10 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

Caveman thinking, I guess.

I was thinking about this just the other day.   I am convinced there a great deal of cues from nature that make us feel either good or bad, and the reason being due to potential implications of caveman throw-back emotions

sound of a waterfall-  pleasing due to possible fresh water source

sound of a dripping leak-   annoying, potential for cold/hyperthermia

sound of flies-  mental association with rotting/decease 

cant help but think our differing reactions to sights, sounds, are based on this

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 99call said:

I was thinking about this just the other day.   I am convinced there a great deal of cues from nature that make us feel either good or bad, and the reason being due to potential implications of caveman throw-back emotions

sound of a waterfall-  pleasing due to possible fresh water source

sound of a dripping leak-   annoying, potential for cold/hyperthermia

sound of flies-  mental association with rotting/decease 

cant help but think our differing reactions to sights, sounds, are based on this

Sound of fire - safe, warmth, etc

• Like 1

I reckon it’s absolutely a hunter/gatherer thing, deeply programmed into our sub-conscious by millions of years of evolution. Fire = safety + warmth + food. I would add + cigars. Lol

And whisky. ?

• Like 2

Just now, ayepatz said:

Sound of fire - safe, warmth, etc

yep.....it's all there.   If we choose to plug into it, life can be very simple and black and white. .

Great story.  One of my mate's brother. managed getaway retreats in Zambia or Tanzania (can quite remember) anyway. He was a "phone walker" like myself, and would routinely walk around whilst talking to people on the phone.  He relayed to my mate, that he was having a massive argument with his missus in England (whilst in Africa) and had walked out of the hut he was maintaining, and been pacing back and forth in a rage, only to realise he'd walked into a pride of lions.............

thankfully all of their faces were caked in blood, and bellies distended with fresh kill..........he quietly moonwalked back to the hut and safety of his rifle.   How quickly we can realise we are one simple mistake from being dinner. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ayepatz said:

I would add + cigars. Lol

Ha!,  I saw a great thing the other day, on using mushroom felt as an ember you can travel with. i.e you can keep a slow burning cherry with you as you travel to your next camp.  Mushroom felt is great, but I would personally opt for a double lancero, full of ligero

13 minutes ago, 99call said:

yep.....it's all there.   If we choose to plug into it, life can be very simple and black and white. .

Great story.  One of my mate's brother. managed getaway retreats in Zambia or Tanzania (can quite remember) anyway. He was a "phone walker" like myself, and would routinely walk around whilst talking to people on the phone.  He relayed to my mate, that he was having a massive argument with his missus in England (whilst in Africa) and had walked out of the hut he was maintaining, and been pacing back and forth in a rage, only to realise he'd walked into a pride of lions.............

thankfully all of their faces were caked in blood, and bellies distended with fresh kill..........he quietly moonwalked back to the hut and safety of his rifle.   How quickly we can realise we are one simple mistake from being dinner. 

Lol @99call! That’s what I love so much about about cigars and whisky around the fire. A throwback to a more elegant, dare I use the word “woke” age? When we we were all a bit more honest, and elemental. So much, in our modern age is all about tech. But fire up a cigar, and pair it with a good scotch around an open fire, and, frankly, who cares? Open fire, good cigar, quality scotch, who cares about the vicissitudes of the modern world?

Viva la Caveman! Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ayepatz said:

“woke” age? When we we were all a bit more honest, and elemental

Another great story. 

My best mate travelled around rural China about 20yrs ago. Anyway he was welcomed into a mountain top village, paid a certain (tiny) amount of money, and was given a kings supper of roast pork, rice and vegetables.  He was blown away by the quality of the pork, and kept on trying to communicate to his hosts through ill formed hand gestures, about how good the food was..............anyway the time came to drop the kids off at the pool, and the locals pointed to a wooden pole out of the hut in the dark.  My mate had a cavers head torch so happily set off.    He pulled his pants down, and grabbed the pole (baring his bottom over the long drop).   Once the bomb bay doors had been opened, he was freaked out by what seemed like shrill screaming, pointed his torch down the long drop, to see pigs fighting over this deposit....................Now he knows why the meat was soooo tasty

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ayepatz said:

I reckon it’s absolutely a hunter/gatherer thing, deeply programmed into our sub-conscious by millions of years of evolution. Fire = safety + warmth + food. I would add + cigars. Lol

And whisky. ?

Ugh say fire good. :P

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

A person can endlessly look at three things as:
- how the fire burns
- how water flows
- how the other person wife works

Fixed. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3