Booze run

To be honest, I'm not a big drinker- out of necessity- but my wife and I used to have the greatest time going out to dinner and having a couple of cocktails.  I normally have water when I smoke cigars because it's just easy to pop the top off of a bottle of water since I have cases of them in the pantry.  Having children definitely changes your priorities.  My boy, almost two years old, was introduced to the world of tater tots, fish sticks, and ketchup a couple of weeks ago.  He wants ketchup with everything now.  So after cleaning up semi-dried ketchup on every surface in his playroom I just don't have the drive to play mixologist.  Why mixed drinks?  That's what my wife enjoys and I'm not keen on drinking solo - so mixed drinks it is.  This is the first step in reclaiming a little slice of our youthful vigor.  A little quiet time and a drink-poo.  We take turns doing the chores since we both work, so one might think that she could whip up a couple of said drinky-poos while I try to brush the teeth of a surprisingly strong boy who refuses to open his mouth.  Unfortunately, this is the woman who asked me, "What's a ladle?" after we were married.  I witnessed her dumping Kraft macaroni cheese powder into a pot of still boiling pasta elbows.  She is incapable of making a bowl of cereal without somehow using half the dishes in the cupboards.  No- a screwdriver is too lofty a goal for her I'm afraid.  The burden rests squarely on me.  The choice of cocktail in question is as difficult as finding the time to make them.  For her, it can't be too strongly alcoholic.  Picture spring break-sweet but slightly reigned in.  For me, I'm tired of screwdrivers, margaritas, mojitos, etc.  I'm leaning toward more classic recipes.  But that's not what this is all about.  This is about a website called ****.com (no reason to not name the site other than I'm not being paid to endorse them and I'm not sure how it's looked upon) and why I have the need, and now the opportunity, to go on my first dedicated booze run in over a decade.  There are several states, Alabama included, that have some kind of state monopoly over the sale of liquor.  I don't understand it, but basically it means you either go to a state-run liquor store where prices are reasonable but selection is terrible, or you go to a privately owned liquor store where the selection is better but prices are frankly outrageous.  Unfortunately, the privately owned liquor stores near my home don't have a very good selection at all.  And I live in a state where I cannot have liquor mailed to me.  Technically, I can arrange for it to be delivered to a state-run liquor store and have it delivered there and pay a sin tax- but this is never practiced since it requires notification and permission by the state and cooperation with the seller (who's never going to go along with such a scheme).  So- I have to travel.  And if I'm going to travel I must buy in mass quantities simply for the economy of scale.  Such an endeavor is impossible with an impossible toddler and I'm not even sure if they'd let me in with any child- this one in particular.  Fortunately, my wife is overstaffed at work and she's shifting one of her employees to babysitter duty on the weekend.  This means for the first time in two years I'm going to have a whole weekend where I can trim hedges, spray weedkiller, cast bullets, go to the range, handload, talk shit, chew tobacco, spit, take my wife to dinner and a movie- and go on a booze run.  Which brings me to ****.com.  This website- it's like the WalMart of liquor.  And beer.  And wine.  The last, I know the least about.  However, I was overwhelmed with the sheer number of types and sizes of liquors, liqueurs, ales, lagers, bitters, etc.  Frankly, it was intoxicating.  Simply place your order online, pay, and your order will be ready to pick up in 2 hours.  The prices are great, sales tax is laughable, and it's only a few hours drive from me.  So this weekend I'm making a booze run to stock up on suds and spirits.  The wife doesn't like beer so I'm limiting that to just some Hoegaarden and Weihenstephaner- a couple of brews I don't see locally.  I'm going to pick up some Calvados and other pear and apple "brandies" that I think she might like on their own.  We already have an ample supply of vodka.  

I know that I'm in the company of many well versed drinkers here on FOH, so I'd like your input and suggestions.  First, I'm trying the Paloma @99call recently posted.  Gin is reviled by me and she detests whiskey (though she once enjoyed a whiskey-based cocktail at a resort we went to when we were young and free).  So based on these limitations, what do you all suggest I pick up to try?

Hard to say, you have vodka, whiskey is out of the question, gin sounds like a no go so all that's left is tequila, but an old fashioned goes great with anything anytime of day breakfast lunch of dinner. And it's a go to staple drink classic and very easy to make. But I wish I could help more with you dilemma. 

First answer: Champagne! (or sparkling white wine) some available in half bottles or singles. Brut if you like zero (or almost no) sweetness, or Extra Dry for a touch of residual sugar.

Second answer: Pineapple juice, cranberry juice, limes, vodka, good ice. Mix any two or more and have a go!

