Sign in to follow this  
El Presidente

How Winston Churchill’s Cigar Habit Defined Him

Great read Rob.  I am of English heritage, my father grew up there and emigrated to the US in 1960.  I have quite an interest in Churchill and enjoyed the read.  Thank you for posting. 

For a subject that's always around that's a great little read. 

One thing that strikes me is despite the modern world being so much smaller and connected via technology, there doesn't seem to be any larger than life characters anymore. Certainly not to the extent that seemed to be in the first half of the 20th century. Maybe it's that we are too connected now; before you only had a limited scope for national/international news so influential people were magnified by the greater focus?

13 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

For a subject that's always around that's a great little read. 

One thing that strikes me is despite the modern world being so much smaller and connected via technology, there doesn't seem to be any larger than life characters anymore. Certainly not to the extent that seemed to be in the first half of the 20th century. Maybe it's that we are too connected now; before you only had a limited scope for national/international news so influential people were magnified by the greater focus?

I think that the current 24 hour news cycle does that... Men like Churchill would not have served if their every move was reported on live...

• Like 1

What an interesting read, thanks for posting.  He sure knew how to start the day, sounds like he was pretty relaxed.  

If you want to crawl down the Winston Churchill rabbit hole, read the 3 part series by William Manchester.  He's quite literally the last of a dying breed and the most interesting man I've ever read about.  

The audiobooks are quite good too and on Audible.  

• Like 3