Customs Response to Cigar Limit

kevpro

About a week ago there was discussion over what is considered "Personal Use" in regards to the number of cigars brought back from Cuba. I requested US Customs & Border Patrol to clarify and they actually responded although it's still pretty much up to the agent.

A little background: I'm sure everyone from the US is familiar with the below link which states in one area the Cigar limit is 100 then under the Cuba sections states "Declared amounts in excess of the exemption are subject to a flat 4% rate of duty"

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Here is the response form CBP:

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

The admitting CBP officer will determine acceptable limits for personal importation.  If more than 100 cigars are imported, a permit may be needed.

To import cigarettes into the United States (U.S.) that are not intended for personal use or consumption, the importer must first obtain a permit issued by the U.S. Department of Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, click on www.ttb.gov/tobacco/importer_products.shtml

Returning resident travelers, for those over the age of 21 may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Normal limits on duty and tax exemptions will apply to all Cuban origin goods imported for personal use.

Note: Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only and actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.

For more information about duty-exemption or duty rates for other tobacco products, please contact the Ports of Entry directly at www.cbp.gov/contact/ports

Thank you again for contacting our office.

I know this isn't much better than the website but it seems to me the 100 cigar limit is legit and it is up to the CBP agent to determine if any amounts over still qualify for personal exemption. Fortunately, it seems most travelers have been reporting they can pay the duty but I think I'll just stick to 100 and get the rest here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Don't give them a reason to get involved.  They really don't want to.  Just say no.  Works for me every time.  I'll take my chances.  It's Cuban customs I worry about. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, stogieluver said:

Don't give them a reason to get involved.  They really don't want to.  Just say no.  Works for me every time.  I'll take my chances.  It's Cuban customs I worry about. 

Yep, way more trouble getting them out than getting them in.

• Like 2