FOHrensics Ep 2: Which drink pairs best with a cigar?

Ferrero

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grab a cigar and your favourite drink...       

My preferred beverage 

So I decided to do my own experiment and see if it was just Orange Juice or if other Orange drinks or other Juices made a difference when smoking a cigar.  I paired it with a cigar I've smoked qu

Shocked by the results. Can someone link the thread here with everyone's guesses about what they expected the results to be? I couldn't find it with search and it would be fun to compare the guesses with the final results. I can't remember now what I guessed but I'm pretty certain that OJ was not on my list. 

Great experiment! 

5 hours ago, Ferrero said:

Grab a cigar and your favourite drink

At the 15 min mark Smithy posed a question, what drinks actually featured the most favour notes in common with cigars?

I would argue you were missing drink that has most in common is;

Jose Cuervo 1800 Anejo

Cedar, Caramel, spiciness, citrus, grassiness, honey it's all there. 

jose-cuervo-1800-anejo-1283935-s441.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I read somewhere that Winston Churchill spent a day in Cuba smoking cigars and eating oranges, so must be something there!

For me it's gotta be a nice smooth aged rum from Barbados (Mount Gay XO, Doorly's XO, Doorly's 12, Rum Sixty Six), or St Lucia (Chairmans Reserve, Admiral Rodney).

But mostly I reach for Doorly's XO.

Really enjoying watching this, and I intend to replicate this experiment with a couple of cigar buddies.

BTW I enjoy most nowadays with a cigar:  honey bourbon (really honey Tennessee whiskey) OR bourbon with a spoonful of honey OR an Irish whiskey with a spoonful of honey. Seems to bring out the flavors way way better than a scotch or plain bourbon or whiskey. Must be the sweetness of the honey that I like.  Now onto orange juice!

I’ll have to try a Monty 4 with OJ one morning this weekend. The most common pairing for me is a black Americano but also enjoy rum and cognac.

If you do another test with other drinks it would be interesting to see your comments on an XO cognac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, juri said:

crazy i always use to drink OJ with my cigars now its more of whatever is on hand but i always felt OJ went the best with cigars 

You need to try with this bad boy a san pellegrino aranciata. One of my favourites. 

image.png.f42774df5f2ff32a7dc4a7626ec496c5.png

• Like 4

Interesting results, and surprising with the OJ factor. I’ve always enjoyed a Margarita with cigars, perhaps this is similar to the OJ effect.

Consistent with the results, I’ve struggled to find a red wine that pairs well with a cigar, but a recent suggestion to try a shiraz, or syrah, given it’s sweet and smokey nature, seems to be working fairly well.

I'm going to try this tomorrow and see which OJ makes a real difference, totally shocked with the results but glad Coffee is still a good pairing as I normally have that with most of my cigars.

• Like 1