a worthy candidate for the darwin awards...

Chinese live-video streamer drank himself to death

21st February, 2019 by Natalie Wang

A 29-year-old man living in Northern China has died after consuming litres of alcohol, cooking oil and other beverages for three months non-stop, while doing live-video streaming on one of the country’s popular social media apps.

Chu live streamed himself drinking cooking oil (Photos source: Weibo)

The man identified only by his surname, Chu, collapsed and died after his final broadcast on 31 December following a live steaming session of him drinking alcohol in a supermarket in the port city Dalian on the Chinese snapchat-like app Liaoliao, Chinese media The Paper reported this week.

In old video clips, Chu was seen drinking gallons of alcohol and at one time even cooking oil for viewers and fans in order to generate clicks and cash rewards from them.

In some Chinese live streaming platforms, streamers are rewarded with virtual gifts and cash if the content of the video is entertaining and eye-catching, leading many to go to extremes.

In one video, Chu was seen twitching and told his viewers he couldn’t drink any more but was encouraged to go on. Other clips showed him passing out after heavy drinking and vomiting on the ground, according to the Chinese report. Sessions like this would bring in about RMB 500 (US$75) a day.

A friend close of Chu told The Paper: “He has been drinking for three months. Within that time, he was drinking alcohol, beverages, cooking oil and beer. He never stopped.”

Another man called Wang who lent Chu the live streaming rooms felt he was partly responsible for his death, when interviewed.

“Of course, I have responsibility,” he said. “After all, he did the broadcasting in my room. I have responsibility but I was only assisting him and did not force him. He’s someone who knew what he was doing. The primary party responsible for this should be the [live-streaming] platform,” he said.

The Wuhan-based Liaoliao app has been shut down and blacklisted by Wuhan authorities.

Content on the app included drinking, gambling and other “inappropriate” broadcasting material, the report said.

• Thanks 1

Perhaps the Darwin award(s) should really go to the idiots that actually find those posts entertaining? :rolleyes:

It seems pretty big in China, there are numerous videos even on Instagram that show Chinese women and men eating MASSIVE amounts of foods. 
Quite sickening really.

Seriously.... Who thinks "Hey, I'm bored..... why not sit and watch a 40 minute video of someone eating food?" 

*I suppose he thought the cooking oil would coat his stomach in protection from all that alcohol...

42 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

Seriously.... Who thinks "Hey, I'm bored..... why not sit and watch a 40 minute video of someone eating food?" 

We have to be careful 

.....they could say the same re:

Bachelor or bachelorette

Naked survivor or married at first sight   :D

The world is awash with cake

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, El Presidente said:

We have to be careful 

.....they could say the same re:

Bachelor or bachelorette

Naked survivor or married at first sight   :D

The world is awash with cake

bugger the bachelor or whatever it is.

how many (much loved) members sit and watch you and me smoking cigars. never understood it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

bugger the bachelor or whatever it is.

how many (much loved) members sit and watch you and me smoking cigars. never understood it. 

Don’t sell yourself short. You guys are right up there with Laurel  & Hardy, Abbott and Costello and the 3 stooges (minus one.) I like Mel Brooks too.

18 hours ago, MIKA27 said:

Perhaps the Darwin award(s) should really go to the idiots that actually find those posts entertaining? :rolleyes:

It seems pretty big in China, there are numerous videos even on Instagram that show Chinese women and men eating MASSIVE amounts of foods. 
Quite sickening really.

Mukbang is a South Korean fad.

22 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

:confused: I ain't Korean. You need to work on your "Asian Identification" chart. :P

Oh but I know you're not Korean mate! ;) 

Funny thing is a lot of White people are starting to look the same.

Related image

• Like 1