Third answer, because I read brandy: Delord Armagnac 25 year, if it's available, the novelty of a 25 year old spirit plus an interesting sipper (also interesting how Armagnac traditionally is distilled only once by a traveling still that is towed to each plantation by horse.)  Pour a dram in a Glencairn glass, taste, add drops of water, and taste the flavor change with more and more water. Eventually reminds me of a white wine when enough water is added.

Fourth answer: White Russian (Kahlua, Vodka, Cream, ice)

Maybe check the internets and YouTubes for classic cocktails?

Fifth answer, which I vote unabashedly as the winner, for spring break: RUM + frozen strawberries + sugar to taste (slightly reigned in,) into a blender, garnish with something clever and a straw, and you have a daiquiri.  Maybe some premium grenadine. Maybe something green sticking out of the top to contrast the pink/red of the daquiri, and a mini cocktail umbrella, don't forget the choice glassware and a cocktail napkin for effect.

Fortified wine!

Tawny ports, Madeira, pineau de charantes, Banyuls, pommeau du Normand. All slightly sweet and for the most part shelf stable after opening. Serve neat, or Mix with tonic or soda and citrus. Fast and foolproof, great matches with cigars. Not so heady that 2-3 pours are out of the question, esp when cut long.

Keep in mind that Calvados and European fruit brandies are basically whiskey made from fruit; very little sweetness and often very kicky at entry level. The good stuff here and be fantastic, but also spendy beyond belief.

Champagne for sure; splits of nectar, riche, or doux for something with sweetness. There's lots of prebottled RTD high grade cocktails that you just pour over ice and enjoy.

Feel free to PM me whatever website you're shopping and I'll focus you in on some things to try that will make 30 second cocktails and point you in the direction of intelligent internet cocktail resources.

This is basically what I do all day, everyday.

Based on your description I’d recommend Casmigos. It’s likely available at any ABC store and definitely available at any online distributor. 

Clooney says he and his friends developed a tequila with no bite / hangover. While I’d obviously take that with a grain of salt, it’s certainly amazing neat and your wife should enjoy with ice and a few limes or lime juice for a simple margarita w/o all the sugar. 

Id recommend the respsado for best value and the Anejo if you can afford it. 

Not a massive drinker myself but found that dark Rum with mixer is normally a good combo and tastes like a soft drink.  Try Kracken rum with a ginger beer and squeeze of lime. A crude Dark and Stormy recipe.  Another good rum to try is Plantation Pineapple rum with Ginger beer, goes really well and pairs great with a cigar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Çnote said:

pommeau du Normand

Yes to this.    Everytime i've offered Pommeau de Normandie to friends.......you see these fact offer the expression "where has this been all my life".   Chateau du Breuil is my favourite producer

pommeau-de-normandie.jpg

See if you can find a bottle of blue Curacao, it's a blue coloured liqueur that's softly orange citrus. Quite cheap too usually. A sweet and girlfriend favourite simple cocktail is one part vodka, one part blue Curacao and 2 parts lemonade. It's called anything from a blue lagoon to a blue suede shoes. Tastes like a fruit drink, decidedly dangerous!

4 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

Not a massive drinker myself but found that dark Rum with mixer is normally a good combo and tastes like a soft drink.  Try Kracken rum with a ginger beer and squeeze of lime. A crude Dark and Stormy recipe.  Another good rum to try is Plantation Pineapple rum with Ginger beer, goes really well and pairs great with a cigar.

But. But your name :rotfl:

I love rum, but Kraken is disgusting to me. I do like the sound of the plantation one though

• Haha 2

Interesting question.  I think you'll like the paloma.  My favorite drink is the negroni or boulevardier (negroni made with rhye whisky in lieu of gin) but that doens't seem to fit your profile.  I'm also a huge fan of port wine (tawny 12 year or older) and mezcal.  Mix the two of them with a slash of lime juice (i cal it a Pureta Vallarta, a riff on the Port of Call, which is gin and ruby port with lime juice).  Mezcal, especially the smokier varietals, holds up very well with cigars. 

1) Moscow Mules

2) don’t be afraid to break out the blender. If you really want to impress her on a hot day, a simple combo of 60% glass of pina colada followed up by a second batch of strawberry daiquiri to top off the glass. It’s easy and my wife and her friends all act like teenage girls whenever I bust them out.

@MD Puffer I can totally relate to having young kids and the tight rope ability we need to escape once in a while.  

In Ontario, Canada we can only buy liquor from two places the beer store of the LCBO (Liquor board of Ontario) which is government run. Essentially all taxes from sales are given to the government so it is regulated price wise. Technically there is a 3rd option such as purchasing from vineyards. 

I recommend something on the sweeter side such as Moscato with fresh fruit. I second youtube with ideas on different cocktail recipes. 

