HSA Price Increases

22 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Netherlands as well? Not sure. Definitely doesn’t incentivize retailers in these countries to age stock.

That's true. Nowadays I very rarely find aged stock with older prices, because what they seem to be doing, as I understood it, is ageing it in the Customs warehouse and only paying the taxes and stamping it years later, so it comes to the retailer aged but also with the updated price.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy a $9.00 PSD4 or a $10 BBF, more than any $20-$30 Padron, Davidoff, or Opus X that I have ever tried.

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! HSA is the Multinational distribution arm from Cuban cigars.

Its a 50/50 Joint Venture between Tabacuba/Cubatabaco/Empresa Cuban del Tabaco and Imperial Tobacco. Cubatabaco hasn't significantly raised retail prices on the island in the better part of a decade. HSA on the other hand has raised their prices almost every year over that period, which has caused the disparity to become quite large on some Marcas. 

Thank you for the knowledge drop.

So, essentially. Growers, farmhands, rollers, etc... get nothing more. Consumers get nothing more. Somehow this model does not seem sustainable long term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BJRPorter said:

Thank you for the knowledge drop.

So, essentially. Growers, farmhands, rollers, etc... get nothing more. Consumers get nothing more. Somehow this model does not seem sustainable long term.

Correct. And yes, it would seem that a company run 50% by card carrying communists and 50% by capitalists (even european capitalists) wouldn't be long in the tooth, but they seem to keep trucking along. We are in a boom time for cigars, they can't make enough of them no matter what they do, so raising prices is the only logical thing to do. Keep in mind, Just because HSA raised the prices doesn't mean that Tabacuba is charging them more. I don't know any details of the wholesale agreement, but I wouldn't be surprise if Tabacubas Wholesale price structure is as illogical as the retail price structure is. 

• Like 1

I say if they can get it why not Capitalisem at its best what bugs me is getting Taxed USD $943 per Kilo by customs so what i pay for cigars is not as relevent as the tax, as its not based on the price I pay for the cigars, now thats gouging !

On 4/8/2019 at 10:16 AM, Corylax18 said:

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! HSA is the Multinational distribution arm from Cuban cigars.

Its a 50/50 Joint Venture between Tabacuba/Cubatabaco/Empresa Cuban del Tabaco and Imperial Tobacco. Cubatabaco hasn't significantly raised retail prices on the island in the better part of a decade. HSA on the other hand has raised their prices almost every year over that period, which has caused the disparity to become quite large on some Marcas. 

So this means the HSA increases are not applicable to Havana LCDH locations? I am trying to budget for a trip this summer and if this is true, maybe I should buy mainly Cohibas as they represent the largest discount? 

3 hours ago, kevpro said:

So this means the HSA increases are not applicable to Havana LCDH locations? I am trying to budget for a trip this summer and if this is true, maybe I should buy mainly Cohibas as they represent the largest discount? 

I would buy what I liked to smoke.

1 hour ago, TBird55 said:

I would buy what I liked to smoke.

I agree that it doesn't make much sense to buy something just because it's discounted. I am more wondering if Island prices remain stagnant compared to the international increases, then it might make more sense to buy 1 or 2 boxes of Siglo II's instead of two five packs as I had planned. 

7 hours ago, kevpro said:

I agree that it doesn't make much sense to buy something just because it's discounted. I am more wondering if Island prices remain stagnant compared to the international increases, then it might make more sense to buy 1 or 2 boxes of Siglo II's instead of two five packs as I had planned. 

The price increases include Cuba. If 2012 is really the last time they did an across the board price increase, it would make sense.

Last price increase on the island was 2012.

I was in Havana in early December 2012 after the price increase but found Partagas 898’s and some Cohiba’s at 5y16 that had not been changed yet so picked some up. Most stores has already put the new stickers over the old ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk