The Battle Of The Big Boys  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm going away on vacation in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to bring a big cigar with me to smoke on my last night at the resort. 

I have smoked the RyJ Churchill and thought it was just ok. I have smoked the HUSW and thought it was sublime.  However this is the extent of my experience with Churchills and Double Coronas. So, my question to you FOH community, is which of the BIG BOYS would you reach for first?

To level the playing field, let's say current regular production and nothing with more than 2 years of box age.

Have to say Punch DC. Sir Winnie, Lusi, Espy, HdM DC all need more down time than 2 years in my opinion. Haven't had a RAG with less than 2 years, so can't comment there. As for the RyJ, the less I say about it, the better.

• Like 2

Agree with @Fuzz here, it is a shame about the 2 year max age limitation you have placed on these cigars, as all these larger format cigars need more time down in my opinion.
But if push comes to shove, I would choose the Lusi simply because it is my favourite.

• Like 1

Agree with [mention=1537]Fuzz[/mention] here, it is a shame about the 2 year max age limitation you have placed on these cigars, as all these larger format cigars need more time down in my opinion.
But if push comes to shove, I would choose the Lusi simply because it is my favourite.

Only reason for the 2 year max age limitation is because I don’t have any of these cigars with more than 2 years on them, so I want to keep it limited to what I actually have access too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

The HDM DCs perform well young. Several of the others would be a waste. I predict the Lusitanias will be the overwhelming poll choice of the readership here but that can be a lot of cigar for someone not used to a two hour trip down nicotine lane.  The HDM will consume the same time, of course, but it isn't quite as rich as the Lusi.

In the last 2 weeks I have smoked an Esplendidos and a Lusitania that were both less than 2 years old and both smoked well, although they could benefit from another couple of years to round out the edges. I have had most success with young Esplendidos. It depends on what flavour profile you're after. Good luck

I feel like the Lusi's are the most accessible of the DCs. Esplendidos I reach for during special occasions and Sir Winnie's are priced higher than the rest of those DCs. Leaving me with Lusi's. Nothing to sneeze at just more accessible, like I said. 

Have to say Punch DC. Sir Winnie, Lusi, Espy, HdM DC all need more down time than 2 years in my opinion. Haven't had a RAG with less than 2 years, so can't comment there. As for the RyJ, the less I say about it, the better.

Fuzz nailed it, although I would say I’ve really enjoyed some Lusi’s with only 1-2 on them. The rest really do need the time to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the RJ Churchill an excellent cigar, even when young. HDM DC as well.  Young, i'd take those two.  With more than a couple of years, the SW and Lusi's really shine. 

• Like 1

Lotta love for the HUSW, wish I could say so as well, but so far my box has been a let down. I voted for Punch DC, but honestly would probably vote for Lusi's if I voted again. I've only just recently purchased some HDM DC so don't have enough experience with them to be comfortable voting, but out of the small handful I've smoked there has been a lot of potential.

Lusi's looking like the clear frontrunner - this gives me some relief because that is the stick I was thinking of taking with me.....mainly because I have the most of these and I'm willing to gamble with one haha

Surprised to see so much love for the HUSW with <2 years of age though, very interesting

Esplendidos and Sir Winstons are best and have been for a long time.  Price is higher, but there was nothing in the original post about quality to price ratio.

I'd put all the DC's on your list as equal beyond those two. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Esplendidos and Sir Winstons are best and have been for a long time.  Price is higher, but there was nothing in the original post about quality to price ratio.

I'd put all the DC's on your list as equal beyond those two. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't care about quality to price for the purposes of this.  All I'm looking for is.....if you had all of those cigars in your humidor with no more than 2 years of age, which one would you pick?

3 hours ago, Silverstix said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I don't care about quality to price for the purposes of this.  All I'm looking for is.....if you had all of those cigars in your humidor with no more than 2 years of age, which one would you pick?

For under 2 years in age the Esplendidos all the way with HDM 2nd.  Sir Winstons needs more time or you're selling them short.

• Like 1