Going to CUBA in 5 days! Suggestions on CIGARS and other.

Karedcycling

2 hours ago, Monterey said:

Who said anything about flipping?  Flights from the states to Cuba is cheap.  Given we have little restrictions on how much we can bring back, getting customs AND regular productions is the best way to go.

But I totally understand those from countries that limit cigars to just 2 boxes or so.

2 boxes? Try 50g of tobacco. That is our duty free limit.

Understand it may be different for our Nth American brethren, but I still think you're better off getting customs than regs. Unless you're hopping down to Cuba frequently, why not stock up on customs that you can't get anywhere else besides Cuba?

29 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

2 boxes? Try 50g of tobacco. That is our duty free limit.

Understand it may be different for our Nth American brethren, but I still think you're better off getting customs than regs. Unless you're hopping down to Cuba frequently, why not stock up on customs that you can't get anywhere else besides Cuba?

Already do.  I take out as much as I can.  Roughly 100 customs. After that, time to buy up some good deals.

I buy a lot when I go.

I'm not sure what 50g of tobacco translates to though.

3 hours ago, Monterey said:

I was called down to customs on my last trip.  They had my checked bag in front of them.  I was instructed to open it in front of them.  Then they dived in making sure I had fracturas for everything.  You can have 50 customs/cigars without receipts.   However, if you check luggage and carry on luggage, you can sneak on 100.  50 for each.  They are inspected in different areas.  Carry on inspection when you go thru xray, later on in the waiting area for your checked luggage.  Just make sure to leave your carry on with someone before going into the customs room. :)

?

That wouldn’t be fun.  So, with receipts for the customs, is there still a limit on how many you can take out. 

Just seems to be different amounts posted. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, crasmith said:

?

That wouldn’t be fun.  So, with receipts for the customs, is there still a limit on how many you can take out. 

Just seems to be different amounts posted. Thanks. 

So you will deal with various rules.  Going out, there is no  real limit (known) as long as you have fracturas.  Always demand them.  I had an issue buying a box of la trova (12 cigars) at the partagas factory.  I had to keep buying or else they wouldn't give me one.  There weren't happy until I bought 50 cigars.  I would have walked away, but the were the only place that had that cigar.  And they would only sell me one  At the airport, I was sure glad I had that fractura.

Cuba Issue:  50 customs/singles limit leaving cuba.

Then you go to the US.  There they don't care about receipts.  They care about volume.  There is no hard and fast rule.  You are only allowed to have as much as that falls under "for personal use".  Well, I smoke 30 boxes a year.  So 30 boxes for me is not a lot.  But for most, it is a lot, and the amount flippers (people who buy and sell) bring back.  It is up to the TSA agent.  I came back with 32 boxes last time.  They didn't even ask about my cigars, so I walked thru with no issue.  Someone I know (a dirt bag flipper) came thru with 34 boxes.  They busted him and took all but 4 boxes.  It was awesome.   But another agent may have been fine with that amount.  You just don't know.

US Issue:  100 cigars tax free, 4% tax on the rest, assuming for personal use.

For me, I was shuffling cigars between me and my gal.  She carried half of the customs until we were clear of Cuban customs and waiting for the plane.  Then I took the customs and gave her my 4 most expensive boxes.

Too much work though.  I won't buy that much again.  I'll keep it under 20 boxes next time

22 minutes ago, Monterey said:

So you will deal with various rules.  Going out, there is no  real limit (known) as long as you have fracturas.  Always demand them.  I had an issue buying a box of la trova (12 cigars) at the partagas factory.  I had to keep buying or else they wouldn't give me one.  There weren't happy until I bought 50 cigars.  I would have walked away, but the were the only place that had that cigar.  And they would only sell me one  At the airport, I was sure glad I had that fractura.

Cuba Issue:  50 cigars limit leaving cuba.

Then you go to the US.  There they don't care about receipts.  They care about volume.  There is no hard and fast rule.  You are only allowed to have as much as that falls under "for personal use".  Well, I smoke 30 boxes a year.  So 30 boxes for me is not a lot.  But for most, it is a lot, and the amount flippers (people who buy and sell) bring back.  It is up to the TSA agent.  I came back with 32 boxes last time.  They didn't even ask about my cigars, so I walked thru with no issue.  Someone I know (a dirt bag flipper) came thru with 34 boxes.  They busted him and took all but 4 boxes.  It was awesome.   But another agent may have been fine with that amount.  You just don't know.

US Issue:  100 cigars tax free, 4% tax on the rest, assuming for personal use.

