1st Box Purchase

Today I received my first box of cuban cigars from an online vendor. It is a 10ct box of the Quai D'Orsay 50.  How long should I let them sit before smoking one? At the moment, I do not have a humidor to hold the entire box. Should I put a small Boveda pack in the box?

I appreciate your feedback!

• Like 1

You can always make a coolidor! Kinda of a great way to store them if you don't have a humidor to stores boxes. And as far as letting them sit you can try one now see how it is and as time goes on see how the flavor changes. No right or wrong answer just depends if you can discipline yourself to age your cigars. 

• Like 1

If you have a rectangular shaped Tupperware style container you can use that to either place the box or the cigars themselves in it. With a Boveda pack if you have one. This should suffice for temporary storage. Then plan on and budget for a humidor if you are going to start accumulating boxes of cigars. Cheers!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cbenham73 said:

As another option, I guess I could just remove them from the box and place them in my 50ct humidor to rest? Then put them back in the box once I have a larger humidor to hold the box.

Yes, and my opinion only - it's ok to throw out the box!

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

If you have a rectangular shaped Tupperware style container you can use that to either place the box or the cigars themselves in it. With a Boveda pack if you have one. This should suffice for temporary storage. Then plan on and budget for a humidor if you are going to start accumulating boxes of cigars. Cheers!

So, this...

2 hours ago, Frozen North said:

If all else fails. Buy a box of Ziplock freezer bags. Toss in a 65% Bovida. Then let them sleep for at least a month.

This...

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The lads have covered the storage. 

As for the wait.  30 days minimum, 60 days preferrable. 

And this!

3 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

Be careful. It’s one deep rabbit hole!

Storage and rest have been covered.  Focus on @MD Puffer and his advice!  ?. All of a sudden, you’re looking at your Visa bill thinking “WTF just happened!?”

Welcome @cbenham73 to this community!  It’s a great place to be.

- Wheezy

• Haha 1

Congratulations on your first box :)

I have tried to smoke a cigar the day after it arrived. I must say that it tasted great if you ask me. But I'm a beginner aswell and will try them again after 2 months and see how they changed.

At some point, I think it would just be easier to seal up the doors & windows of the house and line your walls with boveda packs. Then you don't have to be constantly looking for new coolers/tuppers and playing the never-ending game of Tetris to fit that new box into storage!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ac031898 said:

At some point, I think it would just be easier to seal up the doors & windows of the house and line your walls with boveda packs. Then you don't have to be constantly looking for new coolers/tuppers and playing the never-ending game of Tetris to fit that new box into storage!

Now that is dedication. Wanting to move into your humidor with your cigars is a sign of a true cigar lover!

On 3/13/2019 at 7:02 PM, cbenham73 said:

Today I received my first box of cuban cigars from an online vendor. It is a 10ct box of the Quai D'Orsay 50.  How long should I let them sit before smoking one? At the moment, I do not have a humidor to hold the entire box. Should I put a small Boveda pack in the box?

I appreciate your feedback!

Classically, QdO have needed a few years from boxcode to start opening up in terms of flavor and losing the elbows and knees from youth. I never cared for the brand, so cannot comment on recent production.

Cooler is best option, as mentioned ad nauseum.  Poke around here and see what people are saying smokes well with little downtime, unless you want to stare and drool for 3-5 years!

My list of smokes needing no age is short: Partagas Shorts and Por Larrañaga Panetelas.  An additional piece of advice: some vendors will send you a list of boxcodes they have in stock - pick something that's already been sitting around for a while.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Whatever size humidor you think you need, double it and maybe you’ll have enough storage space a year or two from now.  

We’ll leave a light on for you at Camp W.  We don’t judge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:47 AM, Pharmacovigilant said:

Whatever size humidor you think you need, double it and maybe you’ll have enough storage space a year or two from now.  

We’ll leave a light on for you at Camp W.  We don’t judge.

Exactly! That was the primary reason I went down the cooler route. Once one is full, I just buy the next :2thumbs: