Deleted

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

for all his faults..... he does appear to be a remarkably good judge of character 

100 per household?  So I’m brining my wife for nothing?    

some years ago in brisbane, at the international airport, i had a massive dispute with a customs security idiot. this was leaving, not returning. he had decided that being 14 years of age, he'd show e

1 hour ago, bpm32 said:

Heck, I didn’t even know you could bring back meat at all. The Norwegians kept insisting I should buy a bunch of Mylar-sealed whale meat and I just laughed at them....

Certain meats from certain countries in certain types of packages are permitted, but good luck finding out which are OK.

I'd trust German products on purity and safety above American supermarket junk, personally.

Now I just say "Cheese and a bottle of rum for my wife from duty free." Cheese is always OK and I usually buy some in European countries for my Cheese eatin' Dutch wife. Best not to hint at anything complex and involved. If I'm toting a pack of smoked wild boar, it might not immediately leap to mind at the entry desk..

Anyway, I buy most of my cigars online and let the government agency USPS bring them to my door tax free with free shipping! But going to Cuba would be a different proposition entirely.

Kevpro and NSX are right. I contacted the CBD about the threshold that determines what is personnal and what is business. Even though the law states that anything above the exemption is subject to be taxed at a rate of $0.0426, for a maximum of one thousand cigars or $42.60, it is entirely up to the officer to decide if whatever you're bringing in is for personnal use or not. That day he felt that anything above a hundred wasn't for personnal use. There is also another grey zone, the law and taxes are different for small cigars and large cigars. Then again, there is no preset value as to what lengt, size, weight is a small or large cigar.

In November I had Cuban Customs take all but one bundle of my custom-rolls at the airport.
You know what I did ? Nothing. I sat there and asked questions in a polite manor because I knew there was 0 chance I can change their minds, no matter how polite or mad I was. I really don't see what the point of yelling and demanding is going to get you, other than the person definitely won't be helpful. Once you are pulled aside to be checked, you are pretty much screwed. The only difference in my story was dealing with the Cuban side. No one here knows what rights we really have with their customs. I also don't want to fight with them and somehow end up in a super nice Cuban holding cell for any reason, heh.
Your loss of cigars sucks, but how do you bring back 24 boxes in one trip and claim that as personal ?

6 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Of course it goes without saying that none of us are foolish enough to use our actual names as forum handles....oh, wait...I stand corrected.:lol3:

all true of course. but then i would claim i have nothing to hide. and seriously, is there a handle out there i could use that would take some computer expert more than 4 seconds to get through and find out who i am if they wanted to. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colt45 said:

I read through all this, and I can't help but think of a line from the Baretta theme song - don't do the crime if you can't do the time....

It's like getting popped for speeding and blaming the cop, when I knew I was speeding.....

colt, i had a "mate" (well, a bloke who was on the same hockey team as myself whom i suspect has spent many years at HM's pleasure) who had five car accidents in fairly quick succession.  three he accepted responsibility (i dread to think how bad they were), the fourth he was unsure of as he was removing something from his glovebox when he had ploughed into another vehicle. he seemed to think that was an excuse. he was less certain when quizzed on what he was getting out of his glovebox while driving - turned out to be a blow-up sex doll. 

the fifth he point blank refused to accept responsibility. the reason, and i swear i am not making this up, they should not have built the lounge room so close to the road. yes, he had crashed through a fence and into a house. but not his fault as too close to the road. 

blame is all a matter of perspective. 

Wow that is a tough blow for sure, and as others have said it sure does come down to the agent on duty. I have be taxed hard on some, and well as had hassles over the years. I used to get SO raged about it, but in getting older and smarter over the years, I look at it this way. How many times did I NOT get taxed/pinched, so in the end I let it go. The Gov. will always stick it too us, so be glad for all the ones U got through. I agree the "rules" are kind of gray, but what do they ever print that's clear? I'd also be careful next time, as I will bet a box of cigars u will be flagged next time. I'd give it a time or 3 before I brought back more than 100.

2 hours ago, Zedman05 said:

In November I had Cuban Customs take all but one bundle of my custom-rolls at the airport.
You know what I did ? Nothing. I sat there and asked questions in a polite manor because I knew there was 0 chance I can change their minds, no matter how polite or mad I was. I really don't see what the point of yelling and demanding is going to get you, other than the person definitely won't be helpful. Once you are pulled aside to be checked, you are pretty much screwed. The only difference in my story was dealing with the Cuban side. No one here knows what rights we really have with their customs. I also don't want to fight with them and somehow end up in a super nice Cuban holding cell for any reason, heh.
Your loss of cigars sucks, but how do you bring back 24 boxes in one trip and claim that as personal ?

