CNN. The secret world of cigars

That's the cigar world Zino Davidoff imagined. The imagery is burned in non-smokers mind as a luxury hobby. I think 99% of cigar lounges illustrate that it is not that way at all. But honestly what kind of story piece would be interested in showing a lounge with people from all ages, diverse ethnic groups and all walks off life? Soooo boring, right?

Their arguments for smoking are "it brings character and distinction" and "it's simpler then other luxury hobbies". Really?!? Oh and great advice there: "don't go for a 1h30m smoke if you've only got 20mins". ? What a sad video.

On 4/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, TheGipper said:

This appears to be Club Macanudo in New York City.  The suits are explained by: 1) this is NYC, and 2) NYC Club Macanudo has a dress code.

Yes, the setting is important factor in this video.  If this video was the corner of the country cigar shop; everything would be different.  The passion would be the same.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Min said:

I didn't find anything anything wrong with the vid personally ?. I go to Club Macanudo every time I visit NYC. It is a lounge that you can take your girl friend and wife to if they don't smoke cigars. I usually smoke 99 percent outdoors in  the forest so it is nice to dress up all dapper and smoke in "posh" lounges once in a while ?

It's not the lounge and dress code at all (nor the tosser).

It is the continued portrayal of the secret world of  cigars being "for" and used "by" the elite. 

It certainly is one part. I would say a minor part in the overall scheme of things but by God you wouldn't know it. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Baccy said:

Yea CNN, we're all CEOs?

...but then again what more could you expect from the counterfeit news network?

I am not the CEO of my company, but I am the CJO... Chief Janitorial Officer.

• Haha 1

I don't believe there is a strict code at Club Macanudo in NYC.  I go there 7 or 8 times a year and see a fair number of folks dressing down.  It's still mostly suits, but I'm guessing that's more about the after work crowd.  They might not let you in wearing shorts, flip flops and a ripped t-shirt, but I've seen plenty of golf shirts and jeans.

Any of you news hounds catch the Fox News tape last Thursday: "Trump cancels aid to 3 Mexican Countries"?  Hmmm? :thinking:  Go CNN! :P 

• Haha 1

I like wearing flip flops, cargo shorts and a t-shirt. I also happened to wear a suit for a living. Smoking a cigar in a suit right now as a matter of fact.

One thing I dislike as much as the portrayal of cigar smokers as elitists are cigar smokers that are just as judgmental.  

I think Rob's point was that the cigar and the elitist myth that is propagated by the media is harmful to the cigar industry.

Some might call me an old fat white guy wearing a suit. Others would call me a young fat white guy wearing flip-flops and cargo shorts.  It's all a matter of perspective.

I quite enjoy wearing a suit and believe that clothes have a significant impact on how others perceive us for better or for worse.  Nothing wrong with wearing a nice suit.

I live in Southern California so not everybody out here is a hippie with a surfboard. I don't think I could surf anyway ?

20190409_144108.jpg

• Like 4

It might just be where I live but the more homeless you look the more affluent you tend to be.  Suits and fancy watches scream debt.  Shorts and hoodie shout tech money.  Dress codes are becoming more and more of a joke at bars and clubs.  Definitely a wide variety of lifestyles at cigar shops.

5 hours ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

It might just be where I live but the more homeless you look the more affluent you tend to be.  Suits and fancy watches scream debt.  Shorts and hoodie shout tech money.  Dress codes are becoming more and more of a joke at bars and clubs.  Definitely a wide variety of lifestyles at cigar shops.

And what does wearing a pink tutu, mismatched thigh-high rainbow stockings, a white 6' feather boa, fishnet top, black leather metal studded gloves, and make-up to put Tammy Faye Bakker to shame, scream?

5 hours ago, Fuzz said:

And what does wearing a pink tutu, mismatched thigh-high rainbow stockings, a white 6' feather boa, fishnet top, black leather metal studded gloves, and make-up to put Tammy Faye Bakker to shame, scream?

Fuzz headed out to the grocery store.....

:lol3:

• Haha 2

*At the end of the video I had to remark to myself that there were no "Habanas" among the smokes:
       But then, the fact that the first cigar band displayed was from a Las Cabrillas stunned me - WHO smokes those :blink:  :confused:  The first one I tried back in my beginning of getting into this hobby I tried one - one.  I said, "Never again." Some Don Tomas` I've had in past years were actually superb IMHO. However - it does seem like sacrilege to ever talk about cigar smoking and class without including something from Cuba.

I love the cigar bands that are metal any idea what they are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Tollickd said:

I love the cigar bands that are metal any idea what they are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

* They're on vintage Macanudo maduro's