Cohiba Talisman....."take 2"

Thank you so much for the advise and I do agree with you all! I am going to create a new topic asking for some people recommendations. No more buying to look cool and never smoke them! It’s time to but what’s good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Edicion limitado a menos que se venda bien

They can and have been re-released as well (a one time-rerun is offered to distributors). But if one buys ELs or ERs just because of the "limited-aura" youre doing wrong anyway. True limited productio

Going back to the original release date, there was a 2017 stamped Talisman box at the Varadero airport on Monday when I went through there. A buddy pointed it out to me. Picked it up, looked at the box and put it right back down again, thinking, I can find better. Sure enough, I did. :)

4 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

As mind blowing popular as Last Esepcion was, how have they not released those again?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don't think they sold as well as it appears on forums etc. The jar release apparently came about to shift the unsold stock that wasn't moving

Sure as hell seems like they wont appreciate in value like past Cohiba EL releases. 

There really isnt all that much about the EL and RE programs that excite me. Why spend $500 on a box of robusto extra Ramon Allones RE's or another EL when I could drop $500 on a box of Sir Winstons that I know will be spectacular?

• Like 3

Sure as hell seems like they wont appreciate in value like past Cohiba EL releases. 

There really isnt all that much about the EL and RE programs that excite me. Why spend $500 on a box of robusto extra Ramon Allones RE's or another EL when I could drop $500 on a box of Sir Winstons that I know will be spectacular?

Very true for the price of some of the EL or RE you could get Siglo IV or Trinidad Fundadores plus change for other cigars! I need to take the advise I have seen by my favorite YouTube reviewer drjoe. Great cigars and leave the over priced EL a and RE for others. I am in this for the pleasure not the profit!

• Like 1

I'm interested to see how the non-China market reacts to this. It feels like a good amount of guys went deep on these based upon performance of Cohiba LEs historically, and Habanos is about to burn them by flooding the market.

• Like 2

I don't know about the box codes, surely will be 17s. The story they were telling us at the factory is that they sold out so quickly they didn't reach all the markets around the world. They are still producing so every market gets them.

Feels a little sketch but I never went all in with the ELs and REs anyway so...

• Haha 1

The question is, is the tobaco the same crop as the 2017’s.  The answer, I assume, would be NO. So now imo it’s a regular production cigar. 

I will be very interested to see the box date also.  

21 minutes ago, stunod said:

The question is, is the tobaco the same crop as the 2017’s.  The answer, I assume, would be NO. So now imo it’s a regular production cigar. 

I will be very interested to see the box date also.  

Well, it’s probajly going to be tobacco grown and fermented in the same exact fashion, just that it’s two years later. All things equal, a 2017 og talisman smoked in 2019 should taste like a 2019 vintage smoked in 2021. But that may not be how it pans out at all. It’s anyones right to hoard cohiba EL’s to offload in 5 years. It’s just a lot of work and patience to store and sell in the future. I’m sure a clean box of 2017 talismans will fetch upwards of 1600 in the year 2027. I’m no buyer for that type of shenanigans but doesn’t matter to me if there are willing buyers and sellers. 

If you’re doing it simply to make a profit, there are other ways to make a similar return with arguably less work. 

• Like 1

For people who have bought them to smoke and enjoy over time it won’t matter. If they were bought as an investment then you would be upset.

• Like 3

I just saw a DIC 18 box code for these. So, I guess that answers that. 

On 3/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, CaptainQuintero said:

I don't think they sold as well as it appears on forums etc. The jar release apparently came about to shift the unsold stock that wasn't moving

On both REs, actually. I don't really understand it though, both are really good sticks, in their own way, and not that horribly priced.

I wonder if they started the tobacco batches and still had some left tang had not fully matured till now? So technically this would mean they are the same batch. Would this effect the price for those interested for investment! Personally they are on to a winner as if people see them now they will pay what ever they can to get hold of them!

On 3/6/2019 at 5:03 PM, Edward7 said:

Well said. I follow a fair amount of cigar gram accounts because it's nice eye candy. Other than retailers and collectors, I know that people will pick out their 5 best cigars and place them in their nicest traveling humidor and throw on a bunch of filters or post processing to post a nice shot - and I appreciate the content. It's pretty to look at. But yea, most people aren't exclusively smoking EL's or RE's. Even if you had a large budget for cigars, you would be missing out on the majority of cigars out there. Liking a cigar is purely subjective and I love so many regular productions. In fact, of the EL's I've tried, I preferred the classic profile of its respective marca to the EL profile.

Agreed - for me, regular production on its own gives enough variety and quality to keep me going. I do have some ELs in my humidor but not many compared to the rest. I know some people who smoke almost exclusively ELs and REs... each to there own of course but I don't understand why. There are some great stars in regular production and they are typically cheaper so you can afford to put some away to age.

I'm fortunate that I could probably afford some Talismans (particularly given I don't smoke many in a year) but I can't bring myself to spend on them - for me personally the value just isn't there. Perhaps if my palate was better (or more experienced) then maybe I would see the value as I could pick out flavours better.

• Like 3

I have a couple of boxes from the original release but hadn't smoked one in a while until a couple of weeks ago. I was somewhat disappointed. I recalled them as having more strength and complexity. Mind you, it was still good, just not super special. I'll have one again sometime in near future to confirm. If you've had one recently (and earlier) I'd love to hear how you think they are holding up. In general, I've found some of the LEs don't improve as much with age as non LEs.

I have a couple of boxes from the original release but hadn't smoked one in a while until a couple of weeks ago. I was somewhat disappointed. I recalled them as having more strength and complexity. Mind you, it was still good, just not super special. I'll have one again sometime in near future to confirm. If you've had one recently (and earlier) I'd love to hear how you think they are holding up. In general, I've found some of the LEs don't improve as much with age as non LEs.

That’s very interesting about LE not aging as good!