Bluetooth/Wireless Hygrometer

H'mm, maybe that is the key to my recent iOS "dropout" problem....batteries.
Had mine ~4 months on the original batteries. Does that seem within expected service life? 
Will fresh batteries affect calibration?
Until last week, my experience on iPhone has been virtually unproblematic and I would have been quick to recommend the Butlers with this platform. 
I'll go ahead and swap the cells out and see if that resolves things.
The originals battery lasted about three months. Once the indicator gets to about half way I change them. Always recalibrate after changing the batteries for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you considered the Boveda Butler? I have three and I have found that they are within a point RH and a degree F of each other after calibration. Price is also pretty good. The concern mi

I really like my 3 SensorPushes and the gateway. Two are in the same wineador and the other is in a cooler. I have not had them all 6 months so I cannot comment on that. The one I have had for over 3

The Boveda Butler is basically useless if you plan to use it with the android app. There is no way to get it to give you the history via the app. Also, the calibration took a couple of tries with the

I had a Boveda. It never worked with my Android. Sent in a support request and never received a response. Then I asked for a refund and they quickly refunded me within 24 hours. If you have Android I would be cautious. I got the sense they know they have a big problem with that OS. 

I run them on my android with no issues. I did contact them once because the sensor would never calibrate with a two point calibration kit. They responded quickly and even though it wasn't an issue with the sensor itself, but rather the app, they sent me a new sensor in good faith. Keep in mind I bought my first sensor when they first hit the market and spent close to $50 on it. So really I'm about even with the two sensors...

I have both....4 sensor push for almost 1.5 years, 2 boveda for about 6 months. Still orig batts in SP, boveda almost need changing. SP app. is great ,never any issues. Boveda is a piece of crap. As soon as we move and I figure what I am doing for a humidor, the bovedas are getting tossed. 

3 hours ago, Burningman said:

My Bovedas were working just fine until I updated the app last week. I can't get them to connect to my phone anymore. It's a bit annoying. I don't have time to troubleshoot just yet so I threw some of my conventional hygrometers in there for now. 

I was having the same problem. It would find the device then not be able to connect. Failed several times over a couple of days. I don’t know if this was really the solution, but I looked up the location of the Bluetooth antenna and put the transmitter right up next to it. It connected but without the battery indicator. Decided to live with it that way. 

1 minute ago, Chef said:

So far....

Seems like many more people have the Boveda over either the SensorPush or Wireless Tags (no comments so far). However, the reviews for the B are mixed, and the ones for SP are all positive. 

The Boveda is 20 bucks with a calibration kit. I’m sure that is a factor. 

I have both....4 sensor push for almost 1.5 years, 2 boveda for about 6 months. Still orig batts in SP, boveda almost need changing. SP app. is great ,never any issues. Boveda is a piece of crap. As soon as we move and I figure what I am doing for a humidor, the bovedas are getting tossed. 
I like my pieces of crap....they work flawlessly...

• Like 1

I have one Sensor Push but I have a TONE of these.  Several in humidors, in my safe (don't want documents getting to humid) and several other sensors both outside and inside.  I found them to be really well well made, they are quite accurate and are easy to calibrate.  The wireless hub they offer is very affordable and has very impressive range.

I have also been using the below system for many years for humidors and their other sensors as well.  The ability to use them as part of IFTTT allows for some really interesting possibilities.  As an example, I've been controlling my very large wineador's compressor with a tag's temperature sensor since normally the wineador stays naturally pretty cool but it can creep up in temperature.  So I use IFTTT as a safety valve to turn on the compressor in case the temperature goes above my limit. 

http://wirelesstag.net/

Been having a bit of an issue with my Boveda. I installed a brand new Set n Forget from Bob Staebell. I have calibrated this Boveda with a 1 point and then after finding different readings to the Setn Forget I did a 2 point calibration. At no time did the Boveda come close or within at least 6% of the set n forget. Always lower than the Srt n Forget. Talked to Bob Staebell about it and he uses Boveda packs to calibrate his units, so now I dont know which one to use as reference. I did notice the Boveda corrected  itself to -6%@32% and -3% @ 75% using the 2 point calibration. When I manually adjust the offset back to zero it corresponds closely with the Staebell unit. Do I use the Boveda at its corrected calibration and adjust the Staebell to the Boveda or adjust the Boveda to match the Staebell ? Temperatures are within 2 degrees of each other but that darm humidity just needs dialing in to be as correct as possible.

