buying cellophane wrappers.

I've heard some wacky things to do with cigars (and considering my past, that's saying a lot), but that is just plain weird.

edit: No offense intended. They are your cigars, after all. Do with them as you please. But wrapping them in cello is just odd to me.

I've not done it and probably wouldn't bother - I'm not sure what the benefit might be. Possibly slowing down the aging process? It might add a little extra protection for the handling of the cigars, but I imagine the process of actually getting them in the celo might nullify that.

Interesting question.  I see that they do sell cello sleeves in bulk at multiple sites.  It couldn't hurt, but it sounds like a lot of trouble without much upside that I know of. 

Wouldn't bundling in a ziplock have the same effect? 

I've thought about doing this too on some boxes where I have multiples. Having smoked many great cigars in cello I think the experiment is worth it. Who sells in bulk? When I was considering it, they couldn't be found. 

I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what you choose to do. As said before, it will slow the aging process, as cellophane is porous it won't hurt cigars. I have noticed with nc cigars, they tend to hold aroma longer. I have never done though.

14 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

I've thought about doing this too on some boxes where I have multiples. Having smoked many great cigars in cello I think the experiment is worth it. Who sells in bulk? When I was considering it, they couldn't be found. 

I googled "buy cellophane for cigars" a person on Etsy has them 100 for 12 bucks. I think this may require a long term experiment ? So I think I'll volunteer. I'll buy a box, put half in sleeves and leave half out. Then smoke one every 6 months which brings us to approx. 5-6 years.

14 minutes ago, CigarScentedBeard said:

So here's the next question....... What cigars to try this experiment with. I need some opinions here, we need a cigar that has a noticeable change while aging over 5 years.

Anyone have a suggestions for the cigar?  I'd like to keep this experiment around the low 200s.

I'd go with PSD4 or P898. Anything with good aging potential. Ideally you'd want the same box code or year. 

• Thanks 1

In my opinion, selecting a box for your experiment should focus more on brand and vitola consistency rather than specifically selecting based on blend changes related to aging.  If you plan on smoking one of each every six months and the box selected isn't consistent from stick to stick, you'll have a hard time determining if the cellophane has had any effect.  Over the course of 5-6 years there are a lot of variables, other than the cellophane, that could contribute to variances in the smoking experience between the two samples. 

I say go for it.  You'll never know the outcome unless you give it a shot.  Worst outcome would probably be that there is no observed difference. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, In-A-Gadda-Davidoff said:

In my opinion, selecting a box for your experiment should focus more on brand and vitola consistency rather than specifically selecting based on blend changes related to aging.  If you plan on smoking one of each every six months and the box selected isn't consistent from stick to stick, you'll have a hard time determining if the cellophane has had any effect.  Over the course of 5-6 years there are a lot of variables, other than the cellophane, that could contribute to variances in the smoking experience between the two samples. 

I say go for it.  You'll never know the outcome unless you give it a shot.  Worst outcome would probably be that there is no observed difference. 

This is an extremely valid statement. Very good point to bring up. I have a box of RASSssssss from 2018, those are pretty consistent I believe.

• Like 1

If I were to do it, I would use fairly fresh 25ct box. Half would be wrapped in cello, the other half remain as is, with the last cigar as a test sample (take notes on this cigar). Keep the remaining 24 in the same tupperdor (place one boveda inside), but separated from each other. Sample one cigar from each group every six months, starting from one year after the initial test cigar. Take notes on the flavour, construction, etc, but don't refer back to previous notes (to prevent contamination or skewing of results). You should have 7 years worth of aging by the time the experiment is complete (or use a cab of PLPC for a longer experiment).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

If I were to do it, I would use fairly fresh 25ct box. Half would be wrapped in cello, the other half remain as is, with the last cigar as a test sample (take notes on this cigar). Keep the remaining 24 in the same tupperdor (place one boveda inside), but separated from each other. Sample one cigar from each group every six months, starting from one year after the initial test cigar. Take notes on the flavour, construction, etc, but don't refer back to previous notes (to prevent contamination or skewing of results). You should have 7 years worth of aging by the time the experiment is complete (or use a cab of PLPC for a longer experiment).

Since my last post I was thinking the same thing, also have someone grab the cigars for me, so I won't know which is which until after both are done.