None Cubans

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Non-Cuban" is an extremely broad spectrum.  You're just going to get a list of everyone's personal favorites. I love strong, peppery Nicaraguan tobacco.  So I would recommend any Miami made Tatu

Series V Melanio is one of my very favorite NC's

My go to change of pace NC are Illusione CG:4 -utter cream and chocolate bombs Liga privada-super rich almost EL like, dark chocolate, later and smoke-almost fire cured Neither are pepp

23 minutes ago, irratebass said:

Give HVC a try the Cerro is probably their mildest cigar and has more of that "cubanesque" flavor, the San Isidro has more of that earthy/wood/spicy Nicaraguan profile, and of course the Pan Calinete as mentioned is my fav it has more of a Rye flavor. Give em a shot

http://hvccigars.com/#/

I'll give them a go, thanks

I really like lanceros as they were the first boxes I bought when I started out in cigars (still never had a cola though, someday). so the oliva v and liga l40 are always in my line up.  For more standard sizes the don carlos and oliva v belicoso are nice and any size padron 1964 and 1926 are great as well.  I also really enjoyed the alec bradley prensado line but they fell off a bit after getting cigar of the year a while back.

I stick to mainly cubans now as they are both more enjoyable and cheaper for box purchases but every few weeks I have a non cuban and thoroughly enjoy it.  Kind of a pallet cleanser so the next huhc blows me away with its unique punch.

When sharing with a friend who rarely smokes I'm tempted to go non cuban mainly because of construction quality and flavor consistancy.  I enjoy a cuban and can see past the plugs, wonky burns and needing more time as it's all part of the journey and goes in my dream journal.  But if a friend had one a month or longer then I just totally flubbed their rare experience.  Not gonna wow them as much but lower chance of a dud.

Definitely prefer Cubans across the board and aging potential is unmatched, but dont pass on non cubans as there are many great ones and they provide a unique flavor profile that cubans just cant recreate (I flipped it on em)

Here's what's in my humi RN.

• Padron 1964 Maduros
  • Padron 1926 Naturals
  • Davidoff Late Hours
  • Davidoff Nicuragua
  • AVO Syncro Ritmo South America and Domaine
  • LFD Air Benders

New to CC's but probably will not be replacing anything but the Air Benders. Quit my nicotine addiction, so Nicaraguan ligero/seco is way too strong for me, now. The others are decent but not worthy of the cost, IMHO. I like cinnamon spice and cedar blast of air benders. Can find them fairly cheap (~5 per), don't need to think (so good for hanging out with a buddy), and they come in 44rg. I'm finding way more value CCs and as a slow smoker a minuto takes me at least 45 minutes which is perfect.

6 hours ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

I really like lanceros as they were the first boxes I bought when I started out in cigars (still never had a cola though, someday). so the oliva v and liga l40 are always in my line up.  For more standard sizes the don carlos and oliva v belicoso are nice and any size padron 1964 and 1926 are great as well.  I also really enjoyed the alec bradley prensado line but they fell off a bit after getting cigar of the year a while back.

I stick to mainly cubans now as they are both more enjoyable and cheaper for box purchases but every few weeks I have a non cuban and thoroughly enjoy it.  Kind of a pallet cleanser so the next huhc blows me away with its unique punch.

When sharing with a friend who rarely smokes I'm tempted to go non cuban mainly because of construction quality and flavor consistancy.  I enjoy a cuban and can see past the plugs, wonky burns and needing more time as it's all part of the journey and goes in my dream journal.  But if a friend had one a month or longer then I just totally flubbed their rare experience.  Not gonna wow them as much but lower chance of a dud.

Definitely prefer Cubans across the board and aging potential is unmatched, but dont pass on non cubans as there are many great ones and they provide a unique flavor profile that cubans just cant recreate (I flipped it on em)

Have you tried the foundation tabernacle in lancero? It's a fantastic stick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sjmistry said:

I will add another recommendation for Illusione, specifically the Epernay line. 

Another one that I do not believe was mentioned is Paul Garmirian (PG cigars).

- Shake

Love the Epernay Le Ferme and the old Singularé Phantom and Miserere. ?

I smoke cuban cigars 99.9% of the time.

the other 0.01% of the time I'm smoking through a buddies box of La Flor Dominicana La Nox.

Not sure what they are worth cost wise, but they are quite enjoyable! Even for this cuban snob.

Anyone familiar with the LfD La Nox?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

I smoke cuban cigars 99.9% of the time.

the other 0.01% of the time I'm smoking through a buddies box of La Flor Dominicana La Nox.

Not sure what they are worth cost wise, but they are quite enjoyable! Even for this cuban snob.

Anyone familiar with the LfD La Nox?

Oh yeah, I spent many nights with it but it is hard to find those toros. Love them.

• Like 1

Been hard to find decent NC petit corona class cigars after going 95% Habano and learning the joys of a shorter, thinner RG cigar.. The L'Atelier Travailleurs are one of the better ones Ive found.

Flavor spectrum is NC-like--cedar, cream, touch of citrus--but the overall character is smooth and mild, a bit restrained. Flavors don't quite pop like a good Cuban should. Still, enjoyable and worth trying a five pack.

For a spicier NC petit, the Tatuaje no.5 Havana VI Verocu are a good selection.

IMG_0223.JPG

• Like 2

90% of what I smoke is Havana.  Love em.  That said, every once in a while, when I want a change of pace from that delectable Cuban terroir, it's almost always a Fuente.  While Angels Share, Don Arturo, Opus and Anejo top the list, I find the Don Carlos to be every bit as complex as, say, a Punch Punch.  I've also fallen head over heels in love with their discount Montesino line - under the Ecuador Connecticut wrapper, they're every bit as creamy as a HdM, though with a different range of flavors, obviously.  Fuentes, unlike most NC, age a dream.  Don Carlos appear to get better and better and better, while I typically cap Anejo at 10 years.

Experiment!  If the embargo ever ends, or there's another run of bad crop yields, a good NC will be a lifeline!

Also, Nat Sherman Epoca.  Those are some underrated cigars, to be sure.

I, for one, hate the term "non-Cuban" or "NC" even though I'm guilty of using it myself since it's just easy to say or type. It's really belittling to Nicaraguan/Dominican Cigar makers. Of course, like pretty much everyone on this board, Cuban smokes are my favorite, but companies like Padron, Fuente, Tatuaje, etc. deserve respect because they make some damn fine cigars.?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baccy said:

I, for one, hate the term "non-Cuban" or "NC" even though I'm guilty of using it myself since it's just easy to say or type. It's really belittling to Nicaraguan/Dominican Cigar makers. Of course, like pretty much everyone on this board, Cuban smokes are my favorite, but companies like Padron, Fuente, Tatuaje, etc. deserve respect because they make some damn fine cigars.?

It's just the venue.  It's how it goes.  It's a good point that should be made once in a while.  :yes:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, aphexafx said:

It's just the venue.  It's how it goes.  It's a good point that should be made once in a while.  :yes:

Yup. And I’m a lazy typer. Domini.... Nicara.... ah, forget it. 

• Haha 1