That's a real Payne in the Haas for Brisbane...

MoeFOH

Young Brisbane Broncos prospect Payne Haas, who was due to see some NRL game time this year, has been fined $20k and suspended for the first four games of the season for failing to comply with the NRL Integrity Unit (a contradiction in terms in itself?).

No blockbuster story here, I just wanted to get that pun out there. :lol3:

I'll be desperately disappointed if no Aussie sports journo uses it, today. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/20/haas-fined-$20000-suspended-for-four-nrl-games-by-broncos/

3 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

Young Brisbane Broncos prospect Payne Haas, who was due to see some NRL game time this year, has been fined $20k and suspended for the first four games of the season for failing to comply with the NRL Integrity Unit (a contradiction in terms in itself?).

No blockbuster story here, I just wanted to get that pun out there. :lol3:

I'll be desperately disappointed if no Aussie sports journo uses it, today. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/20/haas-fined-$20000-suspended-for-four-nrl-games-by-broncos/

not just nrl time this year, he'll be playing origin for nsw. he is going to be a massive superstar. 

it was widely reported yesterday in news ltd publications and others. but the reports do vary. $10K was the initial amount and 2-4 games, most likely not including pre-season though no one seems to know. and this seems to be just the broncos fining/suspending him (st george must be feeling so proud), not the nrl. who knows what they will do, if anything. 

info to emerge but at the moment, what has come out seems to be that members of his family (he is from nsw) got into a blue (if we are getting out our puns) and while he wasn't part of it, he either took sides or tried to calm it down. this day and age, instant media sent it about and the nrl jumped up and down and wanted to know what was happening and he told them to bugger off, it was a family matter. given he was an 18 year old kid at the time, probably not an unexpected response. presumably he will know better next time.

clearly he should have gone further and raped someone because then the authorities would do bugger all. 

Just now, MoeFOH said:

Nice one. I didn't know he was a Blue. Hopefully, your "massive superstar" assessment of him will be bang on! 

i'll be very surprised if he isn't on your bench this year. and fifita on ours. two young superstars. but haas is one in a lifetime. a massive human who has endless talent and wins sprints and endurance events at training. has the best motor at the club. all the noise on both of these kids are that they are really good family kids with no hints of character issues. think that was why this has come as such a surprise. 

there is another kid at the broncos called carrigan (and another called flegler) who is a prop/lock who is about 20. yet to play but lockyer was saying that he believes that he will be one of the sensations of this season. in a couple of years, if they stick together, the broncs will have one of the best packs the game has ever seen. now if a few of the young halves could learn to run a game...

8 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i'll be very surprised if he isn't on your bench this year. and fifita on ours. two young superstars. but haas is one in a lifetime. a massive human who has endless talent and wins sprints and endurance events at training. has the best motor at the club. all the noise on both of these kids are that they are really good family kids with no hints of character issues. think that was why this has come as such a surprise. 

there is another kid at the broncos called carrigan (and another called flegler) who is a prop/lock who is about 20. yet to play but lockyer was saying that he believes that he will be one of the sensations of this season. in a couple of years, if they stick together, the broncs will have one of the best packs the game has ever seen. now if a few of the young halves could learn to run a game...

Moved this into "From The Sports Desk" as it'll probably just be you and me commenting. 

He'll need to get some serious NRL minutes to wind up on the NSW bench this year. This suspension won't help. Still, anything is possible. 

I agree overall. My initial assessment was that it might take Seibold 2-3 years to achieve a GF appearance/victory at Brisbane. The more I look at this season, the more I think it wouldn't surprise for it to happen this year. In theory, the Broncos and the Knights should improve leaps and bounds this year. Though I think Nathan Brown is a dud as a coach, their roster is seriously impressive this year. 

David Fifita on QLD bench. Absolutely. 

Re halves, what do you know about young Clifford at NQ? I'm hoping he gets the full-time gig this year, see what he can do. Big shoes to fill, of course. 

3 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

Moved this into "From The Sports Desk" as it'll probably just be you and me commenting. 

He'll need to get some serious NRL minutes to wind up on the NSW bench this year. This suspension won't help. Still, anything is possible. 

I agree overall. My initial assessment was that it might take Seibold 2-3 years to achieve a GF appearance/victory at Brisbane. The more I look at this season, the more I think it wouldn't surprise for it to happen this year. In theory, the Broncos and the Knights should improve leaps and bounds this year. Though I think Nathan Brown is a dud as a coach, their roster is seriously impressive this year. 

David Fifita on QLD bench. Absolutely. 

Re halves, what do you know about young Clifford at NQ? I'm hoping he gets the full-time gig this year, see what he can do. Big shoes to fill, of course. 

we have a sports desk?

will depend on the form of others and yes, a suspension does not help, but if he is fit, i'll be surprised if he does not get at least one game. he is better than fifita. 

think the broncs would struggle to win it all this year. they need halves to click and to manage the game. nikorimi's defence is dire and he does not manage the game. milford is terrific but not that cronk/lockyer/johns/lewis game manager. sounds like dreaden might be that but he is only 17. there are 5 young halves following nikorimi and milf - dreaden, paix, o'sullivan (from the roosters), tanah boyd and one i forget. they consider that they have some seriously talented kids here.

young forwards out the wazoo - haas, fifita, joe o, tevito P, lodge, sua, flegler, carrigan, turpin, mago et al. plus gillett, glenn, mccullough, fulsom?, a few more.