AP Regional Help

34 minutes ago, earthson said:

I'm okay with light cigars, but light flavors sounds unappealing.  Still, tobacco varietals have evolved since the lonsdales were last available.  I don't know.  Maybe we should just ready ourselves for another way-overpriced Petit robusto or montesco. ?

If Habanos names a cigar after an existing cigar, the new release should taste similar IMO.  I'd like to see an ERDM belicoso; that would be neat.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ERDM  lancero would be amazing

They were when they existed. Bring back the Ninfas!

Por Larranaga Rústico Format: Dalias 43rg x 170 with a shaggy foot. Profile: A supercharged PLPC. Box: Unvarnished 8-9-8 box.

Russian distributor asked me the same. They even told me it's possible to make multi local marka for ER Rusia. One of those.

Отправлено с моего ONEPLUS A5000 через Tapatalk

They should be asking you - after all, didn’t you singlehandedly sell 1/3 or more of the hermitage RE?
  • Like 1

They should be asking you - after all, didn’t you singlehandedly sell 1/3 or more of the hermitage RE?
Not yet, more than 700 boxes for now, but still selling a lot :)

Отправлено с моего ONEPLUS A5000 через Tapatalk

• Like 1

Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Punch Super Robusto 
2006 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Dobles 50 x 155 (6.1") Robusto Extra Punch Super Robusto
Ramón Allones Estupendos 
2006 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Julieta No.2 47 x 178 (7") Churchill Ramón Allones Estupendos
Por Larrañaga Robustos de Larranaga 
2007 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Robustos 50 x 124 (4.9") Robusto Por Larrañaga Robustos de Larranaga
Bolívar Short Bolivar 
2008 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Petit Edmundo 52 x 110 (4.3") Petit Robusto Bolívar Short Bolivar
Por Larrañaga Belicosos Extra 
2008 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Campanas 52 x 140 (5.5") Pyramid Por Larrañaga Belicosos Extra
Ramón Allones Celestiales Finos 
2009 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Británicas 46 x 137 (5.4") Perfecto Ramón Allones Celestiales Finos
Saint Luis Rey Pacificos 
2009 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Pirámides 52 x 156 (6.1") Pyramid Saint Luis Rey Pacificos
Juan López Selección No.4 
2010 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Pirámides 52 x 156 (6.1") Pyramid Juan López Selección No.4
Por Larrañaga Encantos 
2010 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Dalias 43 x 170 (6.7") Lonsdale Por Larrañaga Encantos
Punch Sabrosos 
2011 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Pirámides 52 x 156 (6.1") Pyramid Punch Sabrosos
Quai d'Orsay Superiores 
2011 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Robustos 50 x 124 (4.9") Robusto Quai d'Orsay Superiores
El Rey del Mundo Aniversario 
2012 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Geniales 54 x 150 (5.9") Robusto Extra El Rey del Mundo Aniversario
La Flor de Cano Grandiosos 
2013 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Edmundo 52 x 135 (5.3") Robusto La Flor de Cano Grandiosos
Diplomáticos Bushido 
2014 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Nro.109 50 x 184 (7.2") Double Robusto Diplomáticos Bushido
La Gloria Cubana Revolution 
2015 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Montesco 55 x 130 (5.1") Robusto La Gloria Cubana Revolution
Rafael González 88 
2016 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Británicas Extra 48 x 137 (5.4") Perfecto Rafael González 88
Bolívar Silver Jubilee 
2017 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Gordito con Cabeza Tumbada 50 x 141 (5.6") Robusto Extra Bolívar Silver Jubilee
Ramón Allones Silver Jubilee 
2017 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico
Montesco 55 x 130 (5.1") Robusto Ramón Allones Silver Jubilee

table source: CCW

Mean    51 x 145

Median 51 x 141

From the last 5 years

Mean    52 x 144

Median 50 x 137

Thickest (all time): 55

Longest (all time): 184

If I were PCC I would go with a

Por Larranaga 56x160 - lacquered 20ct and 88 special boxes with 88 cigars :)

Medium to strong strenght with sweet retrotaste.

• Like 2

With so many thick regular production cigars coming out, whats the point of a yet another fat RE? 898, lonsdale or a lancero will definitely stand out in with what's currently being produced. 

• Like 1

With so many thick regular production cigars coming out, whats the point of a yet another fat RE? 898, lonsdale or a lancero will definitely stand out in with what's currently being produced. 

