NRL: Top Refs to earn upwards of $300k

MoeFOH

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/12/top-flight-referees-set-to-earn-more-than-300k-per-year/

Will we see an increase in performance to match? I doubt it. I'm not against anyone earning whatever they can, and reffing is not easy, but I think it should be relevant to the industry/position. And that seems a lot to pay a ref. Especially given the fact that they don't have to face the media like players and coaches do. 

i will say that i believe the standard in league to be streets ahead of days gone past. i think the NFL has much higher standards than many fans accept.

in league, as every sport, there will be errors. 

what i find beyond comprehension is rugby. the standards there have sunk. they are awful. one problem for super rugby is that so often they do not have independent refs. if i see angus gardner in charge of a nsw or qld game, i will usually immediately give up watching. aside from being a complete slimeball, and this may be unconscious on his part, he really should be up for every man of the match award for every nsw game. disgraceful. 

but even when they are independent, there is no consistency. so many errors, so much missed, so often one side gets away with the same things the other is penalised for. they are really incompetent as a generalisation. and they are light years below the standard of league refs. 

Probably hard to not pay the refs as the league generates huge profits, also wouldn't be opposed to fines similar to the players but for missed calls or performance based. Having said that refs already get assigned based on performance reviews.

16 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i will say that i believe the standard in league to be streets ahead of days gone past. i think the NFL has much higher standards than many fans accept.

in league, as every sport, there will be errors. 

what i find beyond comprehension is rugby. the standards there have sunk. they are awful. one problem for super rugby is that so often they do not have independent refs. if i see angus gardner in charge of a nsw or qld game, i will usually immediately give up watching. aside from being a complete slimeball, and this may be unconscious on his part, he really should be up for every man of the match award for every nsw game. disgraceful. 

but even when they are independent, there is no consistency. so many errors, so much missed, so often one side gets away with the same things the other is penalised for. they are really incompetent as a generalisation. and they are light years below the standard of league refs. 

I'm not a rugby fan. Never have been. And one of the main reasons for that is the refereeing. For me, it's a sport that has rules which are wider open to varied interpretation than most others. Thus, when the reffing is bad, or even when the ref has a high level of involvement, I find it unwatchable. And if, as you say, the standard has plummeted, then I can only imagine what a horror show it is to watch. 

I think the NRL has gotten better. But they should have--two refs and all. I think the worst part of the NRL at the moment, going on last year in particular, was the propensity for the big wigs to jump in and tinker with the rules, or rather the ref's stringency on certain rules, throughout the season. So frustrating for fans, players, and coaches. It's not rocket science. Everyone says it every season--just give us consistency! 

6 hours ago, FireMedic said:

Probably hard to not pay the refs as the league generates huge profits, also wouldn't be opposed to fines similar to the players but for missed calls or performance based. Having said that refs already get assigned based on performance reviews.

Yeah, I think if you're going to fine them you put too much pressure on them. But they could earn their money through consistent, top-level performances (i.e. bonuses on top of a base) as an alternative. 

In sum, I probably don't mind them earning that figure, so long as their performances rise to meet it. Right now, I feel that's overpaying them a bit. 

By the by, @FireMedic are you entering our tipping comp? 

16 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Yeah, I think if you're going to fine them you put too much pressure on them. But they could earn their money through consistent, top-level performances (i.e. bonuses on top of a base) as an alternative. 

In sum, I probably don't mind them earning that figure, so long as their performances rise to meet it. Right now, I feel that's overpaying them a bit. 

I'd be just fine with instead of fining them for mistakes bonuses for performance, little less pressure that way and basically ends up being a wash in the end. I saw the tipping post and to be honest was at work and didn't click the link and didn't quite understand the premise without clicking. Is it like pick'em for rugby?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Never mind I joined, what's the worst that can happen? Bit late to the party though 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2019 at 1:27 AM, MoeFOH said:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/12/top-flight-referees-set-to-earn-more-than-300k-per-year/

Will we see an increase in performance to match? I doubt it. I'm not against anyone earning whatever they can, and reffing is not easy, but I think it should be relevant to the industry/position. And that seems a lot to pay a ref. Especially given the fact that they don't have to face the media like players and coaches do. 

what about business classes lol? they should have way more income than that 300k lol, it's a billionaire business and can't even be compared with normal ones. Just imagine pilot's annual salary, most of them are riding ferraris and bentleys, what can u say about that 300k lol.. I want to do it myself, to achieve such high achievements, and I started with a small step.. started with a best app to sell clothes and will make little by little till I can afford myself pilot lessons.. and then years by years.. but where can it get me just imagine that.