9 hours ago, 99call said:

Yes to this.    Everytime i've offered Pommeau de Normandie to friends.......you see these fact offer the expression "where has this been all my life".   Chateau du Breuil is my favourite producer

pommeau-de-normandie.jpg

That's a great one but rarely seen in USA alas

Coffee, cacao/chocolate and nuts flavoured liqueurs are a woman’s best friends...

look up mudslide/white russian recipes, mix Kalhua and Frangelico or Amaretto (or both) with ice and milk (soy or other milk substitutes work) in a 1 to 2 booze to milk racio, dump in a cocktail cherry and slowly shift the blend towards a 1:1 ratio as numbness sets in.

liquoring oneself up doesn’t have to be fussy ?

This might change her opinion of whiskey cocktails, it has worked on several people I know:

1oz bourbon 

1oz Aperol 

1oz Amaro (ramazzotti preferred) 

1oz fresh lemon juice 

Shake with ice and serve up. 

36 minutes ago, inter4alia said:

This might change her opinion of whiskey cocktails, it has worked on several people I know:

1oz bourbon 

1oz Aperol 

1oz fresh lemon juice 

Shake with ice and serve 

Awesome cocktail and you can riff this all day with different aperitivo/ digestivo / brown liquor. A true modern classic.

19 hours ago, DeskSmkr said:

First answer: Champagne! (or sparkling white wine)

Second answer: Pineapple juice, cranberry juice, limes, vodka, good ice. Mix any two or more and have a go!

Third answer, because I read brandy: Delord Armagnac 25 year,...

Fourth answer: White Russian (Kahlua, Vodka, Cream, ice)

Maybe check the internets and YouTubes for classic cocktails?

Fifth answer, which I vote unabashedly as the winner, for spring break: RUM + frozen strawberries + sugar to taste (slightly reigned in,) into a blender, garnish with something clever and a straw, and you have a daiquiri.  Maybe some premium grenadine. Maybe something green sticking out of the top to contrast the pink/red of the daquiri, and a mini cocktail umbrella, don't forget the choice glassware and a cocktail napkin for effect.

Agreed.  Champagne and Prosecco are both on my list.  Either straight or as a spritzer/mixer- I don't think I can go wrong here.

Vodka and (fill in the blank juice)- this base is covered and our current staple!

They don't carry Delord, but I am going out on a limb and adding Jollite XO to the list.  It'll be my first foray into the world of Armagnac.  

Cream based cocktails- this will be a hit I think.  Again, new territory for me as well.  In addition to White Russians, I have Mudslides, Rumchatas, and Brandy Alexanders on the list.

The internet is a treasure trove of info.  The best sites I've visited so far allow you to filter recipes based on ingredients on hand.

As obvious as it was, I hadn't even considered daiquiris until you mentioned them!

19 hours ago, 99call said:

In terms of resposado/anejo tequila      I would definitely recommend both "Jose Cuervo 1800 Anejo" as a sipping tequila to be had on it's own.  and "Arette Anejo" for cocktails

Oh yes, tequila is on the list.

18 hours ago, Çnote said:

Keep in mind that Calvados and European fruit brandies are basically whiskey made from fruit; very little sweetness and often very kicky at entry level. The good stuff here and be fantastic, but also spendy beyond belief.

Shhhhhh.  If she doesn't like something (eg Calvados), then I'll have to manage to finish it off on my own!  ?

17 hours ago, kevpro said:

Based on your description I’d recommend Casmigos. It’s likely available at any ABC store and definitely available at any online distributor. 

Clooney says he and his friends developed a tequila with no bite / hangover. While I’d obviously take that with a grain of salt...

Hah. good one!  I have to narrow down the tequila choices.  A full exploration of this one spirit will require multiple trips I think.

17 hours ago, KavalanWhisky said:

Appleton Estate 12 yr old is on my list, as is Kraken black spiced rum.  Spiced rum in general is new to me and I'm not sure if it's more for drinking straight or better suited in cocktails.

17 hours ago, 99call said:

pommeau-de-normandie.jpg

This particular brand is not in stock at the location I'm going to- I'll be asking if they can order it since it's in their other stores.  

1 hour ago, Jeanff said:

Coffee, cacao/chocolate and nuts flavoured liqueurs are a woman’s best friends...

look up mudslide/white russian recipes, mix Kalhua and Frangelico or Amaretto (or both) with ice and milk (soy or other milk substitutes work) in a 1 to 2 booze to milk racio, dump in a cocktail cherry and slowly shift the blend towards a 1:1 ratio as numbness sets in.

liquoring oneself up doesn’t have to be fussy ?

Frangelico is great and on my list, as is Chambord and a number of other fruit liqueurs.

57 minutes ago, inter4alia said:

1oz bourbon 

1oz Aperol 

1oz fresh lemon juice 

Shake with ice and serve up. 

Does this have a name?

