Can you list your top 5 Marques in order of preference?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no. not trying to be difficult but no, i can't do that. they change often but more importantly, for me it would be about certain cigars. i can't claim i like them all in any marque. so i might have SL

Sancho Panza (please don’t kill it!) Bolivar Trinidad San Luis Rey Partagas 

Here's some numbers up to this point. Percentage of ballots that had each marca  Hup 83%  Partagas 69%  Cohiba  46%  RA 45%  Montecristo  42%  Trinidad  40%  Bolivar. 40%. HDM 26%  PL 25%  R&

VR

Upmann

Por laranaga

Trinidad

Partagas

Makes you think about your thought pattern when choosing a smoke. You could also throw in new or aged profiles and I know my list would change...   VR, trinidad, sancho panza, Quai, partagas

Wow, this is tough! 

Pre-2000, easy: Boli, RyJ, Party, Punch, Cohiba in that order.

Today though...wow. I've actually never thought about ranking them, so I'll try but these are probably just the 5 brands I prefer nowadays.

SC

HU

Trini

VR

Monte

Forget it, I can't rank them. 

This is tough and I'm sure my wife would add Cohiba in there as she is known as Cohiba Witch (sp.)!  Had to add Por Larranaga is there as #6 as I had a Picadores the other night that was fantastic.

1. H. Upmann

2. Vegas Robaina

3. Bolivar

4. Trinidad

5. Ramon Allones

6. Por Larranaga

It seems almost everybody loves Upmann. No surprise there.

My current favorites are:

1. H. Upmann

2. Trinidad

3. Partagas

4. Ramon Allones

5. Cohiba

The order of preference does change over the years, but the Top 5 not as much. Probably could've included Quai d'Orsay as they're doing some fine cigars at the moment, but still a very small range available in order to assess consistency.

22 minutes ago, TheMonk said:

It seems almost everybody loves Upmann. No surprise there.

I am surprised at the lack of esteem for Bolivar.  I thought that would be neck and neck with Upmann or at least equal No. 2 or 3.  Guess not.

I enjoy such a broad spectrum of marcas, but if I had to list the ones I reach for the most they'd be:

1. H Upmann.  (Mag 50 is my first love.  Love the Mag 46.  Sir Winnie.  Connie A. HUHC Went deep on all of these)
  2. Partagas (So much I enjoy here. PSD4, P2, E2, 898, Culebras, Lusitania, SDC's. Charlottes and various EL)
  3. Trinidad (Love the Reyes, Coloniales, Fundies, still well stocked on RobT's and Rob Extras. Enjoying the Vigia too.  Definitely favour this line over Cohiba)
  4. Cohiba (Well stocked on Sig II & VI.  Love the CoLa, Espy, CCE.  Enjoy the odd Genios. 1966 is epic)
  5. Punch.  The DC and Punch Punch are all I need from this marca.  I miss the Ninfas, those were superb.  Need to try more Coronations as well.

*Honorable mention; Raman Allones.  Technically this is probably my favourite, but so much of the RA's I enjoy are non standard production. Mostly RE and EL.  I enjoy the RASCC and Gigantes immensely, but find the RASS too inconsistent.  Probably the only CC IMO that really needs to sleep for 5+ years before they show their stuff.

• Like 1

Based on recent amazing experiences, I'd have to say:

Bolivar

Montecristo

San Cristobal De La Habana

Partagas

H. Upmann

@El Presidente is this some sort of experiment/data gathering census to see what you will be offering the daily 24:24?  

H U

San Cristobal

Vegas Robaina

Trinidad

Monte 

As with everyone else's comments, you tend to pick a marca for this list based on a couple of vitolas...

1. Partagas

2. Bolivar

3. H. Upmann

4. Montecristo 

5. Hoyo De Monterrey

In fairness I've not had any Trinidad, San Cristobal, Saint Luis Rey, ERDM, RG, Por Larranaga or Diplomaticos(regular production)...yet. The number 5 spot was tough with Punch and Ramon Allones in the running for it.

13 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I am surprised at the lack of esteem for Bolivar.  I thought that would be neck and neck with Upmann or at least equal No. 2 or 3.  Guess not.

Last 5 years, meh. Excepting of course the last run of BCG. This is coming from someone who's favorite brand was Boli by a mile. 

It's a shame since the brand and blend have so much potential (see those final BCG). And I think it's the brand that's fallen the furthest post-2000. Yes, Partagas and Punch have suffered greatly post-2000 but Boli was just such an amazing marca with a great lineup and nuance between models. 

MRN made the bold claim that if condemned to smoke only one brand, Bolivar would be the choice. I don't believe that statement ever had serious pushback and pre-2000 I agree completely. 

But the blend was never universally loved and most of the lineup was never "crowd pleasing", something that I think modern Upmann and Cohiba has, and to a lesser extent Monte has.