Travel restrictions?

BigSkySmoke

There was another post started in the waterhole last week on this. Short story is no details have been given so no new news. The changes may take months since they have to make proposals first of the new changes in travel restrictions. Chances are, just like in 2017, if you've already bought your travel items, ex. flights, your going to be grandfathered in. Unless there is some major change that prevents it. But I doubt they will make the change a sudden one. There are three jetbue flights departing daily to cuba as well as other airlines with daily departures and multiple cruise lines with havana as its destination so they wouldnt cut non-relative travel without a good amount of time to the deadline. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SOFLO88 said:

There was another post started in the waterhole last week on this. Short story is no details have been given so no new news. The changes may take months since they have to make proposals first of the new changes in travel restrictions. Chances are, just like in 2017, if you've already bought your travel items, ex. flights, your going to be grandfathered in. Unless there is some major change that prevents it. But I doubt they will make the change a sudden one. There are three jetbue flights departing daily to cuba as well as other airlines with daily departures and multiple cruise lines with havana as its destination so they wouldnt cut non-relative travel without a good amount of time to the deadline. 

Thanks , great info. I talked to a local travel company and they had no idea on how travel would be affected. 

Guess ill just have to play it by ear. Just didnt want to pull the trigger on tickets and be unp the river in December. 

• Like 1

Yep, buy now, fly later.

I'm pretty sure they'll have to refund if they can't honor the flights.

You can always wait to book accommodations etc. later so long as you have your trip on the books,,,,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Yep, buy now, fly later.

I'm pretty sure they'll have to refund if they can't honor the flights.

You can always wait to book accommodations etc. later so long as you have your trip on the books,,,,

Don't they HAVE to issue full refunds, regardless if you purchase refundable tickets? If the government sanctions it...there's nothing anyone can do about it. 

Also, pretty sure thiese so-called sanctions won't happen for awhile. I think we're safe for now. 

10 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Don't they HAVE to issue full refunds, regardless if you purchase refundable tickets? If the government sanctions it...there's nothing anyone can do about it. 

Also, pretty sure thiese so-called sanctions won't happen for awhile. I think we're safe for now. 

Yes, that's the point.

If you book a trip prior to changes it should be grandfathered in.

If the flights are no longer available, you'll be refunded regardless if the tickets are non-refundable or not.

I'm thinking I may book trips every November now through 2025 using FF miles. No cash outlay and hopefully golden!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

Yes, that's the point.

If the flights are no longer available, you'll be refunded regardless if the tickets are non-refundable or not.

I'm thinking I may book trips every November now through 2025 using FF miles. No cash outlay and hopefully golden!

Wow how many miles you got?? "Please sir, may I have some more..."

"Sharing is caring" :rotfl:

Anyway, I didn't think you could book a flight more than 1 year away?

1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

Yes, that's the point.

Wow how many miles you got?? "Please sir, may I have some more..."

"Sharing is caring" :rotfl:

Anyway, I didn't think you could book a flight more than 1 year away?

Mainly targeting the cruise lines..... but despite all the smoke and mirrors, you can still go under the 12 OFAC Categories,  I will be there in August?:

The 12 licensed categories include:

• Visiting family
  • Humanitarian projects or to provide support to the Cuban people
  • Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments and certain intergovernmental organizations
  • Journalistic activities
  • Professional research
  • Educational activities by persons at academic institutions
  • People to people travel <---
  • Religious activities
  • Public performance, clinics, workshops, athletic or other competitions and exhibitions
  • Authorization to provide travel services, carrier services and remittance forwarding services
  • Activities of private foundations, research or educational institutes
  • Exportation of certain Internet-based services

1 hour ago, bugman78629 said:

Mainly targeting the cruise lines..... but despite all the smoke and mirrors, you can still go under the 12 OFAC Categories,  I will be there in August?:

The 12 licensed categories include:

• Visiting family
  • Humanitarian projects or to provide support to the Cuban people
  • Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments and certain intergovernmental organizations
  • Journalistic activities
  • Professional research
  • Educational activities by persons at academic institutions
  • People to people travel <---
  • Religious activities
  • Public performance, clinics, workshops, athletic or other competitions and exhibitions
  • Authorization to provide travel services, carrier services and remittance forwarding services
  • Activities of private foundations, research or educational institutes

Easier justifying "support to Cuban people" 

IF, and that is a huge if, they ever call you out on it

4 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

This was just an example..... you choose from the 12 categories that fits your needs??

This one I think is new: 

That you Cory?

On 4/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

What?! You mean the ladies now hand out facturas? I never knew you could ask for one?!?! :lookaround: :hole: :P

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

This one I think is new: 

That you Cory?

Yeah, in a major way. I hadn't seen that either.  But I think there was one related to telecom. Maybe they changed the wording.

I also thought "People to People" was the category that Trump removed, dropping the current total down to 11, soon to be 1. "Family" @bugman78629 where did you pull that list from?

46 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Yeah, in a major way. I hadn't seen that either.  But I think there was one related to telecom. Maybe they changed the wording.

I also thought "People to People" was the category that Trump removed, dropping the current total down to 11, soon to be 1. "Family" @bugman78629 where did you pull that list from?

https://expertvagabond.com/travel-to-cuba-for-americans/