Game of Thrones... who's a fan?

Its another one of those series on my "never watched" list because I honestly thought it must be completely and utterly over-hyped nonsense for the sheepish masses. Other examples include the Harry Potter movies (never watched), all of those pathetic reality TV shows (Big Brother for example - never watched), or corny TV sit-coms, like Friends, Seinfield or Big Bang Theory (never watched a single episode of any of them).  I kinda lumped it in with them, but based on what a lot of people say, that may not be fair.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Huge fan of the books first then the show. Show quality declined after they ran out of source material when the show caught up and surpassed the books.  Having said that, the show is still a grea

You people know this isn't real, right? Sent from 47171 Lempo 

On 4/14/2019 at 3:50 PM, MoeFOH said:

Where do you rank it all-time?

Going with a conservative guess - in the top 25?

The visual effects were stunning.  Saw a dragon scene that was impressive. Haven’t watched it since (or more than once before!)

10 hours ago, Bill Hayes said:

Good episode I thought but it was a bit dark which made it hard to see what was going on. Will have to watch it again with the lights off so no reflections on the TV screen. glad Ayra got the Night King!

In the inevitable write Monday morning write ups the were a few that talked about how dark the episode was. The show was streaming at a very high  HD # and the problem was noticed by many. May be too many watching at 3800? Anyway, it was dark, so dark I found it very hard to watch. We watched it again last night and after changing my TV screen setting to Vivid the whole thing opened up. I thought the episode  was OK but and there was some good suspense up to the end. All in all though, this last season seems kinda meh. May be too much hype to live up to.  

• Like 1

I’m not into the whole dungeon and dragon fairy tale idea, but GOT is by far my favorite show ever. I will say that HBO has a history of poor/no endings (sopranos/deadwood/carnival) so hopefully they do this justice. I’ll agree with those who have said the last episode was a little disappointing but still entertaining. I couldn’t see a thing during the battle due to darkness. Also, @bayala was right when he mentioned the night kings ending was anticlimactic. It wasn’t very clear as to why he was so careless trying to get to bran. What is Bran’s value to him? Also I would’ve liked them to have seen Arya using her training to pretend to be one of the white walkers to get to the night king instead of run super fast past everyone. My two cents. Looking forward to the rest of the season and spin offs. 

• Like 1

Bran as the Three Eyed Raven can see the whole history of mankind, which is what the Night King wanted to eradicate, all known history of mankind. They talk about it in the previous season, Bran during a later episode, I can't remember which, speaks as to why the Night King is after him. I believe Samwell also talks about it. 

I believe it was because he is mankind’s only keeper (memory) of all history. With him gone so is that record of history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, joeypots said:

In the inevitable write Monday morning write ups the were a few that talked about how dark the episode was. The show was streaming at a very high  HD # and the problem was noticed by many. May be too many watching at 3800? Anyway, it was dark, so dark I found it very hard to watch. We watched it again last night and after changing my TV screen setting to Vivid the whole thing opened up. I thought the episode  was OK but and there was some good suspense up to the end. All in all though, this last season seems kinda meh. May be too much hype to live up to.  

F20870C2-783F-4311-AA7D-733E15FD22D1.jpeg.8b15660dad32f9f322de381e4b8913bd.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, BirdDog said:

They had a good plan but awful execution. The idea of using Bran as bait for the Night King made a ton of sense but then when the Night King showed up there was only the ball-less Theon Greyjoy with a dozen archers there to kill the ice king... none of which had Valerian steel or dragon glass!!! Everyone knows you can’t kill the Night King without Valerian steel or dragon glass! WTF were they thinking! Humanity was so lucky that Arya was there to save the day. 

They were dragonglass arrowheads I believe.  

I thought this last episode(Battle of Winterfell) was more disappointing than anything else. There were so many problems with the storytelling, the lighting issue is the least of its problems.

1. The Dothraki cavalry charge was one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen. It's pitch dark. You can't see the opposing army, but you know it's easily in the 100,000+, and the undead don't give a damn about intimidation tactics. Why play offensive, when this battle should most definitely be defensive?

2. So many of the main cast should have died, namely Brienne, Jaime, Sam, and Tormund. They were dog-piled multiple times during the episode, but the next shot to them, they're fine. I don't understand...

3. Jorah's death was emotional for sure, but a question I have is how did he get out there to Dany? I thought there were still thousands of undead outside the walls. How'd he get past all of them? Teleportation?

