what % of members have been scammed at some time in their cigar hobby.

Cigar Scammed   

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A new member recently got pinched on a box of discontinued cigars out of Costa Rica. Note to all newcomers to Cuban cigars......don't buy online out of  central and south america. 

He is a good bloke and i was trying to console him a little by saying that I believe 5-10% of  FOH members have been scammed at some point. 

Would I be right? :lookaround:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure why so many people think that 'No' voters are just burying their heads in the sand.  I have never been scammed.  How can I know that??  What makes me so sure??  I must me in denial!!! 1.

Only by the government/nanny state enablers ??

Scammed most nights into buying more cigars than I need... does that count?

I replied yes, but the truth is I have no idea. I found this site after I started smoking Cuban cigars and admit I had no idea what I was doing. Since I smoked everything pretty much as soon as I got it, I had nothing to analyze. But I’m gonna say 99% probably yes. 

I wish "I don't know" was an answer option.
Reason being, is that I have total confidence re: all purchases from all vendors except for my very first box.

It was a box of Punch Punch, the year was 1999 or 2000 and I was fresh out of the Army and just getting into cigars.  I purchased them online from a Canadian vendor (and I think they were a legitimate vendor) but the cigars were really harsh/overpowering.  

However, I didn't know of anything about aging cigars back then.  I remember having the hardest time regulating the humidity in my humidor and I think it was averaging 55% RH.  And since joining FOH I've learned that Punch Punch from those years weren't the best.

On the other hand, I wasn't educated re: looking for anti-counterfeit features and what an authentic box should look like.  And more importantly, I've come to learn that since the non-Cuban Punch is sold in Canada that the Cuban Version cannot be sold there (though that doesn't rule out a grey market sale).

So, maybe it was legit and maybe it wasn't, but that's the only one I have any doubt about.  I have spotted obvious fakes and avoided them, but that first box remains a question mark in my mind to this day.

• Like 1

I'd wager it might be closer to 5-10% that hadn't been. And if the 5-10% won't admit it or don't know, surely most have.

Anyone that's bought a Cohiba on a beach somewhere, self included, be honest.

Had some Montecristos bought in Spain which were dodgier than a second-hand car salesman's special deal of the month.

Bought a couple tubes of RyJ #2 which turned out to be #3s with a bit of tissue paper stuffed in the bottom of the tubes ...

On one occasion, I purchased a box of Partagas SD4 which were absolutely riddled with beetle holes -- the vendor having assured me that he had personally inspected the box.

Yep, first box of "HoyoDC" from some online vendor back in 96 or 97. Amazingly they refunded my money. Made me REALLY careful from then on. But once I established good vendors with references from friends, it has been smooth sailing.

I was once scammed by Habanos S.A. I purchased a box of Hoyo De Monterrey anejados. They tasted like dog $h1T rolled with banana leaves. They were 100% legit but what a scam of a program. I guess I haven’t really been scammed yet so I’ll go ahead and vote No. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nope. I never jump right into anything until l’ve done a fair bit of homework, and luckily I have a good BS meter that keeps me from listening to the wrong people.

• Like 1

Judging from the results of this poll, I think there are some people in denial. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scammed? Probably.

Knowingly purchasing some suspect cigars, yes.

My daughter once gifted me a box of CoRo some Cubans were selling in an arts festival in Mexico a few years back. I did try them, but I was sure they were fakes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Bought some fakes in Mexico before I really got into cigars. They looked somewhat off to me so googled, only to learn that they were absolutely fake. At the end of the day I was only out $50 so it wasn’t that bad. 

I almost dropped some serious money back in 2010/2011(?) when there was someone selling very good high end fakes on another forum. Luckily for me it all came crashing down the day before I was going to place the order. Unfortunately for others, the guy must have made close to $50k, if not much more, by scamming people on the board. Never trust the dancing banana emoji....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

I'd wager it might be closer to 5-10% that hadn't been.

Anyone that's bought a Cohiba on a beach somewhere, self included, be honest.

I have bought "genuine" Cohibas and other Cubans on the beach, on a street corner and in a bar ... but I was never scammed.  I always assumed that they were all fake ...

Yup. Got some fake “Grand Edmundos” from 1001cubancigars or whatever the dealer was - they were going to refund me but then the Chicago massacre hit and they went under.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Yup. Got some fake “Grand Edmundos” from 1001cubancigars or whatever the dealer was - they were going to refund me but then the Chicago massacre hit and they went under.

ahhh.....the Guatemala connection strikes again :rolleyes:

I am stunned that over 40% of members have been fleeced. I honestly guessed it would have been no more than 10%

ahhh.....the Guatemala connection strikes again :rolleyes:
I am stunned that over 40% of members have been fleeced. I honestly guessed it would have been no more than 10%

I’d say almost everyone that bought on Facebook, especially “blind samplers” or singles or custom rolls or Behikes has been had. Some real bad apples there that deal/dealt in high volume.
  • Like 1

Bought fakes once in mexico at a non lcdh shop (some real some fake) ?

Ordered aged stock from a grey market vendor that were not aged well (super dried out due to bad storage) ?

Ordered way too many boxes from FOH and now I have a storage issue (my fault not theirs) ?

3 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

I bought a fair bit from them, never a problem except some mold here and there. Never bought any Cohiba or ELS however. I remember those fake GEs and the scumbags trying to resell...at a profit no less!!

Luckily I have not. I researched vendors and sources for months before buying my first cubans. Do your homework. 

I have definitely been given fakes many times as gifts. And have been convinced/guilted into smoking a couple before I knew what could actually be in those things, bleh. Should have done my homework there lol!

• Like 1