australian brandy - sullivan's cove. thoughts?

Ken Gargett

Didn’t know they did Ken but thanks for the heads up ?

On 3/13/2019 at 11:20 PM, Ken Gargett said:

also interested in thoughts on their whiskies. or any other tassie whiskies. 

I think Sullivan's Cove is the only distillery on Tasmania. I've sampled their whiskey, quite fine but expensive. Worth trying out at MSRP looking at the rest of the whiskey world, ignoring the values that you can pickup easy. The brandy is very expensive from what I see, and I've only come across closed bottles, alas.

4 hours ago, Çnote said:

I think Sullivan's Cove is the only distillery on Tasmania. I've sampled their whiskey, quite fine but expensive. Worth trying out at MSRP looking at the rest of the whiskey world, ignoring the values that you can pickup easy. The brandy is very expensive from what I see, and I've only come across closed bottles, alas.

the products are expensive for sure, but they are often just one or two barrels and seriously good stuff.

as for tassie distilleries, no, there are numerous distilleries. no idea how many but at least a dozen or more. 

4 hours ago, Çnote said:

did some checking. in 2016, at least two dozen with a lot more on the drawing board. 

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

did some checking. in 2016, at least two dozen with a lot more on the drawing board. 

Awesome 

Hopefully more will hit USA distribution, I'm a morr than a little myopic in that regard.

2 minutes ago, Çnote said:

Awesome 

Hopefully more will hit USA distribution, I'm a morr than a little myopic in that regard.

good luck with that. we see almost none on the mainland so not sure how many you'll offshore. same t=with their wines and they make a lot more of those. but worth chasing when you see one. 

19 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

good luck with that. we see almost none on the mainland so not sure how many you'll offshore. same t=with their wines and they make a lot more of those. but worth chasing when you see one. 

I see some good Tasmanian pinots and sparklers, but yeah, not the 'best.'

Geopolitical economic trends indicate USA distribution should trend up for things like this, but as most English heritage distilleries are heavy on gins, there's limited distribution due to top level thinking and ego driven relationships. It's never about quality of product, just money.

I've only had Sullivan's Cove whisky once at Heston's restaurant in Melbourne. From memory it was slightly floral in nature and very good but I was also a bit drunk so it probably wasn't the best time to try it. I have also tried Nant whisky which from memory had a touch of honey characteristic. Didn't know about the Brandy.