4. The NK's death was so badly executed. Nearly 10 years of buildup and we get this? Seriously? I do not buy that Arya somehow got past hundreds of wights and generals unseen. It was demonstrated literally 15 minutes prior that the grunts(wights) can hear drops of blood in the midst of all the fighting happening outside. Given this demonstration of super-abilities and Arya struggling to get away from a handful of wights, how in the hell did she get close enough to jump the NK? Arguing that Arya trained to be an assassination is ignoring the spirit this show had in seasons prior. Oberyn Martell had been training for many years to kill the Mountain. He got his head pancaked. 

5. Cersei is a terrible final villain. She's not all that compelling, clever, or has wit. She's just a twisted psycho asshole. Not an interesting villain in the slightest in my opinion.

After initial viewing, I gave this episode a 7/10. But after sitting on it for a day or two and really thinking about it, I'd give it a 4/10 now.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoy the books and series of Game of Thrones. It may be controversial but I have felt like the last two or three seasons have kind of lost their way. I enjoyed the plotting, conversations and general time that the narrative was given to build up. Whereas now it seems to be just big action sequences. 

I have found the first three episodes of the latest series to be very underwhelming. In three and a half hours the battle has happened and little else of significance. I’m hoping for a big finish but I feel as though some favourite characters are a bit too safe. Perhaps the first 2-3 seasons set the bar too high? 

2 hours ago, David88 said:

I really enjoy the books and series of Game of Thrones. It may be controversial but I have felt like the last two or three seasons have kind of lost their way. I enjoyed the plotting, conversations and general time that the narrative was given to build up. Whereas now it seems to be just big action sequences. 

I have found the first three episodes of the latest series to be very underwhelming. In three and a half hours the battle has happened and little else of significance. I’m hoping for a big finish but I feel as though some favourite characters are a bit too safe. Perhaps the first 2-3 seasons set the bar too high? 

I’m thinking they will kill a bunch of major characters in the last 2 episodes.  At this point, what do they have to lose?

Tactics used were awful. The dothraki were needlessly wasted. Dont think I saw the unsullied kill a single wight.

Arya killing the night king was a surprise and Arya does have a habit and skill of being able to get to the godswood quietly and unseen but still was looking forward to the Jon/Night King showdown.

And my main question is what army is left to fill half a dozen ships to sail to Kings Landing with as per the ep 4 trailer?

I think all in all it was alright, but could have been a lot better

1 hour ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I’m thinking they will kill a bunch of major characters in the last 2 episodes.  At this point, what do they have to lose?

Even if they do, the writers will most likely make the deaths so they "look cool". The show has really lost its spirit of being vicious and unforgiving to characters who mess up.

• Thanks 1

I rewatched it last night and I think hbo heard everyone’s gripe about it being dark  that they brightened the stream it seems. That or there’s less people streaming so it’s not compressed as hell.  

So if you believe in prophecies, who’s gonna choke the crap out of Cersei? Daenerys? Arya? Tyrion? I don’t think it will be Jaime but that would be sweet. Even sweeter would be Sansa getting down and dirty but that’s probably improbable.  Or perhaps after the Clegane bowl (sirens going off), the hound gets to do the deed after he kills the mountain who’s protecting Cersei. 

I rewatched it last night and I think hbo heard everyone’s gripe about it being dark  that they brightened the stream it seems. That or there’s less people streaming so it’s not compressed as hell.  
So if you believe in prophecies, who’s gonna choke the crap out of Cersei? Daenerys? Arya? Tyrion? I don’t think it will be Jaime but that would be sweet. Even sweeter would be Sansa getting down and dirty but that’s probably improbable.  Or perhaps after the Clegane bowl (sirens going off), the hound gets to do the deed after he kills the mountain who’s protecting Cersei. 

Has to be Tyrion or Jamie .... time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the show and as for people complaining about the show being too dark in the last episode, I'd love to tell them to perhaps tweak and adjust their TV sets from the standard "Out the box settings" and fine tune.

I have no complaints but then again, it can come down to several factors such as TV make and quality also, stream quality/internet speed(s). Lastly... it's set in the dark people! 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 5:34 PM, Smallclub said:

I strongly disagree with the bolded. One doesn't have to be a film student to realize the the drop in writing quality that occurred as early as season 5.

Agree in part, this happens often I find in TV series.

Perfect example of a show "I loved" and now say "Meh" is The Walking Dead. Started out on a massive high for several seasons, now it's all much "Same same" writing is often poor.

I hate when "The bad guy" is hyped up so much that the viewer is then left feeling underwhelmed when they kill him/her off so easily, such as the Night King in GOT. 

Was the longest battle in TV history but not the best. I still think "Battle Of The bastards" was more action packed and faster paced than this. 

Even so... I love the show.