FOHrensics Ep 2: Which drink pairs best with a cigar?

Ferrero

2 hours ago, argrovesjd said:

That's what I was getting at in my question above.  And I am talking about Coke made with CANE SUGAR and not high fructose corn syrup.  

I'm not a soda drinker, but sodas made with cane sugar vs. syrup HUGE difference. Can agree on that.

Has anyone had Jupiña Pineapple Soda? From Cawy Bottling (based out of Miami). So freaking good. Hard to find depending on what part of the country you're in, but you can get it off Amazon as well. Delicious! By itself and with rum mmmmm

Image result for jupina

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grab a cigar and your favourite drink...       

My preferred beverage 

So I decided to do my own experiment and see if it was just Orange Juice or if other Orange drinks or other Juices made a difference when smoking a cigar.  I paired it with a cigar I've smoked qu

8 hours ago, argrovesjd said:

Rob, is that Coke Zero or another diet version? 

7 hours ago, aphexafx said:

Wow, good catch.  Sorry, but it HAS to be original formula Coca-Cola.  The difference is HUGE.  THE RESULTS ARE SKEWED.  ?

But, seriously.  ?

2 hours ago, argrovesjd said:

That's what I was getting at in my question above.  And I am talking about Coke made with CANE SUGAR and not high fructose corn syrup.  

It is the highly offensive Coke No Sugar. I don't mind Coke Zero, but Coke No Sugar is horrible. :rolleyes:

And in Aus, all our original Coke is made with cane sugar. We don't use HFCS here.

Bourbon old fashion is the ticket. Orange bitters, natural sugar cube, very thin slice or two of orange skin (for the oil) 2-4 oz your favorite bourbon, add one giant ice cube! Covers all the bases!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Had to give it a try so grabed a media corona and some fresh sqeezed blood orange juice. Very nice combo, as was said it really creates a creaminess that I enjoy. Thanks FOH for improving my quality of life once again. 

20190414_145002.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GWG said:

Had to give it a try so grabed a media corona and some fresh sqeezed blood orange juice. Very nice combo, as was said it really creates a creaminess that I enjoy. Thanks FOH for improving my quality of life once again. 

20190414_145002.jpg

We aim to please! 

Hope you are well, mate. When are you coming to Bris so I can show you round the craft beer scene here? It's not far to go. What's the hold-up? ;)

An interesting video. I'm wondering, would the top 4 still be the same for another marca? Might I suggest this test be conducted again, using only the top 4 drinks, with different cigars?

Will orange juice have the same effect with a CoRo, PLPC, or RyJ Churchill? Can it uplift a Quintero Favoritos?

Enquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

No Tequila in the test?

I'm thinking based on your findings a Sunrise may be the bomb!

Very interesting, I will be experimenting with my next cigar.

Any thoughts on root beer or cream Soda or Dr Pepper?
I have enjoyed some cigars with root beer. Usually a Nica cigar. I generally lean towards a coffee, rum or bourbon with a CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

No Tequila in the test?

Yep, I'm surprised more FOH haven't cottoned on to how good high quality reposado and anejo tequila is with cigars.   I adore the Paloma cocktail

2x shots of Reposado Tequila

1x tablespoon of of Agavero liquer or Agave necter

Ice, and toped up with unsweetened Pink Grapefruit juice.  wedge of lime and squeeze of lime,  Sprig of Mint.   Salt rim optional

Lovely stuff. 

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 09.47.28.jpg

Tried with orange juice last week. Was quite pleased! Although I didn't get on with the cigar (Cohiba Secretos) it was tightly rolled and a bit too youthful. 

I do normally like Stouts, heavily sherried whisky and coke. But the coke has to be full sugar with a cigar. Not zero sugar.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:54 AM, 99call said:

Yep, I'm surprised more FOH haven't cottoned on to how good high quality reposado and anejo tequila is with cigars.   I adore the Paloma cocktail

2x shots of Reposado Tequila

1x tablespoon of of Agavero liquer or Agave necter

Ice, and toped up with unsweetened Pink Grapefruit juice.  wedge of lime and squeeze of lime,  Sprig of Mint.   Salt rim optional

Lovely stuff. 

Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 09.47.28.jpg

I’m definitely making one of these- or two...

Incidentally, I tried pairing a Monte 2 with OJ yesterday. It’s a good match. Feels like it “resets” your tastebuds. I think it’s counterintuitive because people may expect a result similar to drinking OJ after brushing your teeth?  What I didn’t care for so much was that I still tasted OJ while smoking - but it didn’t seem to impair the cigar’s flavor- it was an additive effect.  Still, because of convenience and personal habit I still prefer a bottle of water.  I like OJ with breakfast.  I’ve told myself that the OJ somehow helps combat the cholesterol and saturated fat from bacon and eggs so many times that I know believe it.  Self-delusion- one can eat their cake and have it to!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, KavalanWhisky said:

IMG_20190412_190047.thumb.jpg.7b2e291b8fbee226acfd2693e59b42cd.jpg

Good job with this experiment! I agree with you, fizzy orange drinks didn't do anything for me. I just had a cigar yesterday with a San Pellegrino Aranciata and did not see the same results as plain orange juice.  I'm sticking with plain orange juice.

• Like 1

I demand a recount!

The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve pairs much better with the pepper in a Partagas than the cocoa/coffee of the Monte!  The P2 and D4, to be specific.  

Alright guys, back to work ... drink and light up!

8 hours ago, MigsG said:

Good job with this experiment! I agree with you, fizzy orange drinks didn't do anything for me. I just had a cigar yesterday with a San Pellegrino Aranciata and did not see the same results as plain orange juice.  I'm sticking with plain orange juice.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad someone else confirms my findings.

I'm thinking my next experiment will be with different types of chocolate pairings!!   

• 2 weeks later...

coke zero with cigars, have done it, a little odd but ok

cane sugar coke is hard to come by these parts, and is pricey, about 3-4 bucks a can. What about coke life?

otherwise, the usual go to is:
1) cold oolong tea 
2) coffee
3) rum

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I swear by Dr Pepper.

Ginger beer works for me too as long as it has lots of ice.

As for alcoholic beverage,  Havana rum with ice or  Guinness.   For some reason whisky hasn't really done it for me (shame because I have a small collection of single malts).

DP.png

• 2 months later...

What a great video! Thanks for putting it together! I have wondered about pairings and tried many up there but never OJ. I like a flavored seltzer water, mostly lime (like Bubbly or LaCroix). That seems to act as a good pallet cleanser between puffs. 

• 1 month later...

My experience has been the only drink I can drink with any cigar is water. I have also experimented with Wines, Brandies, Cognacs, Rums, and Whiskeys. I am intrigued with the Anejo Tequilla pairings and will soon try that. 

My experience has me liking rye whiskey, Speyside and Highland scotches and white or gold rums with lighter bodied cigars. Non Cubans would be Sticks like Rocky Patel 55, or Romeo y Juliet Bully. For the Cuban varieties with these same drinks The first to come to mind is El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme, and I was surprised by this one, Hoyo de Monterey Epicure #2.

I could go through the bourbons and the rums and all the other liquors as I have tried with cigars here too or I can cut things short  and say Cigar flavor strength and liquor flavor strength can pair well and enhance the flavor of both! However for me most of the enjoyment comes from the experimenting and trying different pairings. 

So smoke em if you got em and thanks to whomever started this.