what % of members have been scammed at some time in their cigar hobby.

Cigar Scammed   

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure why so many people think that 'No' voters are just burying their heads in the sand.  I have never been scammed.  How can I know that??  What makes me so sure??  I must me in denial!!! 1.

Only by the government/nanny state enablers ??

Scammed most nights into buying more cigars than I need... does that count?

I'm going with no as I think that is the correct answer.  When I started this journey I was smoking NCs and then met up with a great group of people who got me into CCs and also educated me on where to buy them.  One of those was Mark (N2Adventure) who sent me here.

I’m with @mdpuffer, “I don’t know”. One of my first orders after having been gifted a CC and thus immediately becoming obsessed with learning more, I ordered from a vendor that appeared to be in the UK, but was actually in Central America or the Caribbean. After 120 days or more a box of terrible, moldy, holes, and cracked cigars arrived. No idea whether they were genuine at one point or not. Radio silence from the retailer. So chalked it up to experience. And appreciate reputable vendors.

I haven't got caught up in a scam because before taking the plunge, i did tons of research over a couple months before my 1st online purchase years back. But i do recognize it is very easy to get beat. Thankfully I came across some good people shortly after my 1st solo purchase that pointed me here and a couple other forums and sites. 

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

ahhh.....the Guatemala connection strikes again :rolleyes:

I am stunned that over 40% of members have been fleeced. I honestly guessed it would have been no more than 10%

I would guess most of us are in the US. it’s a lot more difficult to navigate the waters here when you first jump into it. In fact, I recently met a guy who has been buying Cohiba Sublimes fot years from some guy in Miami for $350 a box. Cuban cigars are just not mainstream here. Most people are naive and even oblivious to the fact that fakes even exist. 

I can't think of time.  I have had a Central American vendor many are familiar with for selling fakes cold call me dozens of times offering cigars.  Never bought and would not buy anything from them no matter what.

Serious self-awareness recalibration needed on the “No”s. I would conservatively opine that 95%+ of Cuban cigar smokers that have been smoking for lets say 10+ years have been scammed.

?

I'd imagine most traveling Americans have been scammed by some guy selling Cohibas on the beach. Of my casual smoking friends (of which I only have 2), both brought back fakes from some dealer selling them cheaper than the LCDH while abroad. One of them was on government property, in Cuba, (some castle). I've never been scammed, but I tend to do heavy research on anything that of interest until I feel I have a good foundation of knowledge.

I was taken advantage of 2 years ago by: cubancigaronline.com  And these clowns are still in business. Bought 3 boxes of Cohiba Siglo VI's. When they arrived, I checked the serial numbers on the boxes, and they turned out to be Partagas. I contacted these losers. They told me that Cuban cigar companies do this all the time. Luckily, I paid using Paypal. I got a 100% refund. And I tell everyone that will listen to me, to NEVER buy from them. End of rant.

In this day and age, no, you should not get scammed if you use common sense. Remember the old adage, “If something seems too good to be true, it usually is!” That said, opportunities were minimal back when I first smoked CC, and I used buy singles while I was traveling in tourist hot spots. If I difn’t get scammed I was lucky. Never bought a glass top box!

Most likely. A box of Cohiba DC EL from Spain. Word was the vendor switched out real cigars and substituted some fakes in each box.  How do you defend yourself from that kind of malfeasance? TRUST YOUR VENDOR.

Guys. I suspect calling out specific vendors still in business-true or otherwise-is way beyond the intended scope of the poll and is a clear breach of the site rules. Not all countries have the same liberal laws on speech as you may be used to.

• Like 1

Oh, my Goodness, yes. 

First EVER buy.   Total fakes.   I hadn’t a clue.   At all.

Barber pole 40th anniversary Cohiba in a dress box.  Smelled like a well used cat litter box.  And a box of Monte No.2 at the request of a friend.  Bought both from the same guy, maybe $200 for both boxes.   I was so embarassed when I realized the sticks I’d purchased had been used as fake examples in online articles.  I kept them a long time in a tupperdor.    Eventually pitched the whole box without ever smoking one.  Wish I’d kept it because it’s funny to me now.  

And again, ordered online from a place in Switzerland.  Friends had been ordering there and vouched for the business.  They were online.   They answered their phone.  I felt pretty comfortable.   Placed a $400 order and it never arrived.  Tried the website and it was gone.  Called (I knew the answer already...) and got a disconnected line.   

It’s painful and embarrassing. It happens.  Started reading everything I could.  Learned a lot.  Had my uncle pick up boxes for me in his travels because he knew ehat he was doing.  He gave me a good education.   I found FOH, interrestingly through the same fellows that recommended the Swiss vendor and have learned even more.  

I voted 'no' but i should caveat that with 'luckily no' because I only got into Cuban cigars fairly recently on a trip to Cuba and fortunately found this community around that time when I was looking for guidance on where to buy. So in my case, it's entirely coincidental that I haven't been scammed, but thanks almost exclusively to FOH!

Oh yes. Only once and never again. I ordered from Brazil. What a joke. That was back around 2009-2010. The cigars were ok but it was not Cuban tobacco. The cigars came without labels, then the labels came later in an envelope, the I got a note from customs saying they had my box if I wanted to claim it! ???