Beginner's Corner: A rough guide to brand flavours

3 hours ago, rbi said:

To be honest, my palate isn't yet sophisticated enough to taste all of the flavors and be able to distinguish what they are.  For instance, I was smoking a Trinidad Vigia Tubo yesterday and when I retrohaled, I would taste something that tasted clean and a bit tart but I couldn't put my fingers on it.  I did make a note and I described that as "earthy with a pleasant pungentness'.  I later read a review of that cigar on Cigar Aficionado and they described it as having an "earthy truffle" flavor and immediately I was like "YES!  That's it...it was truffles I was tasting."

I think it comes with time, looking back at my first notes they hardly ever had flavours mentioned, it was things like 'pleasant' or 'bit harsh', or even my first Cuaba Generosos earning a 'shit/100' score :D

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The recent thread by @Tollickd asking about cigar suggestions brought up an idea of putting together a very rough list of flavours that each brand/marca usually aims for. This is tastes though so reme

Thank you for the kind words all, I remember seeing something similar when I first got started and it helped so hopefully it's an ok stepping stone  It depends what you're after really. I know

I've found that length is generally the thing which determines time until you get into Double Corona territory. Eg a Corona and Robusto roughly take me about the same time. A Double Robusto is roughly

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What a tremendous write up and valuable contribution to this family of ‘lovers of the Cuban leaf’. Whether a long-time smoker of CC or a newbie, there is something to be learned from what the Captain has written. In fact, several marcas that I have left alone for many years demand a revisit after reading this. Cast my vote to pin this to the top of the forum as an essential reference. Well done brother!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Really enjoyed this write up. Thank you

1 hour ago, FrancisK7 said:

Would the Bolivar PC be a good introduction to the marca? Bolivar and Partagas are the only two readily available marcas I haven't yet tried. 

As good as any probably, that or the Royal Corona or BBF depending on what vitola you prefer.

I remember getting into this hobby reading that as new, you shouldn't try Cohiba or Bolivar because they are too full bodied and I wouldn't appreciate them. It's a load of old bollocks imo, if you enjoy a cigar you'll enjoy it whenever. Grab great examples of whatever you like the look of and fire up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisK7 said:

Between the Bolivar Royal Corona or a PC, is there a consensus on which is superior?

It's probably hard to say if one is superior, if you're liking smaller ring guage then the PC might be more enjoyable for you. The Corona Extra is a perfect middle ground but they're pretty thin on the ground now.

There's one thing that always seems true in that sometimes cigars will always surprise you. Eg, I hate the size but the some of the best cigars I've had have been Petit Robustos. You might enjoy the BBC etc far more than the PC even though it can be an awkward shape to smoke (For me)

On 12/30/2019 at 8:55 PM, mikinva said:

The comparison of Vegueros to JLP and Quintero is way off the mark. JLP and Quintero are short filler, rustic. Vegueros are quality, long filler. The best way to describe Vegueros is unique. Some love them, some don't.

I second this, Vegueros are very nice cigars! I can appreciate that not everyone likes them but that doesn't mean they aren't good cigars. I'm not a fan of some of the sizes but other than that, I'm a big fan.

I know a couple of veteran smokers who swear there is no such things as Cuban Markas and that the cigar taste and quality strictly comes down to the factory producing the cigar. Can someone further elaborate on this. Thank you. 

59 minutes ago, Ramzi said:

I know a couple of veteran smokers who swear there is no such things as Cuban Markas and that the cigar taste and quality strictly comes down to the factory producing the cigar. Can someone further elaborate on this. Thank you. 

On the above statement, it's usually something you see trotted out by those with a vested interest to knock Cuban cigars. There's isn't any basis for it in reality. Least of all that it isn't within the ability of those in charge of the business/manufacturing in Cuba to keep something like this a secret. Same applies to the ones about non-Cuban tobacco being used in Cuban cigars. If it was true, they'd be proof by now.

If you delve a little deeper, and look at/join the blind tasting competitions I'd say from my experience that very generally across some cigars you could say that there is a 'base recipe' that is used that makes up maybe 40-50% of the flavour of a cigar? The rest is then further determined by the blend/wrappers etc depending on what marca they are making. I see this with certain Robustos: Partagas D4, Bolivar Royal Corona, Ramon Allones SS and to a lesser extent Cohiba Robustos. 

But you have to think that there is a general base to Cuban cigars that lends itself to tangy leather, cream, earth. It's what is after that which usually makes the difference.

Kind of like with beer; across them all there's a bitter cereal/grain core that eventually you grow accustomed to and it's the flavours beyond that which you seek/learn to enjoy. Remember those first tries of a beer as a kid, you can't get past that overwhelming core profile to start with, then it fades the more you get used to it.

Cuban tobacco is always going to have a base core of certain flavours because ultimately it's a product made from a single unadulterated crop. There's a huge amount of flavours that can be created beyond the base Cuban tobacco, but in general I'd say most people will say CC across the catalogue have more in common than difference. Same statement can be said to unadulterated NCs

My 2c

• Like 3

On 5/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, FrancisK7 said:

Would the Bolivar PC be a good introduction to the marca? Bolivar and Partagas are the only two readily available marcas I haven't yet tried. 

Can I make the case for the Bolivar No3 Tubo? It's a smaller RG vitola, which seems to be right up your alley, and it's incredibly flavorful! More so than the other Bolivars I tried so far. It also has a deceptively long smoke time for the size. I usually get 1h out of it. If you want to get a taste of Bolivar, and if you can find it, I would suggest the No3 over the PC. Also, and this might be just me, I prefer tubos anyway when I'm getting singles. I seem to have better luck with them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...