Work life balance!!

Work life balance! How does one get it right. 

Here I am on a Sunday night please tapping the black plastic keys for work purposes. A cigar would be the perfect way to help that balance of course. Also using the other tried and tested measure, beer o’clock.DA4F81EE-8A1D-47CF-BCF0-5EFCD0FD75E3.thumb.jpeg.5511de22d8511ca6bca51b3893deb74b.jpeg

just interested though, of what others use as a means to help the balance? Any tips or secrets I'm sure will be appreciated by many.

• Like 1

Working as a teacher the issue of a work-life balance can be a bit thorny! I found that working in the UK became unsustainable in this area so I actually moved to work abroad. Best decision I could ever have made! My work life balance has improved immeasurably. I keep work at work now and make sure I go on plenty of holidays and make the most of my weekends. Good cigars, good drinks and good company certainly help!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, David88 said:

Working as a teacher the issue of a work-life balance can be a bit thorny! I found that working in the UK became unsustainable in this area so I actually moved to work abroad. Best decision I could ever have made! My work life balance has improved immeasurably. I keep work at work now and make sure I go on plenty of holidays and make the most of my weekends. Good cigars, good drinks and good company certainly help!

Thanks David. Company, cigars and drinks sure help. I myself have moved abroad from Australia to Hong Kong for work. Has it's pros and cons for me, though as you have mentioned holidays also help. Glad that it has worked out well for you mate.

• Like 2

It's difficult. I've worked the same place for 20yrs. I have maxed out my compensation and vacation hours. We earn a certain amount of vacation and sick hours per paycheck. Because I'm maxed I don't earn them now which means I'm giving money back to the employer. I have 150hrs compensation time (hours in leu of pay), we aren't supposed to have more than 120.

If I take time off it just means more work when I return. Plus I like my job. My weekends are mine though. I may answer an email and must answer my cell, but I'm with my family.

Today I will hit my local brewery for whatever they have that is new and will drink and smoke to you friends. The hard working dedicated group that we are.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I work 24 hrs a shift 10 days a month, I've found it hard from time to time but with family and travel I somehow get it done. Also a good bourbon and a cigar goes a long way. Also making sure I separate and spend time doing stuff I enjoy during my downtime on top of what must get accomplished 

• Like 1

I have struggled with this very much, still do

Working in sales I used to work constantly 7 days a week. When I became a dad everything changed, all the success didn't matter as much, I want to be home at night and put them to bed.

I still work a lot but I say no to a lot now so I can be home.  It just took someone calling me Dada to realize it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can’t define balance until you define what happiness means to you (car, house, clothes, job title, bank account, airline status, 7 course meals, Cohiba and double banders, post card vacations, open relationships with kids, being home for holidays, home cooked meals, sitting with family without a phone in your hand, not having to schedule family time, etc). I’ve learned that life means nothing without physical and mental health. One should never let outside influence, false perceptions , and others define your own happiness. Don’t build a work life around your lifestyle. Don’t place value on things that your kids won’t even remember when you’re gone...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been working for the city for a little over two years now. Most expect that I work a strict 9-5 schedule (many believe municipal workers are lazy/entitled, but most of the people I work with are very dedicated and hard working), but these past 2 years have afforded me very little free time and a pretty dismal work/life balance. With that being said, I’ve been rewarded for all that hard work (3 promotions over 2 years, one of which just came this past week; a good salary for a city job), so it’s hard to complain too much, but it’s taking a toll on my health and social life. With the recent promotion, I’ll be focusing more on delegating so that I can go home at a decent time each night and relax more on the weekends. I’ve also been hoarding cigars with little time to go out for a smoke (living in NYC doesn’t help), so my cabinet is pretty much full. Need to make more room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Private time.  An opportunity to connect with yourself.  Turn off all devices and focus on your well being.  The world will function without you for an hour!

I am a business owner and often times it feels as though you bare the weight of the world on your shoulders.

For me, I receive great mental benefit from physical exertion.  Kicking my own *ss and achieving small goals daily is very rewarding.  And of course, the cigar and libation later in the day feels that much better!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Erm310mce said:

I have struggled with this very much, still do

Working in sales I used to work constantly 7 days a week. When I became a dad everything changed, all the success didn't matter as much, I want to be home at night and put them to bed.

I still work a lot but I say no to a lot now so I can be home.  It just took someone calling me Dada to realize it.

Does take some perspective to align priorities ??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FOHrty9er said:

Private time.  An opportunity to connect with yourself.  Turn off all devices and focus on your well being.  The world will function without you for an hour!

I am a business owner and often times it feels as though you bare the weight of the world on your shoulders.

For me, I receive great mental benefit from physical exertion.  Kicking my own *ss and achieving small goals daily is very rewarding.  And of course, the cigar and libation later in the day feels that much better!

Certainly agree with you on the physical exertion. Giving the body a bit of 'what for' helps keep the mind clear as well.

2 hours ago, Chucko8 said:

Certainly agree with you on the physical exertion. Giving the body a bit of 'what for' helps keep the mind clear as well.

A good surf I find also helps. Though that is a bit tricky here in Hong Kong 

5 hours ago, FOHrty9er said:

This is a key element of balance for me. My regular mountainbiking offers it all: the physical exertion, the adrenaline rush, the perfect platform to turn all else off and be in the moment, the escape to nature, and the “me” time. Without it I would have committed murder by now.

Haha, nice, where's the cigar in the photo??  Even a small one will do.

Yes, the "me" time is extremely important. Whether biking, playing golf, poker, etc., have that time at least twice a week.  A weekday night (Thurs, for ex.) with cigar buddies, then a sport on the weekend. 

I normally have "me" time once a day, after dinner, with a nice cigar, headphones on, nice music, just relaxing. 

Easier said than done, but my credo for work/life balance is to leave your work at the office. I try, and often fail, to check out of the office and not look at work again until next workday. I go the gym regularly, work up a good sweat, and try to portion my spare time into meaningful endeavors, such as family time, household chores, hobbies, stock research and investing, and reading. Of course cigars are a good bit of my R&R.

• Thanks 1