Condolences to our New Zealand brothers and sisters

It's dreadful, just dreadful.

I can see where it comes from. Just yesterday, I had a US-based college friend, an educated successful woman, warn her Facebook friends of the "Islamicization" of London (UK), that Sharia law was coming and that they will be chopping limbs off transgressors any day now. There was no arguing with her.

Unfortunately, this is what the media has people believing about muslim communities. It has been going on for 20 years now, at least.

Unfortunately, it's the extremists, like yesterday, who make the loudest noise and the most news. How much coverage will the resulting peace marches in muslim communities worldwide receive today and tomorrow. I can guess.

• Like 3

Waking up to the terrible news. Let us hope that the livestream/video of this mass murder gets fully removed from the internet before it spawns copycats and followers. 

• Like 1

It's horrible.  People should be able to talk about their differences.  But pure hate and evil just horrible.  I work with a lovely Muslim lady who truly is the nicest kindest person I have ever met.  Every person who encounters her walks away feeling the same way. Such a shame there are so many great people in this world who have their lives taken away for no reason.  My heart goes out to NZ.  They all need to pull together and hold eachother close today.

• Like 1

As dreadful as this is, it has become all too common, I'm starting to become apathetic whenever another one occurs.

Right? I’m not even that old (I’ll be 40 next month) and I remember a time when news like this would truly shake people to their core. It’s not just shootings, it’s everything. Mass murder, life destroying Ponzi schemes, corporate malfeasance, rape, etc... What changed? Is there a cultural problem? Are we just getting more exposure from a more technologically advanced, round the clock media? Perhaps it’s neither or some mixture of both.

It’s a terrible place to be when we aren’t shocked by things like this anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, soonerwings said:

Right? I’m not even that old (I’ll be 40 next month) and I remember a time when news like this would truly shake people to their core. It’s not just shootings, it’s everything. Mass murder, life destroying Ponzi schemes, corporate malfeasance, rape, etc... What changed? Is there a cultural problem? Are we just getting more exposure from a more technologically advanced, round the clock media? Perhaps it’s neither or some mixture of both.

It’s a terrible place to be when we aren’t shocked by things like this anymore.

I think you’re right about increased exposure to the news. In the US at least we’re seeing the lowest homicide rates we’ve seen since the 1940s. Crime in general is at about the late 1950s to early 1960s levels—basically the time people are so nostalgic here about.

• Like 1

Too much ignorance in the world. Once again, stupid and evil join forces to senselessly and brutally destroy. I too am growing numb to hearing of such events, but it never stops disgusting me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

It's dreadful, just dreadful.

I can see where it comes from. Just yesterday, I had a US-based college friend, an educated successful woman, warn her Facebook friends of the "Islamicization" of London (UK), that Sharia law was coming and that they will be chopping limbs off transgressors any day now. There was no arguing with her.

Unfortunately, this is what the media has people believing about muslim communities. It has been going on for 20 years now, at least.

Unfortunately, it's the extremists, like yesterday, who make the loudest noise and the most news. How much coverage will the resulting peace marches in muslim communities worldwide receive today and tomorrow. I can guess.

Agree about the extremists, but the most common estimate of extremism is appx 1% of the Moslem population. Not many folks realize how many 1% of TWO BILLION actually is ! I, for one, didn’t realize until today that the Moslem population is approaching 25% of the entire population on earth...scary thought.

1 hour ago, Hutch said:

Agree about the extremists, but the most common estimate of extremism is appx 1% of the Moslem population. Not many folks realize how many 1% of TWO BILLION actually is ! I, for one, didn’t realize until today that the Moslem population is approaching 25% of the entire population on earth...scary thought.

However much I do agree with the worries of salafism, this truly isnt a time to debate the deep troubles facing some sects of Islam. No matter what your beliefs and depth of knowledge on Islam are, no act of such barbarity should be followed with a 'but'. I'm friends with a number of people from the middle east, and the ones who I know are wonderful, true Americans. One is even in special forces and is a freaking stud soldier. This act is not only despicable, but it makes this terrorist just as evil as the muslim terrorists who hit on 9/11 to the ISIS fighters who raped and murdered their way through Syria and ISIS. I just hate it to my core that there are members of western civilization who still think this way, especially since my grandfather endured 7 years of Nazi relocation and slave labor camps. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Peace be with you today, brother. I'm happy to see that at least here, there's very little hatred and bias being demonstrated.

Peace be with you today and all days bro! I can only agree with you... maybe cigars make people, better people? ?

• Like 1

My friends know of my views on religion (any religion, not just specific ones), but I couldn't care less what religion a person choose to follow. Let those who wish to follow, seek out a religion for themselves. When a religion and their followers seek to impose their beliefs on others, then I have a problem with that.

In saying this, I do not see any extremist as following a recognised and lawful religion. Extremists of any race, creed or colour are vile, despicable beings that need to be exterminated with extreme prejudice. There is no coming back to our society for that filth.

I sympathise with my NZ brethren during this terrible ordeal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

indeed. been following this most of the day. a truly appalling event. i know a lot of people oppose the death penalty but i can think of nothing more suitable for such truly vile grubs. as the nz pm said, they are not one of us. 

If it were up to me it would be a slow and painful death for those that do this type of thing.

• Like 2