what % of members have been scammed at some time in their cigar hobby.

Cigar Scammed   

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The secondary cigar market is full of profiteers and buffoons (and great people, too!).  I've unfortunately also see people get scammed out of significant amounts of money.
The closest I came was from some fool that took my money, never sent me my rate cigars, never responded to messages and then started another for-sale thread.  "Credit card charge-back" were the magic words that turned that situation around.  I'm much more leery now.

You were able to do a chargeback on a private transaction? Did you pay PP GNS? Would be great to know.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure why so many people think that 'No' voters are just burying their heads in the sand.  I have never been scammed.  How can I know that??  What makes me so sure??  I must me in denial!!! 1.

Only by the government/nanny state enablers ??

Scammed most nights into buying more cigars than I need... does that count?

I was lucky, as only smoked a few(bought at LCDH, and then only cheaper ones, so doubt faked?), in Cuba before buying 3 boxes on a trip there about 3 years ago. While researching best ways to store/care for them, found FOH. I got nervous, after reading about fakes, and luckily, codes checked out. Now I buy 99% here, and the odd bit at a local B&M. FOH has by far saved me, as after buying the 3 boxes, I started a pretty decent collection....Hey....wait a minute....this place was a bad influence!!! Scam!!???Seriously thanks Rob, this place is the best, and has made this GREAT fun getting a great collection going. 

Back in the day I got scammed a few times in Mexico and Costa Rica - not big bucks but still pissed about it. A few years ago I went to the LCDH in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and met the owner there, Gerry Cohen. Gerry is one of the foremost experts in the world on Cuban fakes. Gerry has written articles for all of the main Cigar publications over the years and his "how to spot a fake" articles are priceless. He even had four Cohiba Esplendidos side by side in a big desktop humi in his store window (2 fake; 2 real) to give people a visual on the difference. One of each cigar was cut open so you could see the inside and outside of fake vs. real. I sat a few days smoking with him and picking his brain. After, I became pretty educated about how to spot fakes and to my knowledge haven't been scammed since. It also helps that 99% of my purchases are from @El Presidente or my one other trusted vendor.

http://archive.smokemag.com/1208/feature.htm

• Like 1

Like a few of the folks here, I too got scammed on my very first purchase in Mexico - in the charming little tourist trap town of Todos Santos.  Across the street from the legendary Hotel California, I walked into a shop that had all kinds of CCs, mainly Cohibas.  As this was my first time to ever try a Cuban cigar, I had no idea what I was looking at or what to look for.  In other words, I didn't do my research ahead of time.  I was in the Baja on my very first trip and excited that Cuban cigars were available here.  Good thing I only bought 2 Cohiba Robustos.  That evening, I lit one up, and it was a dud.  No smoke produced.  I opened it up to find shredded tobacco everywhere.  I wasn't pissed off, I just laughed at myself and said, lesson learned.  The next day, I redeemed myself by finding the Cubano Cigar Shop, a cool lounge in old town San Jose, had a wonderful Partagas, and began learning from the Cuban owner. 

PS.  Until now, there are no authentic CCs in Todos Santos.  

20 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

You were able to do a chargeback on a private transaction? Did you pay PP GNS? Would be great to know.

It was Goods n Services, but it had been so long, I could not do a charge back via PayPal.  As a last ditch effort, I told dude I was going to handle it through my credit card and go full nuclear - admit that the transaction was for cigars ("Gee, sorry, Mr. PayPal - I didn't know that was against the T&C" routine).  It worked rather well.

Unless something has changed in the last few years, credit card companies still don't GAF - if you dispute and it sounds legit, they pull back the funding and credit your account.  They still earn the fees for the transaction (I believe), but don't have to pay anyone on my behalf.

As I said, I typically just buy boxes myself from trusted vendors.  It helps that a) I've been flirting with full capacity for several years, b) I age most of my stuff myself and c) I've tried just about everything I wanted to try.

• Like 1

In 1999 I ordered a box of Cohibas. This was really pre internet. Here’s what I received (see photos). I kept one because it was hilarious, but was out like $600USD, a lot of money even then which wasn’t funny. 

B52E189F-D9B8-44E3-ADBC-9BA5994A2CEA.jpeg

364E32A9-DBEE-4026-809E-6C89CBE8913E.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, N8Allen said:

In 1999 I ordered a box of Cohibas. This was really pre internet. Here’s what I received (see photos). I kept one because it was hilarious, but was out like $600USD, a lot of money even then which wasn’t funny. 

Wow! 

21 hours ago, N8Allen said:

Ouch!  That one's pretty nasty looking.  Looks like a "Nicaraguan factory second" made with "Cuban seed tobacco" and offering notes of "earth and pepper."  

And that is some shiny pectin... unless that's from you drooling over that piece of deliciousness? :o

On 3/29/2019 at 7:51 PM, N8Allen said:

Now that’s rough! OMG 

i think I would have to hop a plane and find the person who sent me those. So sorry for that experience.

On 3/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, N8Allen said:

Yikes.  I have to ask, is it actually wet?  Looks like someone smuggled it across the border in an armpit, and handed it to you fresh ?

• Haha 1