HSA Price Increases

6 hours ago, LandCruiser said:

Simple supply and demand - Cubans are already significantly more expensive on a whole, than any other cigars on the market. 

And until the sales slow and HSA sees that prices are getting too high, this will continue. 

For me, money is not much an issue when determining what to smoke - and I assume its much the same for many of you. However, I still wont pay needlessly high prices for a product that is marginally better, at best. Point being - I will be picking and choosing which Cubans I buy. The days of having a humidor stocked to the gills with Cubans simply because seems, well, a bit pointless. There are many non-cuban marcas out there that are quite frankly, just as good as their cuban counterparts. Often times at about 1/3rd of the price. 

Try as I may, I have not been able to find these.  I've found a few non cubans that I like (more expensive than island cigars) but to find any just as good as a counterparts has been a challenge.  Maybe I don't understand what a counterpart is? :peace:

OR....Maybe I'm just a ceegar snob but the nico pepper bombs just don't get it done for me. :unknown:

• Like 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy a $9.00 PSD4 or a $10 BBF, more than any $20-$30 Padron, Davidoff, or Opus X that I have ever tried.

38 minutes ago, Capt. Corona said:

Try as I may, I have not been able to find these.  I've found a few non cubans that I like (more expensive than island cigars) but to find any just as good as a counterparts has been a challenge.  Maybe I don't understand what a counterpart is? :peace:

OR....Maybe I'm just a ceegar snob but the nico pepper bombs just don't get it done for me. :unknown:

You should try these NCs (Illusione "R" Rothchildes). Flavor bombs: Nutty, leather, earth, chocolate, creamy and just damn tasty and usually around $5 a stick. Highly recommend and a must try IMO! I have a box of these at all times in my humidor. Size: 4 1/2 x 50

Illusione 2.jpg

8 hours ago, taylorgov2 said:

You should try these NCs (Illusione "R" Rothchildes). Flavor bombs: Nutty, leather, earth, chocolate, creamy and just damn tasty and usually around $5 a stick. Highly recommend and a must try IMO! I have a box of these at all times in my humidor. Size: 4 1/2 x 50

Illusione 2.jpg

Appreciate your offer but been there done that. The price is good but for 4$ and some small change right now per cigar,  I'd rather smoke a Vegerous Entretiempo.

I can get them sent to my door cheaper than I was able to purchase on the island when I was there just a month ago. ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

Capt, just have to get out there and try different brands and sticks. There is a never ending list of new NC cigars, which can be a bit daunting. But each of these listed below are smooth, delicious smokes that belong right there with their Cuban counterparts. I smoke both Cubans and NCs every week... and there is not an enormous gap in terms of flavor and overall enjoyment. 

A few of my favorite Go-To NCs are - 

Warped / Guardian of the Farm Lonsdale : $8 a stick 

Oliva Serie V Lancero : $7 a stick 

LFD La Volcada Churchill: $10 a stick 

Fuente Opus X Petite Lancero : $20 a stick 

9 hours ago, LandCruiser said:

Capt, just have to get out there and try different brands and sticks. There is a never ending list of new NC cigars, which can be a bit daunting. But each of these listed below are smooth, delicious smokes that belong right there with their Cuban counterparts. I smoke both Cubans and NCs every week... and there is not an enormous gap in terms of flavor and overall enjoyment. 

A few of my favorite Go-To NCs are - 

Warped / Guardian of the Farm Lonsdale : $8 a stick 

Oliva Serie V Lancero : $7 a stick 

LFD La Volcada Churchill: $10 a stick 

Fuente Opus X Petite Lancero : $20 a stick 

Thanks for the heads up.  Yeah, she tells me the same thing.  I need to get out more! :unknown:

I work by myself...I smoke by myself :cigar:... the only friends I have are all electronic and most of them wish they weren't! ?

?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I enjoy a $9.00 PSD4 or a $10 BBF, more than any $20-$30 Padron, Davidoff, or Opus X that I have ever tried.

I do as well, I was simply throwing out a higher dollar NC stick that I always tend to enjoy when in the mood. I dont care for any of the Padron line, only a few Davidoff, and a select few Fuente sticks. 

I have 2 reasonably priced NC I reach for periodically. Tatuaje petit cazadores Reserva and regular Padron Lonsdale. If you are patient and age these cigars they are wonderful smokes at very reasonable prices. Not every NC is priced through the roof but it does take time to figure out which, if any are your cup of tea. ?

• Like 2

Interesting how we got so far off topic.  Not sure how a cuban price increase moved so quickly to a discussion on what non-cubans people smoke.

Easy, Cuban price increase = people looking for cheaper alternatives. A smart consumer will look for the best value for their dollar, which for some may still be with Cuban cigars, but for others will be with non-Cuban options to supplement some of their favorite Cuban marcas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cohiba has had a 10-13% increase, depending on the vitola, in the past 24 months.  I think Cuba's increased marketing and distribution of their product to China has fueled the steeper price increases more than anything else.  Supply and demand.  As long as there is a feeding frenzy in China for cigars, particularly Cohiba, I'd expect much more of the same.   

• Like 1

Sure it sucks but if you’re willing to spend $750 on a box of Esplendidos, you can afford the 8% hike and pay $810. At least it’s only 4% for other Marques. QDo are already priced very reasonably so with the 8% hike they’ll still be below the standard market. Corona Claro sold on 24:24 for $189 last week, that makes them $204 now. Still a great value! $180 JLS2 are now $187.60, $309 Monte 2 are now $321. 

