1960's Punch Air France (PQRW)

4 hours ago, westg said:

We spent 3 on that little bus in Cuba ...you had the front seat. The guy with a few crossed wires at the back pumped away .?

Great post ??

Hahaha. I forgot about that, we had to deal with constant "turbulence" too. I guess you're right, I can tolerated more than I give myself credit for. 

4 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Concorde use to fly over my house on approach to Dulles Airport.  Everyone would stop what they are doing to watch it.  On a 2nd grade field trip we got to walk up down the aisle of the plane at the airport.

Has anyone ever smoked a cigar on an airplane?  Last time I saw any smoking on a plane was about 20 years ago on a domestic Air India flight.

Lately I’ve been on a Concorde jag and have been reading everything I could find about it. It would be awesome to have flown on one.

Were cigars and pipes on airplanes culturally unacceptable before cigarettes were? I remember being in restaurants as a kid, just bathed in disgusting cigarette smoke, and everyone would bitch if there was one guy smoking a cigar. Sometimes there were even signs in smoking sections forbidding cigars and pipes.

11 hours ago, nino said:

Great review !!

At Lufthansa we had a line of "Senator" cigars, specially branded for LH that were passed around after lunch/dinner to First Class passengers until early 80's if I remember correctly.

Back in the 70's it was absolutely normal to smoke during the flight and what better experience than a cigar in First Class.

And absolutely normal to smoke cigars in the cockpit - watch at 03:41 as Cpt Charly Dorfmeister puffs away during an interview in 1992 about the new A-340 :

Thanks :) was smoking still permitted when you were flying, or started flying? I was going to say I bet it interfered with the crew/pilots but thinking back to when smoking was allowed inside bars etc I didn't really notice it until you got home or into a smoke-free environment, so maybe it didn't effect people that much

In the MRN book there is a passing reference to a Hoyo de Monterrey Concorde cigar available in 100s... MRN notes that he found this info in old catalogues but has never seen the cigar, and speculates that it was just the name for the Hoyo Churchills when sold on the Concorde.

I went on a little kick trying to confirm or refute this a few years ago, and looked up all the old Concorde menus I could find. The best I could do was a passing reference to Havana Cigars (or Jamaica cigars for flights out of the US) on the bottom of the wine menu up until the 1980s. Would be interested to hear if anyone has anything more concrete.

11 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Thanks :) was smoking still permitted when you were flying, or started flying? I was going to say I bet it interfered with the crew/pilots but thinking back to when smoking was allowed inside bars etc I didn't really notice it until you got home or into a smoke-free environment, so maybe it didn't effect people that much

Love the review.

Yes it was - I started flying 1975 and as I said we would serve cigars in First after lunch/dinner long range and a 5-pack of cigarettes on European/short range routes.

Just checked and I had the last "smoking flight" in March 1998 to Hong Kong.
It was always allowed ( and I guess it still is, haven't checked back ) in the cockpit and never interfered.

In fact the cockpit was one of the last refuges for crew members wanting a smoke after smoking was terminated ....

• Thanks 1