With millions on the table, what would you do?

Manny Machado (the biggest name in baseball free agency, along with Bryce Harper, this offseason) has apparently signed a record 10-year, $300m deal with the San Diego Padres. 

For the record, I think Machado is a grub. Of course, I don't know his off-field character, but his on-field play leaves a lot to be desired at times. He's a prodigious talent, no doubt, but he plays dirty. Not hard - dirty! And he deliberately risks injuring other players. Ask Dustin Pedroia and co. 

That aside, I would love to know the real backstory of the path to his signing with the Padres--a team in a rebuild, and, even with this signing, probably not in sight of postseason glory for a long time, if at all. He apparently had deals, albeit not as large, on the table from teams in much better shape, most notably the Yankees (who were also said to be his preferred destination). So it begs this question: 

The Money or the Title? I don't know the exact figures, but, for argument's sake, would you take $25m/per year and join the Yankees now, knowing that your signing would basically tip them into favouritism for a World Series this year, or take $30m/per year from a team with virtually no chance of winning in the foreseeable future?

Would you drive the hardest bargain for every possible dollar, or take less to play in a team ready to win?

If I were Machado, and even though I'm a Red Sox fan, I would've signed with the Yankees. In a heartbeat. Part of me is sad he didn't. I would have enjoyed watching Chris Sale buckle him to a knee with that filthy slider on a regular basis--and in pinstripes. :hungry:

It's a question that regularly troubles and puzzles me with elite sports stars: how much money is enough? With millions on the table, what would you do?

The Padres have a ton of great talent in the farm leagues. They'll probably be in the playoff hunt in 2-3 years. I'd probably take the $25m/yr and compete right away - but I think that's easier to say when its not you turning down $50m...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

Take the most millions.  Invest. Buy some businesses and become a tycoon. Look at A-Rod and what he has done. He buys and sells businesses all the time.  

It’s business. Nothing personal. Championship?  Not the biggest thing to me. 

You don't think you can do that with $25m per year?

4 minutes ago, CubanAmerican said:

Take the extra millions and buy one of every box in Rob's store.

You should only need those extra millions if you're an Aussie - paying the taxes we do on tobacco. Even then it might not be enough! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

You don't think you can do that with $25m per year?

Sure. But you can have a bigger yacht with $30 million per year. You realize you have to keep the diesel engines on those boats running 24/7 or your food will spoil and Dom Perignon will get too warm.  Fuel costs alone dictate taking the higher contract. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JGD said:

The Padres have a ton of great talent in the farm leagues. They'll probably be in the playoff hunt in 2-3 years. I'd probably take the $25m/yr and compete right away - but I think that's easier to say when its not you turning down $50m...

Agree. #1 rated farm system, I think. Still, it takes a lot of things to go right and a lot of smart moves made to get to that WS title. 

That would be my move, too. Take less, join a team on the verge. Especially with that offensive roster, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez & Co. Add Machado to that list... I'm actually pretty glad he didn't sign with the Yankees! 

14 minutes ago, Cayman17 said:

Sure. But you can have a bigger yacht with $30 million per year. You realize you have to keep the diesel engines on those boats running 24/7 or your food will spoil and Dom Perignon will get too warm.  Fuel costs alone dictate taking the higher contract. 

Lol. Of course. I can't believe I failed to consider that. : )

7 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Win the championship. Legends win 'ships, and no body remembers losers. I would make you a bet Dan Marino would trade every dollar he made to have a Super Bowl ring. Difference of $5 million at that high of price, go where you're going to win. 

I agree. In part. I think Machado has a shot to end up in the HOF, especially if he smartens up his act. So I don't think he'll be forgotten. But, yeah, you play the game for that dream of winning it all at the highest level. I think I could happily sacrifice $5m a year (when still getting $25m!) to have a much better shot at a WS. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dvickery said:

You are kidding right ???

leave 5$million (every year) unclaimed !!!

what part of this story has been left unsaid ???

derrek

The other part of the conversation, would it really be that much left on the table? What value is the brand of Manny Machado the WS winner in the NY market vs. Manny Machado the postseason absentee in the San Diego market? 

After taxes, the real difference is about $2.5 million a year. Still, whether that money pays for a championship or not, what those extra millions could do is feed a lot of hungry mouths, or rescue many women and children from real harm.  

I really don’t mean to turn this thread into a grave matter, but real money + a real heart = possibly real change. 

And Machado could still live like a king. Just saying. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, multi-useless said:

Just to muddy the waters, let's consider - how much more would he make on endorsement deals if he had a ring?  Or several rings?  Taking less $ and winning championships, would be an investment in himself  

Exactly my point from above. I think it would be quite a considerable difference. Especially in a big market like NY.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoeFOH said:

Exactly my point from above. I think it would be quite a considerable difference. Especially in a big market like NY.

But, New York is flooded with super star athletes. If he had signed with the Yankees he would likely lose out on a number of the local endorsements to Judge (not to mention Stanton). You also have seven other major pro sports teams in the city. San Diego may be a significantly smaller market, but he is by far the best player on the only pro team in the city. There is no competition for local endorsements whatsoever. 

As far as national endorsements go, he’s not well liked nationally. So I don’t think a ring will really make a huge difference. What will make a difference is that he won’t be in prime time nearly as much, so there’s a lot less exposure. But the likability issue remains...

11 minutes ago, JGD said:

But, New York is flooded with super star athletes. If he had signed with the Yankees he would likely lose out on a number of the local endorsements to Judge (not to mention Stanton). You also have seven other major pro sports teams in the city. San Diego may be a significantly smaller market, but he is by far the best player on the only pro team in the city. There is no competition for local endorsements whatsoever. 

As far as national endorsements go, he’s not well liked nationally. So I don’t think a ring will really make a huge difference. What will make a difference is that he won’t be in prime time nearly as much, so there’s a lot less exposure. But the likability issue remains...

Good point, but I still think the Yankees machine would be worth more. 

10 minutes ago, JGD said:

As a like long Sox fan I couldn’t agree more! Especially since we are coming up on some really tough contract issues soon. 

Agreed! As much as I hate to admit it, it's a hellishly scary line-up to navigate already... Adding Machado would have been straight up nasty. 

And, yep, we've got a real challenge to hold the current Sox team together. I wouldn't want to lose any of them. Especially hoping for a massive year for Raffy Devers this year. 

49 minutes ago, multi-useless said:

Just to muddy the waters, let's consider - how much more would he make on endorsement deals if he had a ring?  Or several rings?  Taking less $ and winning championships, would be an investment in himself  

This is right on.

• Like 1

300m Machado not even that good.
Personally I would take a pay cut to play on a team that has a chance at a championship every year, and especially at that kind of money. 25 or 30M a year? What’s the difference really? Invest the cash and make up they other few million and get a ring!
Mind you in a sport like hockey where top players are making less than half that per year and rarely sign for 10 years, it may be a different story. Getting 1M a year compared to 1.5 or 2M is a big difference than 25-30M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not easy but I’m a lifelong Orioles fan. I’m glad he’s gone. Spectacular tallemt but it’s obvious the O’s worked hard to keep a firm thumb on his attitude and propensity to play dirty. Bye Felicia. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gcman68 said:

The Yankees never really made an offer near 10 years so it wasn't that hard a decision. Unlike the Red Sox we prefer not to buy our championships! ?

Lol. Who are you trying to kid, Joe? : )

Good to hear from you, mate. It's a been a while. You went quiet in early Oct for some reason. ?