Good advice here.  Other items I'm picking up:  Apfelkorn (I've loved this stuff since I was a kid and my Dad let me have some on a Volksmarsch in Germany), Riesling, plum wine, sangria, Irish cream, Limoncello, elderflower liqueur, blue curacao, Chartreuse yellow (still debating whether I should get this one), amaretto, Galliano (also debating on whether I should take the plunge), Kahlua, ginger liqueur, cognac, apricot brandy, Midori, and Rumple Minze.  And Rompope.  And chocolate liqueur, Tuaca, and finally creme de menthe.  Advoocat is also on my list but out of stock.  I think this is more than a good start.  I'm up against a very discriminating palate!

28 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Does this have a name? 

Paper Plane. But if you look up the recipe online you might find slightly different Amaro preferences and slightly different pour volumes. 

No whisk(e)y huh? That's ok although sad.

This my friend is quite the epic story that you have written in order to get to a fairly simple point. I think your splice lies in tequilla. Oh, the sweet agave plant has so many delightful secrets. You can find these cheap, even in ABC states, where they claim to provide more freedom, but actually want your money and dont beleive in free markets at all (but that's another topic). Blanco is not aged at all, this clear liquid is often sweet and has a little edge on it. Repasado, is what I suggest for you and the wife. It is sweeter, still, and that edge is taken off by a year of aging in oak barrels. Now, Anejo is my shtick. It is at least 2 years old and 8mpart flavors of the wood. Don Julio 1492 is my favorite. So much cinnamon, dark fruit and oak. A sipper to be sure, but the wife probably will not appreciate it. Reposado, yes. Make margaritas with simple syrup and lime juice. Screw the other ingredients, they are for wusses, and never use sweet and sour... OR a simple recipe for the wife. A part (shot) of tequilla, 2 parts of OJ, a splash of grenadine. BOOM, tequilla sunrise. For you, my fine friend: tequilla, ice, 3 splashes of aromatic bitters, and that's it (add a little agave syrup if too strong). Tequilla Old Fashioned. 

I suggest just buying Hornitos Reposado. It's cheap and good. I get it for $15 a liter, but you're doing good if its $20 at ABC. You can move up from there if you like it. When experimenting  with tequilla, the only important thing is to ensure it is 100% agave. 

26 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

This my friend is quite the epic story that you have written in order to get to a fairly simple point. I think your splice lies in tequilla. Oh, the sweet agave plant has so many delightful secrets. You can find these cheap, even in ABC states, where they claim to provide more freedom, but actually want your money and dont beleive in free markets at all (but that's another topic). Blanco is not aged at all, this clear liquid is often sweet and has a little edge on it. Repasado, is what I suggest for you and the wife. It is sweeter, still, and that edge is taken off by a year of aging in oak barrels. Now, Anejo is my shtick. It is at least 2 years old and 8mpart flavors of the wood. Don Julio 1492 is my favorite. So much cinnamon, dark fruit and oak. A sipper to be sure, but the wife probably will not appreciate it. Reposado, yes. Make margaritas with simple syrup and lime juice. Screw the other ingredients, they are for wusses, and never use sweet and sour... OR a simple recipe for the wife. A part (shot) of tequilla, 2 parts of OJ, a splash of grenadine. BOOM, tequilla sunrise. For you, my fine friend: tequilla, ice, 3 splashes of aromatic bitters, and that's it (add a little agave syrup if too strong). Tequilla Old Fashioned. 

I suggest just buying Hornitos Reposado. It's cheap and good. I get it for $15 a liter, but you're doing good if its $20 at ABC. You can move up from there if you like it. When experimenting  with tequilla, the only important thing is to ensure it is 100% agave. 

I didn't mean to poo-poo Alabama's ABC stores- their pricing is competitive.  Interestingly, by law, everything they sale there must have some percentage of alcohol.  So even mixers that would otherwise be just sugar water and flavor have 1% alcohol to meet the criteria to be sold there. 

I'm looking to expand the wife's horizons but know I have to take baby steps.  I think there are two types of drinkers.  Those who want to taste whatever spirit their drinking, and those who want to mask it.  She and I are opposite ends of the coins.  Which means I'll be shopping for both of us! 

I've mostly stuck with Patron Anejo for drinking straight and silver for making margaritas.  And I totally agree with the classic margarita recipe- fresh squeezed lime juice and simple syrup.  I also add a splash of Cointreau as well.  Tequilas have enjoyed massive interest in the past decade it seems and there are many good ones to be had. Don Julio does look like a good choice and I'll be picking up the Reposado to my list- unfortunately they're out of stock on the Anejo and the 1492 is a bit pricey and I fear whatever it is that sets it apart would be lost on me.

Taste-wise, how does tequila differ from Mezcal? @kevpro mentioned Casamigos but I thought that was Mexcal- unless they also make a tequila?