Cuban cigars and cellophane

I did not smoke cigars back in 92 when cuba stopped putting cellophane on handmade cigars. For those who were lucky enough to, I was curious if there was a dramatic difference in aroma and flavor profile from the same cigar today without cellophane. I'm not talking young ones, but ones with a few years of age. I ask because my nc cigars with cellophane really keep the aroma going. And have aged cc, mainly cardboard boxes that seem to lack that strong aroma.

10 minutes ago, BarryVT said:

I did not smoke cigars back in 92 when cuba stopped putting cellophane on handmade cigars. For those who were lucky enough to, I was curious if there was a dramatic difference in aroma and flavor profile from the same cigar today without cellophane. I'm not talking young ones, but ones with a few years of age. I ask because my nc cigars with cellophane really keep the aroma going. And have aged cc, mainly cardboard boxes that seem to lack that strong aroma.

It's more noticeable when you sample unopened tubos.  Cigars effectively breakdown, off gas, or decompose like any other natural product.   What you get with 'choked' cigars like unopened tubos, is a cigar that marinaded in its own oils. 

I really enjoy old tubos, it's definitely a different experience.  They are still very bold......."bold and old" is how I would describe them.  It's the best of both worlds, they dont have any rough edges, but still pack a punch.   Cello cigars have this, but not to the same degree.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BarryVT said:

And have aged cc, mainly cardboard boxes that seem to lack that strong aroma.

Cigars sold in carboard boxes are not meant to age in cardboard… Carboard packages were created for airports, duty free, small retail, etc. not for weirdos like us… ? 

• Haha 1

I’m wondering what the difference would be between a cigar stored long term in a tubos vs a cigar stored long term in an unopened 50 cab.  The difference being the oils between cigars exchanging in a cab. I’m sure many have had the pleasure on more than one occasion, but a side by side comparison would be interesting. all things being equal that is (box date and factory among others). 

7 hours ago, 99call said:

It's more noticeable when you sample unopened tubos.  Cigars effectively breakdown, off gas, or decompose like any other natural product.   What you get with 'choked' cigars like unopened tubos, is a cigar that marinaded in its own oils. 

Not only that, but the case could probably be made that lower molecular weight oils cannot evaporate as readily in tubos, so they solvate more complex oils and allow for otherwise unattainable reactions to occur. Like oxidation, I suppose that could be good or bad favor-wise.