Coolidor Question

4 minutes ago, Chef said:

As long as there's no stench from whatever was previously stored in it, a used one is just fine.  

I would think this would be my first thought followed by making sure that it is airtight enough to hold the humidity level you want.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MountainMilG said:

Have been looking into this instead of buying another 3-4 sistemas.  What's the current recommendation for coolidors?  Past searches here have shown a few different types.

"Igloo" 48's are my personal choice, never had an issue to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbenham73 said:

Do you have to use a brand new cooler or can I use an old cooler that has been thoroughly washed out to setup a Coolidor for my boxes of CC?

Thanks FOH

Regardless if you use old one or new one, I would recommend after washing out, dumping a box of baking soda in and leave for a few days. New coolers tend to still have a plastic smell after washing out.

• Like 1

RTIC is my go to brand for food drinks and cigars.  Cheaper version of yeti but same quality.  Very low temp fluctuations in my garage and great seal.  Random clearances and discounts really make it worth it.  I got a 145 quart for 264 a while back (seafoam green).  Smaller ones are cheaper and there are sporadic promo codes or sales posted on their instagram.

Also their hard cases are great as larger travel cases

I'm at 6 sistemas now.  For that amount of space - and to hold the 10 or so dress boxes (25 and 10) that I have, plus a few dozen singles, I suppose $230ish for one of the injected molded 45 qt coolers may be the answer.  Less money is nice obviously, but maybe it's time to look at that.

But that's it.  If new cigars can't fit in there I'm done buying.  Uh huh.  :ok:

I have 4 Colman 150 quart units. 3 are stuffed with aging stock and the 4th I use for smoking stock (along with 2 large desktops ). I use a 3rd desktop for dry boxing.

The coolers are lined with cedar sheets from dress boxes and cabs, and each has a cedar tray for singles and 2 hygrometers. I calibrate all of the hygrometers every 6 months. 4 to 6 Boveda packs (65 % ) keep things at a very stable 64% humidity,  and temp holds at a very stable 67 degrees farenheit. 

The coolers are kept in office in my home. They take up space, but each time (about once a month ) I start thinking about calling Bob Staebell, I realize that the 4 grand I would spend with him would buy some nice smokes, I always decide to stick with the coolers.

I use new ones, and the total cost of the unit with tray, hygrometers, and Bovedas is less than  $150USD.

I'll be ordering another setup very soon.

But I do love those Aristocrats...

Big Al 

• Like 2