In search of tea notes in a cigar.

I can't recall getting this question before. I have a member seeking  cigars with a "tea" note (black/green)

This is a flavour that I rarely pick up although Ken notes it quite regularly.  

If you can help out, let us know those cigars that you get a "tea" nuance from. 

Gracias! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I taste it more often in a few of the lighter NC's I enjoy, Illusione Epernay for example. But tea is what differentiates Trinidads from most other CC's IMO. 

I recently got very strong notes of black tea from a HdM Le Hoyo du Prince, that worked really well with the cream, cedar and vanilla notes for a fantastic cigar (thanks @JohnS!) I get this from Des Dieux as well. Sadly one discontinued, and the other seriously MIA. Seems to be something I get from the Le Hoyo line and that combination of flavours is a favourite of mine.
I have heard people get notes of black tea from Trinidad, esp. Fundadores. I've not tried them yet myself - but I must, seeing as recent stock has been so good. I've also heard that the Cohiba Behike also has a unique tea note, but I sadly also still have yet to try.

• Like 1

I look forward to what others have to say with regards to this question.  I certainly can't think of a cigar that has that profile.  Just the other day I had a young Epi 2 and I commented that it had certain qualities that were reminiscent of green apples and matcha tea.  However I'm fairly certain that isn't the profile that the questioner was inquiring about.  In terms of the complexities of great tea, I'd be fairly certain that there would be cigars that would dovetail nicely if one were to make some sort of tisane with them.  The thing that I love about teas is the beguiling floral aromatics and harmonious balance with their tannins.  It's not a profile I closely associate with cigars but if it were, I would think it would be with some of the lighter profile cigars like the HDM Epi 2 (as mentioned above) or the baking-spicy qualities of an aged QDO corona. 

4 hours ago, 99call said:

Aged Trinidad and aged old Hoyo series. Old ERDM,  

Old ERDM for sure.  The older they are, the more it comes out.

The skinnies can take on a predominately tea flavor profile. Very mild, but a great morning smoke. 

Trinidad can have very herbal flavours IMO, specially when aged.

The La Escepcion Don José was fully herbal when fresh, I could barely taste anything apart from green tea. They've changed a bit over the years, though, but I still find them quite herbal.

Guest Nekhyludov

In my experience, black tea is more common as an aroma - either cold or off the foot - than as something in the smoke that hits the palate. To me, smaller format Upmanns (Connie 1, PC, even some No. 2) have a distinct black tea aroma. 

For me, the most Black Tea forward cigar I've ever smoked was actually a Non Cuban. I have several boxes of Herrrera Esteli Lancero's from 2014, for this reason alone. They are spectacular, consistent, and a bit monolithic in profile.(I like that in this case) 

As far as Cubans go, I don't have much to offer, I cant remember the last time I tasted Tea in a none Cuban. I smoke a lot of Trinidad though and I don't remember ever tasting Tea. Doughnuts and Black Coffee all day, but not tea. 

E.P. Carrillo Encore Majestic.  Also known as CA #1 cigar of the year.  I tried it planning on bashing on CA for giving it the #1 rating.  I don't know, it was amazing

Flavor:  HEAVY black tea with lemon and honey.   Never tasted a cigar so tea like.   It was complex and unique.   Agreeing with CA for the first time is scary.  Though the whole  "best cigar" is sort of stupid.  But if anyone is trying to taste tea and citrus, this cigar has both of those flavors in spades.

13 hours ago, IanMcLean68 said:

I recently got very strong notes of black tea from a HdM Le Hoyo du Prince, that worked really well with the cream, cedar and vanilla notes for a fantastic cigar (thanks @JohnS!) I get this from Des Dieux as well. Sadly one discontinued, and the other seriously MIA. Seems to be something I get from the Le Hoyo line and that combination of flavours is a favourite of mine.
I have heard people get notes of black tea from Trinidad, esp. Fundadores. I've not tried them yet myself - but I must, seeing as recent stock has been so good. I've also heard that the Cohiba Behike also has a unique tea note, but I sadly also still have yet to try.

12 hours ago, leafdream54 said:

I've gotten a tea note from a few of the Hoyo San Juans that I've tried.

Yes, I also I've had tea notes from San Juans and aged Le Hoyo line cigars on occasion.

I might get beat up for bringing up a NC, but the Fuente OpusX D'chateau had a very prominent tea note at the front end. My friend and I couldn't quote place it and eventually looked up some reviews and the descriptor of tea leaf was spot on. Wasnt grass or hay, it was a bit sweeter and softer. 

With my very limited experience with Diplomatico, I can recall tea flavour but this was quite some time ago. Recently, only with NC Arturo Fuente Hemingway Masterpiece - tea and hay and woodiness although fairly one dimensional for such a large cigar.