I may have a problem...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But that’s what Camp W is for. Decided to rearrange my collection today. Have been having some trouble with my refrigerated cabinet and a cigars on the lower two shelves. I have to pull them out

It's a sticker to warn the buyer "Wives finding purchased cigars can cause crying in the fetal position.", i'm pretty sure that's the translation but I don't speak French.

Dad, is that you?

3 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Yes, your problem is that there is still room in those humidors :lookaround:

Don’t those sticky notes fall off?

Actually have 5 boxes that will not fit... ?

1 hour ago, mtapia3 said:

You have made El Pres a rich man. 

Some did come from El Pres....

4 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Yes, your problem is that there is still room in those humidors :lookaround:

Don’t those sticky notes fall off?

Yep. I see the problem too. Definitely need to place a lot more orders to eliminate it. :cigar:

Awesome collection!

So in regard to the humidity issues, do you ever run into problems or is this just you doing checks?

With any wine fridge being turned on, it's going to introduce humidity into the unit, that's just the by product of having them turned on. You'll need a system in place to remove that or the boxes and cigars with just soak it up or/and you'll get puddling. 

Is the area where your live/house a low or high humidity area?

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Awesome collection!

So in regard to the humidity issues, do you ever run into problems or is this just you doing checks?

With any wine fridge being turned on, it's going to introduce humidity into the unit, that's just the by product of having them turned on. You'll need a system in place to remove that or the boxes and cigars with just soak it up or/and you'll get puddling. 

Is the area where your live/house a low or high humidity area?

I live in a desert.   Humidity is quite low.  Overhumidified is just not going to be a problem.  The 1/2 gallon reservoir in that cabinet gets refilled monthly.   I really think it’s because the air isn’t circulating well in that unit (over full or not designed well?), and I’m not sure how I’d hook up additional fans for circulation.   I’m sure it can be done....   there’s one 120mm CPU fan attached to the reservoir that cycles on per the settings and blows down into the water to create gas exchange.   It’s connected by a phone cord and plugged in via a phone jack down low in the unit.   It shouldn’t truly be a problem to engineer a few additional fans into that loop, but I just haven’t thought much about how to accomplish it. The shelves are packed full and not sure where I’d mount a couple extra fans....  

I should smoke faster and eliminate a few boxes. ?

The old icebox humidor also has a 1/2 gallon reservoir, but I only refill that every three months.  It seals up much tighter.  It’s packed far tighter as well, but i’ve allowed passages for complete cabinet circulation, and with it not being cooled I just do not see any mold growth at all in there.  Set and forget on that one AND the smaller end table cabinet as well.    Good circulation there and no air conditioning in the unit. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

But that’s what Camp W is for.

Decided to rearrange my collection today. Have been having some trouble with my refrigerated cabinet and a cigars on the lower two shelves. I have to pull them out every couple of months to make sure no mold is beginning to form.  I think the problem largely is the result of that cabinet being over-full.  If I could turn the refrigeration off and allow the humidification to run I think it would be fine, but because that cabinet is refrigerated some condensation must form  in boxes on the lower shelves. So I decided to take my current rotation boxes that I pull out with regularity and move them to those bottom two shelves. And I put all of my discontinued, regional and Limited edition stock in the icebox humidor. While I was at it I made a complete list of all the boxes. I should’ve added bullet points but didn’t think of it until afterwards.  I can always redo my list, but now I know everything that I have on hand. Interesting finding boxes that I had forgotten about… It’s happened before.   

And I’m a Tetris master now... ?

5D9115DB-B3C4-4ED4-AC5E-14294CB0E01C.jpeg

B6319ABF-1AD9-4EDC-B0E2-38A8CD336FFC.jpeg

1198A04E-431F-4985-A554-EB034DF0F17E.jpeg

8B633B1F-5A69-430F-BBE3-45B14868D17D.jpeg

Now THAT's a problem I'd love to have!!!!

