The Harley Davidson Decline

8 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Well you can't blame China, can you? Just look at the filthy air SMOG there, so bad it blocks out the sun and people walk the streets wearing surgical masks. Maybe I am blind, but here in my parts I see nor smell no smog or dirty air. But the USA is only a population of 320 million. Which pales in comparison to China.

Agreed and I understand the US cultural difficulty in embracing the electrical vehicle world. 

As the world's current  tech leader....I can't see the US handing over the tech advantage in this sphere. It would be dangerous on so many levels. 

I started out with a Honda CT90. Then had a MX250 Yamaha (motocross. Was young). Then a YZ400 (beast of a machine, but a LOT of fun). Then bought a 73 Yamaha RD350. Made it into a cafe racer and took it to Summit Point in WV ( a LOT more Fun!). Sold it and bought a 650 Yamaha (I worked at a Yamaha-BMW dealer as a mechanic). Sold the 650 and bought a 1980 HD Lowrider. Wore a brown leather jacket and no helmet (Md back then). I fixed the twilight when it fell off. I fixed the kickstand when it fell off. It spent two weeks at the dealer for blown head rings. I finally sold it when the frame cracked where it attached to the steering crown. With it, I was able to pick up four women who loved to ride (in more ways than one,,,,heh...heh). It handled like a brick going into corners (no RD350 for sure) and scraped pipes in right hand corners. I hated to sell it because it was the most impressive bike I ever rode. Wasn't fast and parts kept falling off and my current wife rode it one time, I pulled a wheelie (no sissy bar) and she said she would never ride again. So I sold it and bought a corvette. We are still married 34 years later. She has her diamonds, I have a Hyundai. And my cubans ( :2thumbs:

• Like 1

Electric vehicles have absolutely gone mainstream here in California - there are so many Tesla’s here it’s getting mildly annoying.

• Haha 1

@inter4alia I think you answered it, at least for me - HD was (and still can be) a hobby and a lifestyle, a custom machine, an art form, that essentially lives and breathes (air and gasoline.) Today there are so many other interests, and internet, vying for attention there isn’t time for the craft or hands on. I could be wrong, just an opinion.

Half jokingly I’d say, Internet killed HD!

6 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Wait a minute! According to an unnamed young woman, isn't the world going to end in 12 years??!! 

Sure, just as some great American industrialist once around the turn of the century claimed that the horse will forever be the preferred transport of man ?

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Agreed and I understand the US cultural difficulty in embracing the electrical vehicle world. 

Yes and no. At it's heart, I think it's a partly a geographical issue in the US, as it must be in OZ. Do you think your rural countrymen outside of the east coast will be quick to ditch their pickup trucks and embrace EVs?   Most of our east coast, like Europe, grew up around the train station, and the city dwellers don't really need the range so the EV works for them and I think that fine for them. The rest of the country grew up around the automobile and aren't going to be so quick to suffer the disadvantages of EVs where range, payload, towing are important to their lives. 

My friend has a Tesla S. Most incredible car I've ever driven! It has a stated +- 280 mi range, BUT, if you want to listen to go uphill, listen to the radio, turn on the AC or drive at night it will go around half of that. When they drive to the closest major urban area, they have a 20-30 minute wait to recharge, a recharge there, and again on the way home. Range anxiety is real out here in the sticks !

Personally, I have a full size Ford pickup, but since it self identifies as a Prius I'm OK, right?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Electric vehicles have absolutely gone mainstream here in California - there are so many Tesla’s here it’s getting mildly annoying.

Same in MA.