Price increases suck but us consumers already spend so much the average $12 or less increase per box won’t kill us, only the Chinese Behike lovers. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 3:53 AM, Silverstix said:
Easy, Cuban price increase = people looking for cheaper alternatives. A smart consumer will look for the best value for their dollar, which for some may still be with Cuban cigars, but for others will be with non-Cuban options to supplement some of their favorite Cuban marcas.

I understood his point.  I was reading for information on Cuban pricing and market conditions.  "What Will I Smoke Now? (And Why!)" is a natural reaction but an altogether different topic.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, joshhooper7 said:

Sure it sucks but if you’re willing to spend $750 on a box of Esplendidos, you can afford the 8% hike and pay $810. At least it’s only 4% for other Marques. QDo are already priced very reasonably so with the 8% hike they’ll still be below the standard market. Corona Claro sold on 24:24 for $189 last week, that makes them $204 now. Still a great value! $180 JLS2 are now $187.60, $309 Monte 2 are now $321. 

Price increases suck but us consumers already spend so much the average $12 or less increase per box won’t kill us, only the Chinese Behike lovers. 

Yeah.... most CAN afford it. If you could not afford to pay an extra $60 a box you should not be smoking premium cigars. 

But with that being said, the question of SHOULD you pay the extra $60 comes into play. And that is how this got off topic. 

Make no mistake.... $750 is already an astronomical amount for the average person to spend on a box of cigars, which they will literally burn... albeit deriving pleasure from the act... 

But as you continue to raise prices... in this instance, above $800 for one box of cigars, the cost / benefit is significantly diminished. Which leads me, even as someone who is not much concerned with price, to search for cheaper alternatives as a way to supplement my favorite Cuban marcas. Its is not a question of "can I afford it" but rather... "should I buy these? or "Are they worth this?". 

Maybe I would like to purchase a great box of NCs and a nice bottle of wine - for the same price, etc... 

The free market always has alternatives.. 

On 3/25/2019 at 6:55 PM, El Presidente said:

Two different markets. 

HSA to global distributors is an almost annual rise. There was a 4 year break after 2007/8

Cuba prices had a significant rise 2-3 years back. It was well covered. My understanding is that the QD price increase and cohiba increases will follow through. I am not sure if that will be to the same extent. Travellers to havana in May can let us know :thumbsup:

I will be there in May I will update. 

On 4/4/2019 at 1:53 AM, LandCruiser said:

Yeah.... most CAN afford it. If you could not afford to pay an extra $60 a box you should not be smoking premium cigars. 

But with that being said, the question of SHOULD you pay the extra $60 comes into play. And that is how this got off topic. 

Make no mistake.... $750 is already an astronomical amount for the average person to spend on a box of cigars, which they will literally burn... albeit deriving pleasure from the act... 

But as you continue to raise prices... in this instance, above $800 for one box of cigars, the cost / benefit is significantly diminished. Which leads me, even as someone who is not much concerned with price, to search for cheaper alternatives as a way to supplement my favorite Cuban marcas. Its is not a question of "can I afford it" but rather... "should I buy these? or "Are they worth this?". 

Maybe I would like to purchase a great box of NCs and a nice bottle of wine - for the same price, etc... 

The free market always has alternatives.. 

I think if you look at this topic in relation to the bourbon boom in America, HSA is going to have no problem moving threw their product with these price increases.  There are enough people out there with large somes of disposable income that want, what in their opinion, is the best.  

People are paying over $1800 for a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle that retails for $250.  This is truly crazy in my opinion but every time I see one posted it gets bought up within a few hours.  I know a large number of people will not choose to spend the money that is being asked but there are more than enough that are willing and able.  It comes down to personal choice and you can't blame a company taking advantage of the demand that is currently there. 

3 hours ago, crking3 said:

What about all the stock that retailers are selling that they bought before the increase?

5000 sticks of CORO arrive at the new price. 2000 sticks ar n the warehouse at the old price. Combined it is a months stock. 

it is a no brainer as to which price you use unless you can clear out the old stock before new stock arrives. 

What about all the stock that retailers are selling that they bought before the increase?

Guess ;)

Unless it’s Germany where retailers by law have to sell at the price on the tax stamp.

Just now, Lotusguy said:

Guess ;)

Unless it’s Germany where retailers by law have to sell at the price on the tax stamp.

And Portugal as well. Once the price is on the stamp, it's set for life... which does make some aged boxes even more appealing. ?

And Portugal as well. Once the price is on the stamp, it's set for life... which does make some aged boxes even more appealing. 

Netherlands as well? Not sure. Definitely doesn’t incentivize retailers in these countries to age stock.

I wonder what prompted the increase. Increased labor costs? Infrastructure Improvements? Poor yields? Employee benefits? Increased packaging costs.

Or maybe the price increase is just an attempt at increased profit margins.

The growers get a predetermined price per lb of raw product? If so, I wonder if that increased equally.

3 minutes ago, BJRPorter said:

Or maybe the price increase is just an attempt at increased profit margins.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! HSA is the Multinational distribution arm from Cuban cigars.

Its a 50/50 Joint Venture between Tabacuba/Cubatabaco/Empresa Cuban del Tabaco and Imperial Tobacco. Cubatabaco hasn't significantly raised retail prices on the island in the better part of a decade. HSA on the other hand has raised their prices almost every year over that period, which has caused the disparity to become quite large on some Marcas.