:gangup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

I live in a desert.   Humidity is quite low.  Overhumidified is just not going to be a problem.  The 1/2 gallon reservoir in that cabinet gets refilled monthly.   I really think it’s because the air isn’t circulating well in that unit (over full or not designed well?), and I’m not sure how I’d hook up additional fans for circulation.   I’m sure it can be done....   there’s one 120mm CPU fan attached to the reservoir that cycles on per the settings and blows down into the water to create gas exchange.   It’s connected by a phone cord and plugged in via a phone jack down low in the unit.   It shouldn’t truly be a problem to engineer a few additional fans into that loop, but I just haven’t thought much about how to accomplish it. The shelves are packed full and not sure where I’d mount a couple extra fans....  

I should smoke faster and eliminate a few boxes. ?

The old icebox humidor also has a 1/2 gallon reservoir, but I only refill that every three months.  It seals up much tighter.  It’s packed far tighter as well, but i’ve allowed passages for complete cabinet circulation, and with it not being cooled I just do not see any mold growth at all in there.  Set and forget on that one AND the smaller end table cabinet as well.    Good circulation there and no air conditioning in the unit. 

That's quite good then, no need to particularly worry about mould etc then as long as air flow is ok. With a full humidor it shouldn't need much in terms of fan power because there isn't much free space, and when boxes have reaches equilibrium with the Rh of the humidor then you only really have to worry about the free spaces between boxes. 

If you don't open up a humidor do you find they stay stable? If your can divide up your stuff into long term storage, and essentially have those ones sealed up, duct tape ahoy etc, then you only really need to concentrate on the ones you open to constantly to get cigars out of.

Nice collection. Only an American who can’t have daily easy store access might find it useful to inventory that many Cuban boxes. I get it. 

That being said, with your collection being worth probably well over 10k, don’t you think it’s worth joining a club nearby  where you can store at least half of those that you plan to age a bit? Surely the cost of several lockers is not a huge issue in relation to the value at stake here...

5 minutes ago, Edward7 said:

Nice collection. Only an American who can’t have daily easy store access might find it useful to inventory that many Cuban boxes. I get it. 

That being said, with your collection being worth probably well over 10k, don’t you think it’s worth joining a club nearby  where you can store at least half of those that you plan to age a bit? Surely the cost of several lockers is not a huge issue in relation to the value at stake here...

10k? Lol dude that must be on the low-end $25k-$35k. Easy

And do you mean because of fire, etc? Some people have some type of home or umbrella insurance that covers it.

I would definitely not want my collection in some random store/club. Something about having them at your own place and being able to check on them or show them off or whatever. Would rather not spend $100/mo or whatever it costs to store 10 boxes in one locker somewhere.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Edward7 said:

Disagree.  People hold and age their own private stock all over the world.  It doesn't need to have anything to do with any other factor.  It's something people enjoy doing.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

10k? Lol dude that must be on the low-end $25k-$35k. Easy

And do you mean because of fire, etc? Some people have some type of home or umbrella insurance that covers it.

I would definitely not want my collection in some random store/club. Something about having them at your own place and being able to check on them or show them off or whatever. Would rather not spend $100/mo or whatever it costs to store 10 boxes in one locker somewhere.

You’re right. There are probably 100 boxes there and even if they are all reg production, they would touch 25k easily. But my point is that it’s all worthless if your own humidification is not up to par. What use are moldy cigars to anyone?

Most reputable places would have sufficient control over their humidification and temp. 

I didn’t mean I would be afraid of losing them in a fire as much as I would be worried about less than ideal storage. Id just want to ensure that they stick around long enough that’s I can destroy them one by one with a controlled fire ; ) 

Also, good luck asking xyz insurance to cover your Cuban cigars.  

4 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Why?

You can insure just about any tangible asset.

Cuban cigars are not illegal in the U.S. Buying and selling them is...owning them is most definitely not.

I do have insurance through a supplemental policy with my homeowner’s insurance.

@Edward7 I think the system is fine if it’s not over filled as already mentioned. The mold I’m talking about is not copious amounts of fluffy blue/green flora.   It’s salt specks, just like many El Pres sells not infrequently here at times: in fact, I think he had some up earlier this week.  Not a major concern to me, but  It’s something I monitor so it doesn’t get crazy.   I don’t see it in boxes on the top shelves, just the bottom two.  And never see it in either of my non refrigerated storage units.