Not all tobacco makes a thin cigar. The more leaves in the cross section, the more diverse the cigars can be created.

1 hour ago, nKostyan said:

Not all tobacco makes a thin cigar. The more leaves in the cross section, the more diverse the cigars can be created.

Perhaps...

The larger the ring gauge, the more tobacco - obviously. But how is it filled? Lots of seco and volado? Ligero bomb? I know thicker cigars can be properly blended, but my personal thought is that it ends up being more of an aesthetic.

A thinner cigar uses less leaves, but can often be no less, if not more, complex. For me a thinner cigar almost always has a more intense delivery of flavor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Run with me on this one.... Culebras!

Whatever marca you want, but culebras, like the Partagas. Underrated cigars, cool and functional shape, smoke alone, smoke with 2 friends, etc. Prices would probably be reasonable-ish. What's not to like? 

7 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Perhaps...

The larger the ring gauge, the more tobacco - obviously. But how is it filled? Lots of seco and volado? Ligero bomb? I know thicker cigars can be properly blended, but my personal thought is that it ends up being more of an aesthetic.

A thinner cigar uses less leaves, but can often be no less, if not more, complex. For me a thinner cigar almost always has a more intense delivery of flavor.

Each brand has a distinctive taste because it is tobacco from the same plantations every year. But tobacco is not only different in leaf type, each small farm (vegas) has a slightly different taste. Combining tobacco ligador corrects the mixture every year for regular cigars, because the taste of tobacco is also affected by the weather and etc, which is slightly different every year. You may note that not all brands have thin cigars in their regular portfolio. This is also due to the fact that it is difficult to create a good blend limiting the format from the existing set of leaves. Therefore, if you request a regional cigar of a thin format, it is better to do it for a brand that has a similar format in a regular one.

I in principle consider not correct to set a format at the order of the regional. It's like limiting an artist to the size and theme of a painting. On the contrary, the Creator of the cigar has to offer a format for which he can choose a good mixture.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, Colt45 said:

I know thicker cigars can be properly blended, but my personal thought is that it ends up being more of an aesthetic.

I'm not positive but I would speculate that a larger RG necessitates more volado to burn properly. 

I will say that in the past it seems the larger RG cigars were more likely to be strong. Until 2000 cigars like BCG, Punch DC, RAG, Monte 2 and many Robustos could be much stronger than their smaller RG counterparts. The recent trend however is for larger RG cigars to be milder in general. I'm not sure if this is an intentional blend decision due to demand for milder, larger cigars or to insure proper combustion.

That being said, I don't think anyone who smokes CCs regularly could argue that smaller RG cigars are any less strong or complex than many of the large RG CCs.

33 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I will say that in the past it seems the larger RG cigars were more likely to be strong. Until 2000 cigars like BCG, Punch DC, RAG, Monte 2 and many Robustos could be much stronger than their smaller RG counterparts. The recent trend however is for larger RG cigars to be milder in general.

This brings up another thought I had at the time, but did not ask about...

Generally, but perhaps more so relatively recently, does the MCC (monopoly of Cuban cigars) decide on a size first, then come up with a blend, or do they come up with a blend and then determine what they believe an appropriate ring gauge...

2 hours ago, Jeanff said:

I can see a PL selling well. Would be interesting to see a skinny salomon, same length but 52 rg at its thickest point with a more subtle taper towards the head...

That would be a Romeo vitola (Cuaba Distinguidos, Boli Tesoros). 

3 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Generally, but perhaps more so relatively recently, does the MCC (monopoly of Cuban cigars) decide on a size first, then come up with a blend, or do they come up with a blend and then determine what they believe an appropriate ring gauge...

Lord only knows, but most likely the vitola comes first as that's the limiting factor. But I could imagine a case where they have a blend in mind that only works with a large RG. 

Personally, I can't recall smoking any large RG cigar recently and thinking wow, this level of complexity could only be achieved with this large RG. It's not like a Trini Vigia is twice as complex as a Reyes. At least recently, I feel larger RG just means more volado. 

I should take 4 El Principes and have Carlos Fernandez take them apart and make it into a Robusto Extra and see how it smokes! 

On 3/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, in0gravity said:

I would love to see the Diplomaticos No 7 again

Regards
Lars

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

A second thought, if Pacific Cigar can convince the Cubans to make a longfiller Quintero as a Regional Cigar I would love to see a Quintero Churchill (Julieta No. 2).

regards

Lars