Split wrapper HELP

Looking for a little advice to salvage a few cigars that I would consider to be one of my more special boxes. Picked up these SLR Marquez Cuba regionals last year on the island. Not exactly easy to come by in the global market. 8 of the box of 10 are flawless. Unfortunately, 2 of them have pretty significant split wrapper damage, one worse than the other but both extending to the cap. To the experts out there. How would you go about trying to salvage these?  I’ve read about pectin and perfecdraw also makes a repair product too. Reversible, or just smoke them and hope the band holds it together?  I’m not too stressed about it as I paid island price ($117) for the box. If I lose 1 or 2 it’s not the end of the world!  However, I’d love to save them. Thanks!

3E31B641-FD27-45B7-A564-8ECFCB20FE41.jpeg

F8B4F199-71EE-462F-8A68-81B7EAE6D58C.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nKostyan said:

Not critical damage. I do so:

1. A little saliva under the wrapper and smooth

2. Moving the band down in the process of Smoking 3/3

3. You can use any vegetable glue (for example, starch or wheat flour)

4. You can glue and a patch from the wrapper of the nub the other a cigar

Thank you!  Right now the bands are so tight that they aren’t going anywhere, haha. A little skin graft from another stick is a great idea though!  This will also give me an excuse to try one out. 

I've had good results using cigar glue and a 'donor' cigar wrapper.  I keep a few cigars around that may be plugged or severely damaged (ie 'donor'/non-smokable), and gently remove the wrapper, the best that you can.  You can then cut a small amount (patch) from that wrapper and glue over the damaged good cigar.  It helps to moisten the donor wrapper before gluing, so that it will adhere better.  Let it dry for a couple of minutes and you should be good to go.  It doesn't always look pretty (if the wrapper colors don't match), but who cares as it will smoke fine.  I keep the donor wrappers in a baggie and keep it the humidor for future repairs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You guys are awesome, thank you!  As luck would have it (although I was plenty pissed an hour ago), I chucked a D4 in the dirt, the last of a nightmare plugged tent peg box of 10 that are thankfully history now. A box I had bought before I found El Prez!  I just fished the entire cigar out of the trash and managed to get a large portion of wrapper from it and have it bagged in my humidor. If it works it will be the equivalent of a sadistic rapist that gave an organ to save the life of an innocent, haha!

6 hours ago, Dynamo320 said:

Looking for a little advice to salvage a few cigars that I would consider to be one of my more special boxes. Picked up these SLR Marquez Cuba regionals last year on the island. Not exactly easy to come by in the global market. 8 of the box of 10 are flawless. Unfortunately, 2 of them have pretty significant split wrapper damage, one worse than the other but both extending to the cap. To the experts out there. How would you go about trying to salvage these?  I’ve read about pectin and perfecdraw also makes a repair product too. Reversible, or just smoke them and hope the band holds it together?  I’m not too stressed about it as I paid island price ($117) for the box. If I lose 1 or 2 it’s not the end of the world!  However, I’d love to save them. Thanks!

3E31B641-FD27-45B7-A564-8ECFCB20FE41.jpeg

F8B4F199-71EE-462F-8A68-81B7EAE6D58C.jpeg

where did you find those in Cuba by the way??

Cigar glue like others has said. But when that isn't available I have had success with honey. Just a tiny bit applied and left to dry sticks things back again - not sure if it is a good idea for storing long term but did the trick for me.

I like the pectin fix.  Quick, easy and inexpensive.  Comes in powder form.  Mix in a bit of water and use a toothpick to apply.  Find if it in the baking isle at your local grocery store.

If you need to use a little piece of wrapper from last nights cigar for added patching power that works also.

I was able to secure a box of these on my last trip also.  You put a torch to any of yours yet?

• Like 1

The cap of a cigar that is cut off has a lot more wrapper tobacco in it that you might think.  In situations like this, I would usually cut one cigar and soak the cap with hot water between a paper towel for about 30 minutes.  Typically this will release the glue and you can unravel the cap and then use that as a patch.  

Just glue some on and let it dry in your humidor for half a day.  Then you can put it back in the box.  

Just so you know, the triple cap of a cuban is a little misleading; it is not actually three disks at the top.  The first cap is the pigtail that forms when the roller spins the cigar after the wrapper is completely rolled on.  The second cap is a long thin strip of wrapper that is rolled around the top.  The third cap is the round disk placed on the top to hid the pigtail and the side of the wrapper strip that folds over itself, primally used to make the end look pretty.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

I like the pectin fix.  Quick, easy and inexpensive.  Comes in powder form.  Mix in a bit of water and use a toothpick to apply.  Find if it in the baking isle at your local grocery store.

If you need to use a little piece of wrapper from last nights cigar for added patching power that works also.

I was able to secure a box of these on my last trip also.  You put a torch to any of yours yet?

Haven’t fired one up yet. 

I’ve salvaged far worse cigars by using this product. Same manufacturer as the PerfecDraw tool and the stuff flat out works. Only $10 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/PerfecRepair-Cigar-Repair-Crack-Sealer/dp/B072BD918F/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=2TY81TWTDACZH&keywords=cigar+repair+glue&qid=1554309262&s=gateway&sprefix=cigar+rep&sr=8-2

• Thanks 1

A trick for a light wrapper that peels back is a dab of cream (or other high milk fat like individual sized coffee creamers or whole milk preferably) on the underside.  Just a dab.  Wipe away excess let dry for a minute or so.  It has no taste whatsoever and (surprisingly) will hold very well.  Always works for me and really good in a pinch if you can't lay your hands on pectin glue.  Yours may require more radical surgical procedures, but if you ever have that really thin wrapper that starts to pull back, give it a try.  Saliva has never worked, but this has always done the trick.  Saved me a lot of aggravation and all you need is access to a coffee station or fridge, ordinarily near most cigar smokers -- even on the drink cart at the golf course.