Deleted

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

My dad didn't, but I think he was a bit clumsy delivering his "support for the Cuban people" story(it was his first time down) so the agent got a bit suspicious. I  declared 100 (my first time declaring anything). The agent I dealt with was at the end of his shift and in a VERY bad mood. He asked if I had any cigars or rum (while staring at my declaration sheet declaring both) and I gave him the wrong answer. "That's what the form says right?" It was late and I clearly wasn't thinking straight.

He stands up in a huff and tells me to follow him. So we go to the carousel, grab my bag and he takes me back to the private inspection area to be handed off to another agent. He wanted everything to be Seized and even stated to another agent "my shift is almost over, but if I have to stay to inventory and seize them I will." Fortunately their was a line at secondary inspection and the agent I finally spoke to was so offended by the smell of 150 fresh farmies and custom rolls that she pushed me through without actually counting them. I was honest with her that I had about 190-200 cigars, but she didn't even want to stand within 5 feet of the bag once I started pulling the cigars out. 

So DON'T declare!!! That would be my first piece of advise. My second is, have a good background story. When pressed, I tell any agent that asks that I travel to the island to donate my time helping farmers build or rebuild facilities in rural areas. I have a construction management degree and dozens of photos of me at farms and in very rural parts of Cuba. I say "They don't have money to pay, but are very generous, so they pay me in room/board, food and CIGARS. I don't want to offend them by refusing." Its worked, very well, every time. and its only partially false, I would get out their in the fields with Hector's guys if he would let me! ?

Havana is a different story. You have to remember that Customs agents earn $10 to $15 a month. I always place ALL of my cigars into my checked bag, if that bag does get pulled I have found the ladies in the secondary inspection room VERY easy to work with. It doesn't matter where your facturas are, as long as they are all in the same place and easy for you to access. If you are missing facturas or are over the 40 stick limit for unbanded cigars they aren't going to just let you walk, but they WILL work with you. ?

Wow!  Luckily you slid through. 

Got it!  Don’t declare. Just figured they might check when you don’t declare. 

Sounds like Cuban customs may be a little different. I worry about getting out with them. Not getting an excessive amount between my wife and I but worried none the less. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for all his faults..... he does appear to be a remarkably good judge of character 

100 per household?  So I’m brining my wife for nothing?    

some years ago in brisbane, at the international airport, i had a massive dispute with a customs security idiot. this was leaving, not returning. he had decided that being 14 years of age, he'd show e

22 hours ago, Riverstyx said:

@MD Puffer Very interesting.  Didn't the OP say they confiscated 350?  None of these seizures are anywhere close to that amount.  I wonder if the rest were taken home by the customs agents to...dispose of by fire.

Yes, 350. No surprise here. They refused to give me a receipt and case number for the seizure, both of which are required. They were just stealing in my opinion.