3D Scanner

Does anyone here own a 3D scanner? If so here's the next ask... Do you own a 3D scanner and have 109s in your humidor?

I'm working with a carpenter to make a cigar press/mold for a friend in Cuba for the 109 vitola. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers all!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Wertman said:

Actually i do have a 109 it's a custom from Cuba.  I also have a friend with a 3 d scanner.  Let me reach out to him and see what I can do.

Joe that would be awesome. I'm interested in being exact cause the cap on the 109 is somewhat particular. Round but tapered. I hope I can nail this for him.

Mate that really is overkill. A cigar is rotational symmetric, therefore simple to construct geometrically:

Put your 109 in front of a white background, use a telephoto lens and make a pic. Adjust to scale, print out in b/w, et voilá that's all a mould maker would need.

But even simpler - drawing a contour by hand (or using CAD) would be fine, since length and diameter are fixed, known measures, of RG50 (19.84 mm) x 184 mm. It's only the form / taper of the head that might need closer inspection (if your are in a way concerned about it). If you check out different 109s they are quite diverse anyway, and I don't actually think, Cuba is using one single particular original mould for the vitola.

Here is an example, quick and dirty.

109.thumb.gif.70f535e3f0e7ba51bdd62ee1672347fe.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

Does anyone here own a 3D scanner? If so here's the next ask... Do you own a 3D scanner and have 109s in your humidor?

I'm working with a carpenter to make a cigar press/mold for a friend in Cuba for the 109 vitola. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers all!

Why not commission Mr pigfish to make you plastic ones?.  I think it might be cheaper to get a CNC milling workshop to make them for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, ElJavi76 said:

A really special thanks goes out to my buddy @Chucko8 Kurt. He jumped in and helped without hesitation. Thank you for the 3D scanned images and models. 

One very popular custom roller in Havana will soon be able to roll 109s. I'll be heading to Cuba at the end of May and hopefully put this puppy in his hands. Very exciting! Have a look boys n girls...

Thanks again Kurt. 

Cheers all

Well done to both of you.   always nice to see someone meet a problem, with a solution. 

It's worth while celebrating and remembering that for all the hate and bile the internet seems to churn out these days,  it also realises cool stuff like this.......exactly why Tim-Berners-Lee invented it in the first place. 

Congrats 

• Like 2

Thank you. I think this platform promotes this kind of initiative, and folks that can help generally give without thinking twice about it. I look forward to closing the loop here and seeing his expression upon delivery. The benefit to the community is that all those that visit the this roller will now be able to enjoy a new vitola. I can't wait!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 6:30 PM, ElJavi76 said:

A really special thanks goes out to my buddy @Chucko8 Kurt. He jumped in and helped without hesitation. Thank you for the 3D scanned images and models. 

One very popular custom roller in Havana will soon be able to roll 109s. I'll be heading to Cuba at the end of May and hopefully put this puppy in his hands. Very exciting! Have a look boys n girls...

Thanks again Kurt. 

Cheers all

20190417_162536.jpg

20190417_162546.jpg

Great job @ElJavi76 so happy to have been able to help out with you to get this project completed. Turned out well. Congrats 

• Thanks 2