I stepped up to the bluetooth hygrometers just recently. I got myself a Xiaomi Temperature and humidity sensor since they are cheap here. I like how it has a display and bluetooth. I don't think you can calibrate them with the app, but the readings I got were not off by more then 1%. It's Chinese so the app sometimes might be tricky to use, but you can monitor that way. Its meant for smarthome applications, so i might get it connected to wifi at some point (there is a Xiaomi hub you can get).

I'd say it does the job for $12

I have 8 SensorPush in total that I’m happy with. The first 4 I’ve had for +1 year. Other than the price and having to buy a gateway if you have the need for monitoring while on the move, then it’s a very nice product imo. Only issue I had was one that didn’t connect to the app when I first got it. Turned out that the battery was flat. Worked at first attempt with a new battery. A bit unfortunate as I was giving it as a gift for a friend I was visiting for a weekend that lives in another country. And didn’t think to test it before hand as I never experienced the problem with the other 7. So ended up having to take it back with me home before it hit me that I should try changing the battery before sending it back. He has yet to receive his gift but will so within a couple of weeks ?

Well, I've had a couple of Boveda Butlers for a month now, one in each wineador, and they are working great, and quite accurate in comparison to the calibrated hygrometers I've got in each wineador - like 4 or 5. Very happy with my purchase thus far.

Well, I've had a couple of Boveda Butlers for a month now, one in each wineador, and they are working great, and quite accurate in comparison to the calibrated hygrometers I've got in each wineador - like 4 or 5. Very happy with my purchase thus far.
Hi Monk...I've had 3 Boveda Butlers for about 3 mths and have never had a problem with them...I did do the 2 point calibration on them..with the boveda calibration packs...

I also have 3 Boveda Butler's.

I've been running them for almost 3 months now and no real issues. I have 2 in 2  separate tupperdors and 1 in a humidor. They all seem to be pretty accurate and consistent.

However, I will say that iOS does respond much faster than Android. Especially, when it comes to loading past hourly data. Though, sometimes iOS does take some time to update but unlike android, you won't have to kill the app. Bluestream support said they are aware of the issues and will be releasing an update Android app soon.

My only suggestion for calibration would be to do it manually and use the Boveda RH% that you are planning to use for your storage instead of auto with the 75%. I found that when I did the auto calibration (1 point), when I put it in my 65% humidor, it started to read wonky and then started to creep up. Same with one of my friends and his 62% one but since manually calibrating against 65%, I've had no issues.

Just my 2 cents

16 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

The gateway is use to make the sensors working on wifi network and accessible from the Internet. As far as i am concerned, this should not require a seperate gateway. It should work with any standard wifi router that most of us have at home anyways. Their sensors might be good but just because of that gateway thing they won't get my business.

I felt the same way until I realized that the sensors are not on wifi but on Bluetooth LE. My router does not have bluetooth so I see the benefit of buying the gateway. I will probably end up with 5 sensors so the gateway seemed like the right way to go.  Two sensors in the humidor, one in long term storage and 2 in my gun vault. I wish the gateway was $50 but i have no clue what their costs are.

The truth is I am not gone for more than a week ever so there is probably no need to have these but I like them. 

I will add that in comparison to what I have sent in cigar stock the SP is a drop in the bucket and well worth the cost for that added piece of mind. BTW currently reading 63.1 64.4 and 64.9% and I am at the office far from my home. 

On 2/27/2019 at 8:33 PM, Chef said:

Excellent question. Anyone?

On 2/27/2019 at 8:33 PM, Chef said:

Will fresh batteries affect calibration?

Just switched in a new battery in a Boveda. it still thinks it is calibrated from the previous go-around and it is reading the same RH and temp in situ as before the battery switch.

I'm replacing the 2032 cells in all three of my units to see if that solves my occasional app freeze up problem of the past two weeks.

One thing to note on Boveda Butlers...the sensors come with a piece of clear plastic on the front that needs to be peeled off. The plastic covers a hole that might be the "sensor port," so to speak. I mention this because it turns out that I forgot to peel the plastic on one of mine and just noticed while swapping batteries! Easy to miss!

• 3 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread since I'm going through this same dilemma.  

I've go five Boveda Butlers and when they work they are quite nice for the price when calibrated.  I use an old iPhone as a wireless gateway to get remote notifications and that works pretty well also.

Now for the bad.  They eat batteries like crazy.  The low battery alert has never worked.  I've had two of them for about 18 months and the other three for less than a month.  Two of the five have become very intermittent and fail to remain connected or update unless you pull the battery and reset them...one of the original batch and one of the newer ones.  Then they work for a day or two and go back to no connection.  I'm starting to fear that I really can't rely on the other three that are still working for fear they will be dead soon enough.  They just don't seem very reliable.

Going to suck it up and buy one of the SP devices and give it a shot.