Sap in Humidor?

kevpro

I just bought a Savoy XL humidor and it came with what my local B&M told me is sap from the cedar. Below are the pictures (I don't know why the second one loads upside down)

I don't care about the aesthetics but I am wondering what the best was to remove the sap from the tray. I am also wondering if I have to worry about additional sap or does this only occur right after production? The sap is hard and this Humidor has probably been sitting in a warehouse for awhile. According to Ashton, they stopped making this size and I got one of the last 6 available.  

Pics of the inside 

IMG_1709.thumb.jpg.eaa89e9e4abc62215f838c5deeaf4eb3.jpgIMG_1708.thumb.jpg.4b2ec4298e6de03874727bcb62ad0711.jpg

Congrats on the new humidor!  Completely normal with lumber grade kiln dried Sp. Cedar.  This happens more often with thicker, solid pieces.  I have sold blocks with sap stains.

If that's laminate on the bottom piece, it could also be the glue driving some residual sap out of the veneer.  Again no big deal.

Will it get worse?  Probably not.  But keep your pics and compare in a few years.  I'm curious.

Fill that thing with cigars.  :peace:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aphexafx said:

Congrats on the new humidor!  Completely normal with lumber grade kiln dried Sp. Cedar.  This happens more often with thicker, solid pieces.  I have sold blocks with sap stains.

If that's laminate on the bottom piece, it could also be the glue driving some residual sap out of the veneer.  Again no big deal.

Will it get worse?  Probably not.  But keep your pics and compare in a few years.  I'm curious.

Fill that thing with cigars.  :peace:

Thanks, two boxes from our host came in today just in time!

On 4/2/2019 at 8:24 PM, patrick_harmon44 said:

That's interesting. Does it smell more of cedar than usual?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't have enough experience to know what the "usual" aroma is, but there is definitely a very strong cedar aroma. I had to open a window when I set it up because the whole room smelled like a humidor after unboxing (which was actually fine by me, but my girlfriend wouldn't have agreed). 

Now that I have moved about 55 cigars in, it is a strong cedar/tobacco aroma every time I open but nothing with the lid closed which hopefully means the seal is good. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 2:53 PM, Targetshot28 said:

Properly seasoned you should have no issues with the sap. Maybe keep the cigars that are in Tubos or cellophane over the sap to prevent transfer on to your gars.

Keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good idea as I just bought a bunch of tubos.

I’ve had it set up for about a month now. Seasoned w/ 320g Boveda 84% and now running a 65%. It’s been holding steady at 61-62% with about 60 cigars. The sap has not spread at all or become sticky, so I think it’ll be fine. Still a very strong aroma too. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the past, I've that people used denatured alcohol on a rag and some light sanding to remove the sap.  I think you will always have the stain from the sap there, but any sticky feeling and potential damage to a wrapper should be gone.