Vineyard Working/Owning Experience

Cigar_83

I love me some wine alongside my favorite cigars.  I have a passion for making homemade wine and was wondering if anyone here has experience working/owning a vineyard? 

If so, can you share your experiences - is the business profitable? where did you learn how to be a grower/operator? stages of wine growing etc?  

Also, share some of your favorite wines, with photos if possible :)

I spent a summer working a winery while in college a few years ago. Mostly did labor work, but tried to learn as much as I could. Don't know much about the wine making, but I hope to learn as the house we are about to close on has several well established vines. Curious to see other responses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, prodigy said:

I spent a summer working a winery while in college a few years ago. Mostly did labor work, but tried to learn as much as I could. Don't know much about the wine making, but I hope to learn as the house we are about to close on has several well established vines. Curious to see other responses.

That's amazing.  When you say labor what exactly did that entail?  If you can provide examples that would be great.  

Putting in posts and running wire to hang the vines, pruning Vines and taping them up, weeding, prepping new lots for planting, harvesting, bottling etc. It was a fun job, I got a discount on wine and food and had my wedding there for a significant discount too.

35 minutes ago, prodigy said:

Putting in posts and running wire to hang the vines, pruning Vines and taping them up, weeding, prepping new lots for planting, harvesting, bottling etc. It was a fun job, I got a discount on wine and food and had my wedding there for a significant discount too.

Thats awesome that you enjoyed the experience and got a deal on your wedding.  I looked at having it at a vineyard also but it didn't work out, unfortunately.

If you have to choose the best job vs the worst what would they be?   

Thats awesome that you enjoyed the experience and got a deal on your wedding.  I looked at having it at a vineyard also but it didn't work out, unfortunately.

If you have to choose the best job vs the worst what would they be?   
Pruning and guiding the vines was probably the best because it's a relaxing job compared to the worst one, digging in posts. There's a lot of thought that goes into guiding the growth of the vines to maximize the yield. Too many vines too close together and they'll choke each other out and you'll have lower quality grapes.

2 hours ago, prodigy said:

Pruning and guiding the vines was probably the best because it's a relaxing job compared to the worst one, digging in posts. There's a lot of thought that goes into guiding the growth of the vines to maximize the yield. Too many vines too close together and they'll choke each other out and you'll have lower quality grapes.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.