Game of Thrones... who's a fan?

The whole world, apparently.

I've seen so much related hype (on completely unrelated shows - like the footy), over the weekend, about the final series landing, today. And I've had numerous friends and family saying I have to get on board... 

But, simply put, I'm not on board. I've seen about two minutes of one episode. 

These days, I rarely ever watch a tv series. Especially as it goes to air. The best I'm likely to do is binge watch it about five years later. Which is pretty much what I did with Breaking Bad. That was great. I think I enjoy that condensed timeframe experience far more. 

Anyhow, this morning, I happen to be doing some planning for 2024 (I'll need to clean the oven that year), so tell me, how good is this show? Where do you rank it all-time?

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Huge fan of the books first then the show. Show quality declined after they ran out of source material when the show caught up and surpassed the books.  Having said that, the show is still a grea

You people know this isn't real, right? Sent from 47171 Lempo 

I have not seen The Sopranos, but in the Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, etc. Game of Thrones is up there with them

Even to avoid the spoiler discussion that happens everywhere on Monday I would recommend you watch it

Jose

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i read all the books first and then watched a couple of the early series, which i enjoyed. decided i would rather wait till they were all done then watch the lot. ideally martin would have finished the books by then but fat chance of that. 

i will probably read the books again before i get around to the tv series. 

loved the books, some more than others of course. 

• Like 2

Huge fan of the books first then the show. Show quality declined after they ran out of source material when the show caught up and surpassed the books. 

Having said that, the show is still a great spectacle and the books may never be finished. Will be watching as soon as they air.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bayala said:

Huge fan of the books first then the show. Show quality declined after they ran out of source material when the show caught up and surpassed the books. 

Having said that, the show is still a great spectacle and the books may never be finished. Will be watching as soon as they air.

Agreed. The show was exceptional until Season5…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Got it lined up for tonight! Love the show! I put it up there with Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Sopranos, Mad Men, etc. One of the best series of all time.

Curious as to if you watched The Shield?

If you can manage to suspend your disbelief then the show is very compelling.  The books are incredibly detailed and far more immersive (not to mention the additional story lines), but as far as TV shows go, GoT is a definite hit for fans of fantasy and medieval fiction.  My worry for season 8 is that they'll try to tie up the many loose ends and finish out the series in the style of Lost.

• Like 1

The books are incredibly detailed and far more immersive (not to mention the additional story lines), but as far as TV shows go, GoT is a definite hit for fans of fantasy and medieval fiction.

Let's not get into the books vs TV or movie discussion. , We will need another thread

Let's not get into the books vs TV or movie discussion. , We will need another thread

The books will never be finished anyway :(
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

If you can manage to suspend your disbelief then the show is very compelling.  The books are incredibly detailed and far more immersive (not to mention the additional story lines), but as far as TV shows go, GoT is a definite hit for fans of fantasy and medieval fiction.  My worry for season 8 is that they'll try to tie up the many loose ends and finish out the series in the style of Lost.

I’m a big fan of the series as well. However, this is exactly what I’m afraid of. I know that each of these last episodes will be longer than an hour, but I think they are going to be short on time when it’s all said and done. Hopefully I’m wrong...

2 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Have not seen The Shield.

I highly recommend The Shield and looking back you don't mention The Wire either. I put them next to if not above Sopranos and Mad Men...GoT I've been reading since 1998, the HBO shows have been sweet candy

3 minutes ago, FatherOfPugs said:

I tried watching The Wire, got through 4 episodes and didn't care for it. 

Totally understand. I saw a late season episode that hooked me and I started at the beginning. As a total work, wonderful. Episode by episode, there are certainly misses.

2 hours ago, Çnote said:

I highly recommend The Shield and looking back you don't mention The Wire either. I put them next to if not above Sopranos and Mad Men...GoT I've been reading since 1998, the HBO shows have been sweet candy

Big fan of The Shield and The Wire. 

Hadn't seen anyone mention Deadwood, which I personally put above all of them.  Show was only 3 seasons due to the cast wanting to move on and/or wanting too much money, but it's an incredible show.  HBO will release a Deadwood movie here in a few weeks to wrap up all the loose ends left by the ending of the series.  The show is full of great one-liners.  :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CooGAR said:

Big fan of The Shield and The Wire. 

Hadn't seen anyone mention Deadwood, which I personally put above all of them.  Show was only 3 seasons due to the cast wanting to move on and/or wanting too much money, but it's an incredible show.  HBO will release a Deadwood movie here in a few weeks to wrap up all the loose ends left by the ending of the series.  The show is full of great one-liners.  :)

HBO usually kills the good ones:

Deadwood, Carnivale, Rome 

Awesome that the Deadwood movie is actually on track! I had given up hope!

22 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i read all the books first and then watched a couple of the early series, which i enjoyed. decided i would rather wait till they were all done then watch the lot. ideally martin would have finished the books by then but fat chance of that. 

i will probably read the books again before i get around to the tv series. 

loved the books, some more than others of course. 

That's a brilliant idea Ken, I have to ask my friends who are even nerdier than me to help me connect the dots bc the plot is so dense.  

A binge worthier show has never existed.

22 hours ago, bayala said:

Exactly how I feel about GoT. Loved the books and the shows but the spark died slightly once the shows overtook the books. I'll still watch it as it's great TV but there is a little something missing now for me.

5 hours ago, Çnote said:

I would put The Wire up there as perhaps the best series I've ever watched. Was hooked on that show so much I watched it right through a second time. Only show I've ever done that with I think.....

• Like 2