Netflix: The Cuba Libre Story

JeffreyLebowski

Who’s watching The Cuba Libre Story on Netflix? My wife and I are wrapping up season one. Has been great to pick up some add’l history on Cuba. I don’t think taught history in the US is overly concerned with giving Cuban history a fair shake, so it’s been nice to get some points of view that are slightly more global. Those of you who have depth in Cuban history and have watched at least some of this documentary: how accurate is the portrayal of history? What’s being left out that shouldn’t be? One thing I found disappointing is that Cuban tobacco gets almost zero coverage. I had known that sugar was the primary export crop, but I would’ve thought tobacco would get a little bit of emphasis.

1 hour ago, JeffreyLebowski said:

Who’s watching The Cuba Libre Story on Netflix? My wife and I are wrapping up season one. Has been great to pick up some add’l history on Cuba. I don’t think taught history in the US is overly concerned with giving Cuban history a fair shake, so it’s been nice to get some points of view that are slightly more global. Those of you who have depth in Cuban history and have watched at least some of this documentary: how accurate is the portrayal of history? What’s being left out that shouldn’t be? One thing I found disappointing is that Cuban tobacco gets almost zero coverage. I had known that sugar was the primary export crop, but I would’ve thought tobacco would get a little bit of emphasis.

I was going to check this out but I wanted to see more tobacco related coverage so I passed on it

14 hours ago, JeffreyLebowski said:

Actually, public school systems in the U.S. have an extremely skewed view of world and American history. Ask me how I know...haha anyway, I always have done my own research because it took me awhile to figure that out. After 13 or 14, I questioned everything. I prefer to know the real history of something, not a biased or skewed version. Makes no sense. The past is just that, the past. Though it's funny that they say history repeats itself...lots of truth in that.

I will have to check this out tonight on Netflix. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Actually, public school systems in the U.S. have an extremely skewed view of world and American history. Ask me how I know...haha anyway, I always have done my own research because it took me awhile to figure that out. After 13 or 14, I questioned everything. I prefer to know the real history of something, not a biased or skewed version. Makes no sense. The past is just that, the past. Though it's funny that they say history repeats itself...lots of truth in that.

I will have to check this out tonight on Netflix. Thanks!

“History is written by the winners, victors, survivors.” That quote can be attributed to many. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 11:01 PM, shippers said:

I enjoyed it - although a bit repetitive in parts (I guess to help things stick). If you are after a more cigar focused documentary I really liked Prince of Smoke which is on Amazon Video now as well.

Thank you for this recommendation. I hadn’t seen this on Amazon Video. 

On 2/26/2019 at 4:27 PM, Shelby07 said:

Watched the series a few months ago. It was a good watch. As mentioned above, not much, if any, tobacco related info, but lots if history and even interviews with some of the revolutionaries that fought for Castro. 

Interviews with those primary sources are the best part, in my opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CubanAmerican said:

Just finished the whole series. It's pretty spot on. Everything before 1952 is a little slow but after that, it's binge worthy.

Before 1952 period is the one that I don't know alot about, so that part was very interesting for me.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:01 AM, shippers said:

I enjoyed it - although a bit repetitive in parts (I guess to help things stick). If you are after a more cigar focused documentary I really liked Prince of Smoke which is on Amazon Video now as well.

watched this the other week. thought it was great but i wish it was longer. any other good cigar documentaries out there you could recommend? 

watched this the other week. thought it was great but i wish it was longer. any other good cigar documentaries out there you could recommend? 

Watched it last night and I wanted another hour more. Easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CubanAmerican said:

Watched it last night and I wanted another hour more. Easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly! It was super well done. Wish it went into the process a little bit more. If I remember correctly it leaned more towards the story of his life rather then growing tobacco and making cigars 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:55 PM, JeffreyLebowski said:

I watched it last year on my laptop while enjoying a few cigars. I loved the history that was presented very much and recommended it to anyone that is curious about Cuba

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 3:38 PM, ohbob976 said:

Unfortunately not - I agree longer or a series would have been nice following them over the year. Not cigar specific but I enjoyed Cameraman in Cuba which is on Netflix.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, JeffreyLebowski said:

I really enjoyed it.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, JeffreyLebowski said:

Also...do you know that Cuba now has to IMPORT sugar because their domestic production is so low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

@argrovesjd Unreal. Here’s an article out of CBC Canada regarding the current state of affairs between the Cuban and Venezuelan regimes: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/venezuela-canada-cuba-1.5040857

Those of you looking for additional series on or related to Cuba/Cuban tobacco, @shippers mentioned the Prince of Smoke documentary on Amazon Prime Video earlier in this thread. I watched it and enjoyed it very much. While only 24 minutes long, it’s very current and is an up-close look at the Robaina family.

3 hours ago, Hookmaker said:

I f you haven't watched Cuba and the cameraman you've missed a very good story - if you're the sentimental type like me, there's a guaranteed tear shed in the end ?

Agreed, "Cuba and the Camerman" is pretty cool just for the footage of a time in Cuba we don't usually get to see. Got to say though that the fawning Alpert does over Castro gets pretty annoying. Forget about your politics--I can't imagine getting that starry-eyed over ANY politician.

• Like 1