I have heard of people offering to pay a "fine" while staying polite ,in this situation, and it has turned out well. Did u have them in carry on? I'm sure they would rather have cash than cigars I would think. I think I would put customs in checked , but that's just me....then if caught, offer to pay. I thought there was a rule about only being allowed 25 unbanded ? That may be why u were allowed to keep 25? 

It's actually 50 if you are smart.  25 when you go thru security with your carry on, 25 more when they call you back later for your checked luggage.  Just don't be dumb enough to bring your carry on cigars with you to the checked bag search :)

I have heard of people offering to pay a "fine" while staying polite ,in this situation, and it has turned out well. Did u have them in carry on? I'm sure they would rather have cash than cigars I would think. I think I would put customs in checked , but that's just me....then if caught, offer to pay. I thought there was a rule about only being allowed 25 unbanded ? That may be why u were allowed to keep 25? 
All custom rolls were in checked. They xray'd my carry on, which had a couple boxes. They asked for facturas. I produced them. Then was walking around the secure area of airport and was called back 10 mins later to open my checked bag.

6 hours ago, Colt45 said:

We can't say, as any discussion of shipping is "frowned" upon

:wink2:

my apologies.

I was more looking how the application of tax was applied...didn't mean to encroach on the shipping practices taboo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 3:56 PM, Colt45 said:

Who's interpretation? (and I mean that sincerely)

Do not know the $ amount or the 100 cigar rule but I live in S. Florida. A lot of my smoking buddies would just bring back 4 boxes. All 25 count boxes with no problem. So bringing back 4 50 count cabs I don’t know along with a dollar amount rule. But I can assure you 4 25 count boxes you are good. And that will most definitely be under $800, more like $650-700

what if you fly from cuba to canada and drive home or ship the cigars from cuba home or to a mailbox in canada and have it shipped to you in the US, its not like your trying to bring drugs in lmao

Limits for Canada are 50 cigars per person and 750 total value.
Taxes on overage is 1000x more than the ever so sweet USA 4%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

Could it be customs in Miami specifically?  If you review all 2019 CC seizures (which are posted by law on forfeiture.gov), they all occur in Miami. 

Fascinating! I can't believe this is true, but when I searched the site, I couldn't find a Cuban Cigar Seizure at any other port of entry in the U.S. 

?!?!?!?!?!?

I always have great luck in Fort Lauderdale (it seems the agents just don't care)

My dad and I were both pulled aside for counts last year on our way back through Tampa(we travelled on separate days) we were both over the one hundred limit (he was about 25 over, I was about 95 over) but both agents decided their time to count, catalogue, and write up the paperwork to charge us for the duty on the overages would have cost more than the Duties charged, so they let us both go with all the cigars and no bill. 

I've also flown back from Havana through Newark Airport and Houston, no trouble at either location, ever. I'll make sure to avoid Miami.

1 minute ago, Corylax18 said:

Fascinating! I can't believe this is true, but when I searched the site, I couldn't find a Cuban Cigar Seizure at any other port of entry in the U.S. 

?!?!?!?!?!?

I always have great luck in Fort Lauderdale (it seems the agents just don't care)

My dad and I were both pulled aside for counts last year on our way back through Tampa(we travelled on separate days) we were both over the one hundred limit (he was about 25 over, I was about 95 over) but both agents decided their time to count, catalogue, and write up the paperwork to charge us for the duty on the overages would have cost more than the Duties charged, so they let us both go with all the cigars and no bill. 

I've also flown back from Havana through Newark Airport and Houston, no trouble at either location, ever. I'll make sure to avoid Miami.

GREAT info. This is why I love this site lol I'd rather go through any other airport than Miami anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

?!?!?!?!?!?

Did you guys declare anything?  Just curious as I am flying back into FLL in July and was wondering wether to declare or not. 

Still confused on leaving Havana and what to show and not to show. I guess I show all receipts but not all cigars?  Confusing. 

