None Cubans

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Non-Cuban" is an extremely broad spectrum.  You're just going to get a list of everyone's personal favorites. I love strong, peppery Nicaraguan tobacco.  So I would recommend any Miami made Tatu

Series V Melanio is one of my very favorite NC's

My go to change of pace NC are Illusione CG:4 -utter cream and chocolate bombs Liga privada-super rich almost EL like, dark chocolate, later and smoke-almost fire cured Neither are pepp

23 minutes ago, slowsmoke said:

Someone mentioned Dunbarton, I heartily second that, the Sobremesa, and the Mi Querida, are excellent. If you like Bolivar, you should try them  

Also, a friend recently turned me on to the Fratello Bianco, and I’m in love. I can honestly say it has raisin that rivals some of the best RASS I’ve had. And they are perfectly consistent, one after another after another. Medium bodied, not a typical Nicaraguan nicotine bomb. 

I've had a hit or miss history with Fratello but has been very good, when good. The Sin Comprimiso is also good from Dunbarton

I used to like the thinner opus x...hard to find, expensive, and that was years ago. With that being said I just strongly prefer habanos. The non- habanos tobacco is often outrageously overpriced for what it is. Like it was said before, overpriced tobacco for a starving American market. 

8 minutes ago, Euripidespants said:

I used to like the thinner opus x...hard to find, expensive, and that was years ago. With that being said I just strongly prefer habanos. The non- habanos tobacco is often outrageously overpriced for what it is. Like it was said before, overpriced tobacco for a starving American market. 

I somewhat agree but I'm going to try a few none Cubans. One thing I cannot get my head around is how garish and lame the bands look... some of them are a third of the length of the cigar.

10 minutes ago, Ritch said:

I somewhat agree but I'm going to try a few none Cubans. One thing I cannot get my head around is how garish and lame the bands look... some of them are a third of the length of the cigar.

That's just trendy marketing for hipsters.  Not everyone does that.  Look at Tatuaje.

19 minutes ago, Euripidespants said:

The non- habanos tobacco is often outrageously overpriced for what it is. Like it was said before, overpriced tobacco for a starving American market. 

Just to be clear about my comment earlier, I was referring ONLY to the multinational cigar conglomerates, particularly those involved in the Habanos copycat brands.  Otherwise, there is much world-class tobacco to be had, grown outside of Cuba.  With real strength.  Particularly in Nicaragua.  Yum!  :cigar:

2 hours ago, Ritch said:

I notice no one has suggested Rocky Patel. Are they any good?

There are so many Rocky Patel lines, think they have spread themselves thin. The only one that I smoke and I think is their best one is the vintage 1990.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ritch said:

The bands have gotten somewhat ridiculous from some of the brands

*And I've found that one does not have to spend a goo - gobble amount of money to get a good and enjoyable smoke: Mike's Cigar's Cuban Sandwich, Odyssey Bundles, and Quorum are VERY good smokes. Also (when you can find them) for Cigar International, Hendrik Kelner's bundles Original Cubans, only around $44 or so, are fantabulous!  I like to pay attention to what countries the tobaccos making up Non-Cuban smokes are from: I LOVE Brazilian, Cameroon, Peruvian, and Ecuadorian tobaccos, as well as our good old standard Nicaraguan and Dominican bodied smokes.

14 minutes ago, aphexafx said:

Just to be clear about my comment earlier, I was referring ONLY to the multinational cigar conglomerates, particularly those involved in the Habanos copycat brands.  

** THOSE!!?? :confused: :surprised:  With the exception of the NC Habanos copycat brand of Fonsecas - Y-Y-Y-U-U-U-C-K-K!!!  :o

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, cigcars said:

** THOSE!!?? :confused: :surprised:  With the exception of the NC Habanos copycat brand of Fonsecas - Y-Y-Y-U-U-U-C-K-K!!!  :o

Yeah, I agree.  That's what I said.  Actually, I said it more plainly.  I said they just plain suck.  ? ?

I said that I "...further recommend avoiding everything made by any of the giant cigar conglomerates.  They are why non-Cuban cigars get a bad reputation.  They are filling a gap in the US market and they just plain suck.  Just my opinion.  ?"

:peace:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, anjimj said:

You can never go wrong with Tatuaje. Pete Johnson really knows his tobacco and his cigars are very enjoyable to smoke. 

The monster series has been something special

Please don't laugh, but I spent some time with the CAO Amazon Basin. It has been so consistent in its delivery that I can't ignore it. It has never disappointed me once.

• Like 2

For me, a change of pace from CCs would be the following, arranged by strength:

Light and creamy! - Ashton Cabinet Selection OR the Montecristo White - pyramid or robusto

Perfect medium + flavorful - Montecristo Relentless - robusto

Strong - CAO Flathead V660 Carb - deep and tasty - also really really strong nicotine hit - be careful

Cain F Lanceros - Nicaraguan; mostly ligero leaf a strong yet pleasant cigar particularly after a big meal

Headley Grange Drumsticks- another good value Lancero 

Illusione CG4: Typical Nicaraguan earthy/cocoa flavors mixed with a mind blowing blend of tea and floral notes. One of my favorite cigars.

Southern Draw Rose of Sharon: A lighter, gentler cigar with a nice sweetness and a little bit of ligero spice kick.

Southern Draw Jacobs Ladder: This one hits like a sledge hammer. Big ligero spice. Your lips will be tingling with a sweet/spicy oil coating. It hurts so good.

Oliva Serie V Melanio: Sophisticated creamy blend with coffee notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunbarton - Mi Querida

A Fuente - 8-5-8 Sungrown

Leaf BY Oscar - Maduro

Opus X - Lost City

Tatuaje - The Bride

Illusione - Phantom

Kristoff - San Andres OR Vengeance

Charter Oak - Maduro

Oliva V - Melanio

I can go on and on but thats a good variety 

Some of my fav NC's in no particular order:

Illusione (they have a huge line, and never really been disappointed in any of them)

Tatuaje

Curivari

HVC (The Pan Caliente is my fav) 

Crowned Heads (they do require about 3-6 months rest for that sweet spot) 

and of course Padron ( but they can be pricey unless you get the thousand series)

Guest Nekhyludov
21 hours ago, Ritch said:

They say a change is as good as a rest. So what none Cubans do you chaps recommend I try?

Check out the Latest NC Purchase thread. It'll give you a good idea of what members here think is good.

41 minutes ago, irratebass said:

Some of my fav NC's in no particular order:

Illusione (they have a huge line, and never really been disappointed in any of them)

Tatuaje

Curivari

HVC (The Pan Caliente is my fav) 

Crowned Heads (they do require about 3-6 months rest for that sweet spot) 

and of course Padron ( but they can be pricey unless you get the thousand series)

Never had anything from HVC, crowned heads is legit

• Like 1

Just now, FireMedic said:

Never had anything from HVC, crowned heads is legit

Give HVC a try the Cerro is probably their mildest cigar and has more of that "cubanesque" flavor, the San Isidro has more of that earthy/wood/spicy Nicaraguan profile, and of course the Pan Calinete as mentioned is my fav it has more of a Rye flavor. Give em a shot

http://hvccigars.com/#/