For me, I was shuffling cigars between me and my gal.  She carried half of the customs until we were clear of Cuban customs and waiting for the plane.  Then I took the customs and gave her my 4 most expensive boxes.

Too much work though.  I won't buy that much again.  I'll keep it under 20 boxes next time

All sounds a little crazy to me but I get it. 

I’m just planning on maybe 2-3 boxes and 6-8 bundles of customs.  Just hate to lose any of them.  I will make sure I get receipts and facturas.  There is no real limit on bringing customs out?  I thought I read it as 50 and no more?  Crazy stuff, huh?  ?

My wife will be with me so that may help. 

29 minutes ago, crasmith said:

All sounds a little crazy to me but I get it. 

I’m just planning on maybe 2-3 boxes and 6-8 bundles of customs.  Just hate to lose any of them.  I will make sure I get receipts and facturas.  There is no real limit on bringing customs out?  I thought I read it as 50 and no more?  Crazy stuff, huh?  ?

My wife will be with me so that may help. 

Fixed a typo:  Cuba Issue:  50 customs/singles limit leaving cuba.

As I mentioned a few posts above, if you put 50 in your checked, 50 in your carry on, 50 in your gals checked and 50 in your gals carry on, you SHOULD be fine bringing 8 boxes of customs.   Split between you on the US side 5 boxes for each you and your gal will result in a 4% tax for 2 boxes (1 from you, one from your gal).  At 250 a box, you would face a tax bill of around 20 bucks total.  Not bad for 10 boxes!

51 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Fixed a typo:  Cuba Issue:  50 customs/singles limit leaving cuba.

As I mentioned a few posts above, if you put 50 in your checked, 50 in your carry on, 50 in your gals checked and 50 in your gals carry on, you SHOULD be fine bringing 8 boxes of customs.   Split between you on the US side 5 boxes for each you and your gal will result in a 4% tax for 2 boxes (1 from you, one from your gal).  At 250 a box, you would face a tax bill of around 20 bucks total.  Not bad for 10 boxes!

I’ll take that price anyday!  ?

3 hours ago, Monterey said:

Already do.  I take out as much as I can.  Roughly 100 customs. After that, time to buy up some good deals.

I buy a lot when I go.

I'm not sure what 50g of tobacco translates to though.

3-4 corona sized cigars.

3 hours ago, mtapia3 said:

Are these customs really better than regular production stuff? Or do they mostly hold special value because you can only get them in Cuba? A lot of you guys make it seem like it’s a sin to buy regular production in Cuba. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed Alex's cigars, sometimes more so than some regs. Love the flavour profile of La Puntilla. Also enjoy Reynaldo's petit coronas. Yes, they hold special value as I can't get them anywhere else. Think of them as REs.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed Alex's cigars, sometimes more so than some regs. Love the flavour profile of La Puntilla. Also enjoy Reynaldo's petit coronas. Yes, they hold special value as I can't get them anywhere else. Think of them as REs.

I’m planning on purchasing a few bundles when I go too. I agree, you can’t get them anywhere else. 

Do any of those guys roll lanceros or the like?  Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, crasmith said:

I’m planning on purchasing a few bundles when I go too. I agree, you can’t get them anywhere else. 

La Puntilla from Alex is a lancero.

12 hours ago, crasmith said:

Was asking myself the same for my future trip 

9 hours ago, Fuzz said:

La Puntilla from Alex is a lancero.

Thanks for sharing this Infos Fuzz 

Merci 

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, I am heading to Havana this coming Friday, I am looking to purchase 2-4 boxes for personal use to bring back to Australia via the US and then the UK. Can someone tell me what a Fracturas is please? By the sounds of the thread, I will be needing one to cover myself at Customs. Thanks

10 hours ago, Glaze88 said:

Hi Guys, I am heading to Havana this coming Friday, I am looking to purchase 2-4 boxes for personal use to bring back to Australia via the US and then the UK. Can someone tell me what a Fracturas is please? By the sounds of the thread, I will be needing one to cover myself at Customs. Thanks

Receipt from the LCDH that you purchased from

• Like 1

If you are buying more than a box, they will pretty much automatically write you one up. Just keep it handy as you go thru the airport leaving Havana, as this is the only thing I've ever been asked for leaving Cuba with a lot of cigars--and once they see it, they will waive you right through. If they even ask for it at all.

• Like 2

Regarding facturas, I bought a box at LCHD at the Hotel Nacional. The clerk at the register told me they couldn’t write a factura for one box. I called her on it and told her to keep the box.  A manger approached and chastised at the clerk in Spanish. She apologized to me and filled out my factura.