For the Cuban people, nothing will change.

4 hours ago, helix said:

It is a shame, but Cuban citizens disengaged from this process a long time ago. While the votes are legitimate, the feedback and inclusion of items requested by the populous has been hit and miss. They don't feel like they're being listened to. Private businesses have been formally "legalized" and rules governing their legal operation will be included. Same thing with Gay rights. Neither of these things will actually change how Cuban's live because society has accepted homosexuality and private business for years, but the government acknowledging the rights of both is progress. However small. Cuba will still be communist though, thats definitely not changing. 

I know the Cuban people are in a bad way, but short of a Juan Guaido type situation there, what are the alternatives? I don't think there is any appetite, anywhere in the world for the US to execute another Strong Arm Regime Change, including Cuba. Diplomatic efforts have been minimal for years, but with Venezuela collapsing, the final crutch my finally be getting pulled out from under the government. I think Raul is much smarter than Maduro, so I doubt Cuba closes its borders completely, but its a possibility. 

My point is; Its easy to say "somethings gotta change" but pinpointing how to make that happen, then actually making it happen are extremely tall tasks.

12 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

It is a shame, but Cuban citizens disengaged from this process a long time ago. While the votes are legitimate, the feedback and inclusion of items requested by the populous has been hit and miss. They don't feel like they're being listened to. 

This hit home, I wonder how close this is to many countries around the world right now. Is how the Cuban regime react a view to where globally we seem to be tottering towards? Slight of hand combined with utter contempt for the electorate?

I've always views Cuba's political meanderings as a relic from another age, but I'm not so sure now. Maybe there is something there that we should take heed of instead of simply rolling our eyes and thinking it's a situation created and stuck in the past.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 5:09 PM, Corylax18 said:
It is a shame, but Cuban citizens disengaged from this process a long time ago. While the votes are legitimate, the feedback and inclusion of items requested by the populous has been hit and miss. They don't feel like they're being listened to. Private businesses have been formally "legalized" and rules governing their legal operation will be included. Same thing with *** rights. Neither of these things will actually change how Cuban's live because society has accepted homosexuality and private business for years, but the government acknowledging the rights of both is progress. However small. Cuba will still be communist though, thats definitely not changing.  I know the Cuban people are in a bad way, but short of a Juan Guaido type situation there, what are the alternatives? I don't think there is any appetite, anywhere in the world for the US to execute another Strong Arm Regime Change, including Cuba. Diplomatic efforts have been minimal for years, but with Venezuela collapsing, the final crutch my finally be getting pulled out from under the government. I think Raul is much smarter than Maduro, so I doubt Cuba closes its borders completely, but its a possibility. 

My point is; Its easy to say "somethings gotta change" but pinpointing how to make that happen, then actually making it happen are extremely tall tasks.

Watching this whole Venezuela crisis, I can’t help but think of Cuba. What would it take for the Cuban people to say enough? I came up in a time when the regime was still throwing people critical of the Castros in jail and citizens were so hungry they were frying sponges. So the similarities are unmistakable.

I also think of my parents. They went through that. They starved. They fought. They were scared they would die at the hands of their government. I mostly think how sad it is that they might die before they ever see their home again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1