Cuban Cigars that could pass as Non Cuban?

I had this question in my email from a new member. 

"I have only had NC's but recently had a Partagas Shorts and found it a little too strong. I know it will take a while to get the hang of it so for the time being can you give me with three or four cigars that taste similar to a Don Carlos or Illusione? I know I am asking alot" 

He is asking a lot because I don't smoke enough of those cigars. Over to you fine members. Recommend some cigars and any advice. I will give him a link to this thread :ok:

A fresh Vegueros Entretiempos smoked blind had me fooled....

4 minutes ago, WABOOM said:

It always surprises me when someone says that Cuban cigars are too strong. Because in my experience Nicaraguan cigars and even a lot of the DR's are taste much stronger than Cubans.

I agree, I smoke both but find I much prefer Cubans. NC's are not only a lot stronger but the smell and taste lingers for hours. I wish Cubans did this.

I would recommend trying the HDM epi. #2. Sounds like he wants something light, but then again I prefer strong and these are light to me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WABOOM said:

It always surprises me when someone says that Cuban cigars are too strong. Because in my experience Nicaraguan cigars and even a lot of the DR's are taste much stronger than Cubans.

I think it's just a hangover from the past. Historically Cubans were strong, some very much so. But blends were started to get tweaked in the early 90's as well as different strains of tobacco were introduced that differed from the historic plants

On topic- the illusione CG:4 is very close to the Upmann Mag46 imo 

• Like 1

As someone who enjoys a lot of dominican cigar especially Don carlos, i would say that he will enjoy HDM epicure 2, partagas d4, just smoked my first Cohiba medio siglo and it was great also. don carlos is not a strong cigar. I would also say RyJ since its consider mild to medium, however i havent had any of them so i cannot but certain.

I’ve had my fair share of Don Carlos', it’s a decent blend IMO that’s known to be on the milder side as far as Fuentes go. They’re a bit creamy, a bit sweet - HdM Epi 2 wouldn’t be far off.

1 hour ago, WABOOM said:

Third this. Bolivar and partagas come the closest on strength, as far as the don Carlos I feel like H. Upmann and Hoyo come the closest 

• Like 1

Before reading the initial post and just the header, I immediately thought a young box of Partagas shorts. First time I tried them, could not believe how much they resembled a peppery Nicaraguan bomb. Very rough around the edges. Give that same box 4 or 5 years of down time in the cabinet and you have a completely different cigar. More nuanced, smoother and just plain better. 

Don Carlos is extremely mild for my taste. Illusione, I would say not mild. Illusione has a pretty big line and use to love smoking their Epernay Le Grande. Don’t know which Illusione he was smoking. I would have to go with Fonseca if you want mild, maybe a touch of medium. And yes as @NYgarman stated probably a young box of P Shorts

I personally find all Fuente and most Illusione cigars rather one-dimensional and boring. That is the point of trying something new, i.e., Habanos. If you already like the taste of Fuente, then buy Fuente. I’m not sure why you want to seek out Cuban with flavors similar to readily available non-Cuban cigars. 

I think Hoyo Epicure 2, as others have suggested, is worth trying as it is not that strong (in my opinion).  But branch out a little and look for new flavors. Upmann Connie A is great, and I love Upmann Magnum 50 too. But they don’t taste anything like Fuente or Illusione (to me). 

El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bsubtown said:

RASS was the first Cuban that reminded me of a Nicaraguan. It may need more time or it just might not be my cup of tea. On the other side I smoked a Foundation Tabernacle today that could have passed as a Cuban. 

The original or Havana seed Tabernacle? 

I would recommend a fake cuban cigar. Buy the cheapest esplendido you can find on the internets. It will taste nothing like a cuban cigar.

seriously though....cuban tobacco has a certain flavor profile compared to other countries. If you prefer another profile who cares. Smoke what you like.

A Cuban Cigar that could pass as Non- Cuban.......for me.....Partagas Maduro or Cohiba Maduro. To me they have a different flavor, body, mild. And like I said above......Fonseca. 

• Like 1

Not what you asked for but another factor to consider is humidity. A Cuban smoked at a typical 68-70Rh is going to be much harsher than one smoked at a dryer Rh. Most folks prefer Cuban cigars at around 60-62% Rh. Try some of the cigars suggested in this thread but try them a a lower Rh. Search for threads about dry boxing and discussions on humidity.  

• Like 2