• Like 1

here's the data:

1. Seized on 03/07/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 20; EA; Valued at $175.03; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

2. Seized on 03/18/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 50; EA; Valued at $250.06; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

3. Seized on 03/12/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 25; EA; Valued at $1.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

4. Seized on 03/12/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 25; EA; Valued at $324.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533 

5. Seized on 03/13/2019; At the port af MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 36; EA; Valued at $215.05; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

6. Seized on 03/13/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 25; EA; Valued at $261.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

7. Seized on 02/05/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 25; EA; Valued at $1.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

8. Seized on 02/11/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 40; EA; Valued at $534.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

9. Seized on 02/12/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 25; EA; Valued at $1.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

10. Seized on 02/13/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 20; EA; Valued at $174.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

11. Seized on 02/22/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 25; EA; Valued at $187.53; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

12. Seized on 02/22/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 10; EA; Valued at $150.01; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

13. Seized on 03/06/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 40; EA; Valued at $1.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

14. Seized on 03/06/2019; At the port of MIAMI INTL ARPT; CUBAN CIGARS; 20; EA; Valued at $1.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(d), 31 CFR 515.533

15. Seized on 01/22/2019; At the port of FT LAUDERDALE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT; Unknown brand cigar; 48; EA; Valued at $240.00; For violation of 19 USC 1595a(c)(2)(B), 50 USC 1702, 31 CFR 515.204

I cross-referenced the boolean search results of both "cigar" (and excluded "cigarettes" (of which some were Cuban but were mostly Chinese- who smokes Chinese cigarettes?!) and "Cuban" and came up with the same results.  Seizures are posted by law, so the list is hypothetically comprehensive.  Unless I'm missing something obvious here, it would appear CCs only get seized in Miami.  Obviously these refer to packages, but the finger I'm pointing is at Miami.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, crasmith said:

Did you guys declare anything?  Just curious as I am flying back into FLL in July and was wondering wether to declare or not. 

Still confused on leaving Havana and what to show and not to show. I guess I show all receipts but not all cigars?  Confusing. 

My dad didn't, but I think he was a bit clumsy delivering his "support for the Cuban people" story(it was his first time down) so the agent got a bit suspicious. I  declared 100 (my first time declaring anything). The agent I dealt with was at the end of his shift and in a VERY bad mood. He asked if I had any cigars or rum (while staring at my declaration sheet declaring both) and I gave him the wrong answer. "That's what the form says right?" It was late and I clearly wasn't thinking straight.

He stands up in a huff and tells me to follow him. So we go to the carousel, grab my bag and he takes me back to the private inspection area to be handed off to another agent. He wanted everything to be Seized and even stated to another agent "my shift is almost over, but if I have to stay to inventory and seize them I will." Fortunately their was a line at secondary inspection and the agent I finally spoke to was so offended by the smell of 150 fresh farmies and custom rolls that she pushed me through without actually counting them. I was honest with her that I had about 190-200 cigars, but she didn't even want to stand within 5 feet of the bag once I started pulling the cigars out. 

So DON'T declare!!! That would be my first piece of advise. My second is, have a good background story. When pressed, I tell any agent that asks that I travel to the island to donate my time helping farmers build or rebuild facilities in rural areas. I have a construction management degree and dozens of photos of me at farms and in very rural parts of Cuba. I say "They don't have money to pay, but are very generous, so they pay me in room/board, food and CIGARS. I don't want to offend them by refusing." Its worked, very well, every time. and its only partially false, I would get out their in the fields with Hector's guys if he would let me! ?

Havana is a different story. You have to remember that Customs agents earn $10 to $15 a month. I always place ALL of my cigars into my checked bag, if that bag does get pulled I have found the ladies in the secondary inspection room VERY easy to work with. It doesn't matter where your facturas are, as long as they are all in the same place and easy for you to access. If you are missing facturas or are over the 40 stick limit for unbanded cigars they aren't going to just let you walk, but they WILL work with you. ?

49 minutes ago, Riverstyx said:

@MD Puffer Very interesting.  Didn't the OP say they confiscated 350?  None of these seizures are anywhere close to that amount.  I wonder if the rest were taken home by the customs agents to...dispose of by fire.

I was curious about that myself.  The customs publications all say "port of" and it appears that's distinct from what's confiscated in the airports proper.  If the folks in the airports don't have to account for what they're seizing, then that's a serious oversight issue.

Off topic, it's a very interesting read to see what all is seized in customs in the various ports across the US.  By and large, I think they're doing a fine job (CCs aside of course).