None Cubans

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Non-Cuban" is an extremely broad spectrum.  You're just going to get a list of everyone's personal favorites. I love strong, peppery Nicaraguan tobacco.  So I would recommend any Miami made Tatu

Series V Melanio is one of my very favorite NC's

My go to change of pace NC are Illusione CG:4 -utter cream and chocolate bombs Liga privada-super rich almost EL like, dark chocolate, later and smoke-almost fire cured Neither are pepp

1 minute ago, aphexafx said:

That's an extremely broad spectrum.  You're just going to get a list of everyone's personal favorites.

I love strong, peppery Nicaraguan tobacco.  So I would recommend any Miami made Tatuaje.  They are strong, flavorful, and made to Cuban standards.  ?

http://www.tatuajecigars.com/cazador.html

http://www.tatuajecigars.com/miami-reserva.html

What do you like in a cigar?

+1 on Tatuaje. Also, NCs are somewhat a distant memory after I discovered CCs, but I recall liking Curivari.

depends on your flavor preference and budget. Some I know will be great every time are padron (I prefer the 1964 maduro torpedo), almost all Tatuaje except the monster series, perdomo has some good blends, Arturo Fuente, etc. many on here have recommended warped and illusione, although I haven’t tried them. 

Personally, I cannot stand non Cuban montecristo or red dot Cohibas. They are expensive and not worth the coin. Sometimes it’s better to know what to stay away from just as much as what to go for. That list is almost as long as the quality non Cubans.  

Hope this helps a little. 

• Like 1

My go to change of pace NC are

Illusione CG:4 -utter cream and chocolate bombs

Liga privada-super rich almost EL like, dark chocolate, later and smoke-almost fire cured

Neither are pepper heavy, more dark, rich and creamy. I do love some padron but they can be hellishly nicotine heavy if you're not used to NC tobacco (like me!)

• Like 3

Spicy - Tatuaje Verocu 

unique - Tatuaje black (I like the petit lancero the best)

Not a huge fan of Fuente or Drew Estate

not a huge fan of Illusione either, but I do like the line he blended to smoke with champagne. It’s called Epernay

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bri Fi said:

Personally, I cannot stand non Cuban montecristo or red dot Cohibas. They are expensive and not worth the coin. Sometimes it’s better to know what to stay away from just as much as what to go for. That list is almost as long as the quality non Cubans. 

I wholeheartedly agree and further recommend avoiding everything made by any of the giant cigar conglomerates.  They are why non-Cuban cigars get a bad reputation.  They are filling a gap in the US market and they just plain suck.  Just my opinion.  ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cayman17 said:

Spicy - Tatuaje Verocu 

unique - Tatuaje black (I like the petit lancero the best)

Not a huge fan of Fuente or Drew Estate

not a huge fan of Illusione either, but I do like the line he blended to smoke with champagne. It’s called Epernay

Forgot about the eprnay.  Those are quite good too.  

Illusione epernay, Illusione Haut 10, Illusione Cruzado, Illusione Singulare Miserere, Illusione CG4!

Warped La Colmena

Padron 50 year natural

Opus X(needs a few years of age tho)

Tatuaje SW Reserva, Tatuaje Monster Michael

My Father #4

Davidoff Winston Churchill Churchill 

• Like 1

I don't have much experience of NCs but the Davidoff Escurio range is very good IMHO. Some say the Davidoff Yasama range is close to Cuban but I didn't like the one I had a couple of years ago, stinky.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Akela3rd said:

I don't have much experience of NCs but the Davidoff Escurio range is very good IMHO. Some say the Davidoff Yasama range is close to Cuban but I didn't like the one I had a couple of years ago, stinky.

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

The Escurio range is pretty damn decent

All is subjective and varies based on personal taste. But these are some of my favorite go toos.

Liga #9 - awesome

Hirochi Robaina habano 2000- the name says it all when it comes to quality.

Opus x- with some age

Padron 1964- prefer to the more expensive 1926

Sobremesa- a blend from Steve saka of Dumbarton tobacco & trust, former President of Drew estates 

23 minutes ago, Ritch said:

I notice no one has suggested Rocky Patel. Are they any good?

RP has some OK cigars, but nothing to rave about or seek out.   RP’s reputation among aficionados in the non-Cuban realm isn’t very good. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ritch said:

I notice no one has suggested Rocky Patel. Are they any good?

Rocky Patel is usually contentious, they have a lot of lines, and some are ok some are not. However like with most cigars everything is very subjective 

The flavor range varies due to mood and drink pairing.  1) padron 1926= very full body.   2) fuente Casa Cuba= exotic citrus tang, unlike any other stick I’ve ever smoked, delicious medium body.  3) JSK red knight, temperamental sometimes, but smoke the 1st third slow, and the rest is magical.  

Someone mentioned Dunbarton, I heartily second that, the Sobremesa, and the Mi Querida, are excellent. If you like Bolivar, you should try them  

Also, a friend recently turned me on to the Fratello Bianco, and I’m in love. I can honestly say it has raisin that rivals some of the best RASS I’ve had. And they are perfectly consistent, one after another after another. Medium bodied, not a typical Nicaraguan nicotine bomb.