Jazz on a Sunday evening. One tune explained.

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

but colt and i go far enough back that no offence at all.

It was not intended as personal, but I guess there's no question it was.

I will listen to some Billie Holiday as punishment for my transgression.

The best way to appreciate music is to make it. 

Form, style, genre, and, though it may seem ridiculous, even ability, are of lesser importance than actually participating. 

In some ways, Music is the ultimate team game, and playing will always be more fun than watching from the side, whatever your ability. 

Those who watch from the side and criticise from behind the safety of a record player may well be fans, but they will never be musicians unless they get up and have a go themselves. 

Making music (of any genre) with others (of all differing abilities) is one of the most joyous and edifying things a human being can do. 

And if you think such things are beyond your abilities, remind yourself of the last time you belted out your National Anthem with tens of thousands of your compatriots at the rugby or footie, and how it made your spirit soar. 

• Like 2

Great vid!

I like all kinds of music but jazz is definitely one of my favorites. I like to turn it on when we sit down for dinner. Seems to mellow the 3 year old out, which I appreciate.

I'm not into the newer smooth jazz that sounds like it came from a computer, or "spa" style jazz. But if you want some newer jazz to listen to I highly recommend Kamasi Washington's album, The Epic. I listen to it weekly at work.

I became a fan of jazz at age 12 or 13 thanks to my parents who had albums of Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Mingus, Duke Ellington, etc.

When I was a teenager I spent my holidays in jazz festivals in the south of France ; I was blessed to see Mingus, Art Blakey, Gerry Mulligan, Ornette Coleman, Lee Konitz, Tony Williams etc. live.

I honestly believe there are way more  "wannabee tossers who were bullied at school who now think that they are the coolest humans on the planet, putting their own, inevitably lesser, interpretation on unfinished music that already resembled the soundtrack of a car wreck." in a Springsteen audience than in a jazz concert… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ayepatz said:

The best way to appreciate music is to make it. 

Form, style, genre, and, though it may seem ridiculous, even ability, are of lesser importance than actually participating. 

In some ways, Music is the ultimate team game, and playing will always be more fun than watching from the side, whatever your ability. 

Those who watch from the side and criticise from behind the safety of a record player may well be fans, but they will never be musicians unless they get up and have a go themselves. 

Making music (of any genre) with others (of all differing abilities) is one of the most joyous and edifying things a human being can do. 

And if you think such things are beyond your abilities, remind yourself of the last time you belted out your National Anthem with tens of thousands of your compatriots at the rugby or footie, and how it made your spirit soar. 

Same applies to golf, frankly.  One can appreciate watching it when you’ve tried to put a small ball in a small hole 500 yards away in four or less swings.  It’s hard ... very hard.  Like jazz.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:42 PM, Ryan said:

I saw someone post recently something along the lines of Jazz wasn't for them.

I can completely understand that much of jazz sounds like made up noise to a lot of people, certainly from Bebop on.

It took me a long time to begin to get an understanding of where some of it was coming from.

If you have 10 minutes give this video a look and you'll see some of the extraordinary genius that has added to jazz over the years.

There's a little bit of music theory in it but not too much. It goes a little way in explaining why some things "just sound right".

My wife is a self-professed "former band geek" and she absolutely loved this video.  Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1